This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

feilong29

Reaction score
I'm not, however, you are acting very hostile. No arguing.

The thing is, a guitar synthesizer and a keyboard synthesizer are different due to the properties of the instruments (transients, the actual method they are played, frequencies, etc.) Can a guitar be a synth? Yes. Can it sound EXACTLY like a keyboard synth...well...maybe (if you're uber-positive). Can it be an actual keyboard synth? No.

If you want that tone, run a MIDI controller (whether it's a MIDI-capable guitar or MIDI-capable keyboard).

I'm trying to help, just give me a few to tweak your tones, and don't come off as so hostile.

(P.S. - I know some guys that would give you a keyboard for a few bucks. Less than $20 actually. As long as you paid shipping.)

Hey Man! You are right. I'm sorry; I didn't proof read what I wrote. Truth be told, a co-worker of mine was murdered last night so, it's been a rough day, and probably not the best of times to request things. Please accept my apology. If you could get me in touch with