fps

Kit
Reaction score
How do you apply the expression pedal to a parameter on a patch guys?

EDIT: Got it. Been tweaking patches again, I find the sound is better when the mix is not 100% left and right but more centred.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Ok so just got back from my gig with the new HD Pro. First off it was a kick ass gig, folks moshing, lots of horns flying :hbang: i think i could have played with a 10 watt crate miced up and we would have rocked it anyway.

I've still got some tweaking to do, but considering i just got the unit Wednesday and use about 20 different patches throughout the night (and even then each patch has two signals - one for 4x12 cab, one for PA), it went well. Had to do some major tweaking once the PA was hooked up - my signal was too hot and too much high end, but once i got it sorted it sounded pretty good, with a few patches needed some seriuous tweaking. It's definitely not the same as having my dual rec behind me, or even as good tone, but it works well and i think i can get it closer with more tweaking. Keep in my mind i didn't even get to PRACTICE with this pod before this gig.

I'm not sold on going direct, i might be better served sticking with the power amp and cab and micing it up, that way there's no surprises and i don't have to deal with cab modeling. I'll probably always bring a cab for show anyway. Any thoughts on which can potentially sound better with the HD pro? Direct or power amp/cab?

So going from using a real Dual Rec (and Pod XT) to the pod HD pro, I'm happy. It doesn't sound quite as good for classic high gain, but the two slipknot songs we played in B and drop A sounded better actually - again, i still need to tweak more. The sound guy said it sounded good, a trusted band friend said the same. :hbang: The best part was having just an FBV express at my feet!! I used to have a full pedal board AND the FBV!! Oh yeah breaking down after the gig is better too! Satisfied gigging musician here.

Are you using a mid focus eq to high and low pass your signal? That will deal with your overly bright tones.

What sounds better really depends on you. Going through a power amp and cab will sound like an amp and cab in the room. Going direct will sound like a mic'd amp no matter what. I personally prefer the sound of a mic'd amp so the pod is perfect for me as I don't even own an amp anymore.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
^^ I'll check out the Mid focus EQ, I appreciate all your tips. yeah i think i'm more of a mic'd cab guy. I like knowing ahead of time exactly how everything will sound coming from my cab, and then just have the sound guy mic it. Not sure how fond i am of the cab models, so i like having my own cab taking care of that part. I can still keep my stage volume low. Either way, i think my tube amps will be collecting some dust for awhile

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
You un-married bastard.

HAH! I've only been single for a month or so. I had a fiance that I supported :lol:
Now will be epic toy buying time! :D (after I pay canada revenue off :rofl:)

IMG_00000108.jpg

Some pedals I use on a regular :)

japs5607

Reaction score
amp is only for going into the front end. line is for going to basically any other source. the preamp of an amp head needs a lower level signal, hence the amp setting. i guarantee thats your problem. youll notice a HUGE increase in volume on the line setting.

I tried this today at practice. What a difference. Now only running the volume at the 12 o'clock position as opposed to 3.

Thanks for the great tip

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
amp is only for going into the front end. line is for going to basically any other source. the preamp of an amp head needs a lower level signal, hence the amp setting. i guarantee thats your problem. youll notice a HUGE increase in volume on the line setting.

I was curious about this myself, i went with "LINE" into my power amp as it just sounded better to me. Especially for cleans, i can't stand a weaker signal that comes from padding the input or "Amp" setting on the output, seems to lose the fatness.

Also, i tried the midfocus EQ - works great for medium to high gain patches!! After some tweaking yesterday, i'm sticking with using my own power and cab. I can get it way more natural sounding - sounds amazing actually! I'm sure other folks are having great success direct to PA, this is just what works well for me. Now i really can't wait for the next gig - going to sound beastly

ZachK

Ronda Rousey Fanboy
Reaction score
I'm looking I into getting the pod hd500 or the HD pro

Could I hypothetically just run it through the loop of my JSX and have th JSX act as more or less a power amp? If I ever wanna use it live..

And for recording I shod just be able to hook my guitar into the unit, unit to Mac and I'm good to go yeah?

I'm not super Familiar with line 6 stuff. Especially the pods

MrYakob

Reaction score
I'm looking I into getting the pod hd500 or the HD pro

Could I hypothetically just run it through the loop of my JSX and have th JSX act as more or less a power amp? If I ever wanna use it live..

And for recording I shod just be able to hook my guitar into the unit, unit to Mac and I'm good to go yeah?

I'm not super Familiar with line 6 stuff. Especially the pods

That's all been covered in here, but in short, Yes and Yes. These things rock!:shred:

ZachK

Ronda Rousey Fanboy
Reaction score
That's all been covered in here, but in short, Yes and Yes. These things rock!:shred:

Fantastic.

I'm debating between the 400, 500 and the Pro.

I really like the fact I can run dual amp models of the pro and 500, am I able to do that on my Mac wi the 400. As in make a patch on there, save it to the pod 400 and go?

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Fantastic.

I'm debating between the 400, 500 and the Pro.

I really like the fact I can run dual amp models of the pro and 500, am I able to do that on my Mac wi the 400. As in make a patch on there, save it to the pod 400 and go?

If you get anything but the 500, pro or bean, you will end up hating it. Your limited to less fx blocks as well as certain fx share blocks so you can't have basically anything you need active at the same time.

The dual amp in a way is a waste. Two different amps together sound like garbage. HOWEVER, when you run the same amp but with different cabs, you can get a much fuller frequency response.

Take a listen to any of the tracks that guys here are posting and ask if you can get the same tone with the hd400. The answer is always NO.

ZachK

Ronda Rousey Fanboy
Reaction score
If you get anything but the 500, pro or bean, you will end up hating it. Your limited to less fx blocks as well as certain fx share blocks so you can't have basically anything you need active at the same time.

The dual amp in a way is a waste. Two different amps together sound like garbage. HOWEVER, when you run the same amp but with different cabs, you can get a much fuller frequency response.

Take a listen to any of the tracks that guys here are posting and ask if you can get the same tone with the hd400. The answer is always NO.

This is the bean right?

I completely forgot about the bean.. Hmm. Decisions, decisions. Can you recommend one or the other (bean vs pro) I don't really need an expression pedal

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
I secong the two amps not sounding that great together. It s fun and a cool concept but my best sounding parches use one or two of the same amp. The dual amps do open up more routing possibilities though. I have the pro with the fbv express mk1. I just use a bank for each song live. Love how simple my setup has become live. Just one cable for the fbv running from my backline!! :hbang: last gig I aas able to really perform, jump around like an idiot and all that due to the freedom. Awesome

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
This is the bean right?

I completely forgot about the bean.. Hmm. Decisions, decisions. Can you recommend one or the other (bean vs pro) I don't really need an expression pedal

The bean is the hd desktop. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have an external fx loop, otherwise it's the better choice unless you want rack gear. I have an hd500 though. I have mine sitting on the pullout keyboard tray of my desk, so I really don't need the expression pedal either, but I prefer it's shape. And if I ever played in a band again, I would appreciate the footswitches.

PodHdBean

Reaction score
yeah the bean has no fx block or midi in and out.ONLY works with FBV Floorboards Cant use a midi controller.Also only has 3 outputs NO XLR outs
The bean is the hd desktop. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have an external fx loop, otherwise it's the better choice unless you want rack gear. I have an hd500 though. I have mine sitting on the pullout keyboard tray of my desk, so I really don't need the expression pedal either, but I prefer it's shape. And if I ever played in a band again, I would appreciate the footswitches.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
One thing that I've mentioned numerous times, is that line6 has ALL of this information on their website. They have a very comprehensive page that directly compares all the features of every hd model.

I really dont understand why people don't look there first....

brutalwizard

Pretty Your Petunia
Reaction score
So I got an hd500 today, Updated it.

Now No amp has any distortion. I mean literally angel fball at 100% gain no other blocks filled is giving me a clean tone.

Tried rolling back a few times, tried my all cords and different guitars.

Whats up with this thing haha

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
So I got an hd500 today, Updated it.

Now No amp has any distortion. I mean literally angel fball at 100% gain no other blocks filled is giving me a clean tone.

Tried rolling back a few times, tried my all cords and different guitars.

Whats up with this thing haha

Is the amp model actually active? Try highlighting it and pressing the enter button and if there's a change.

Also check your settings in your setup menu. Perhaps your input is set to something that it shouldn't be.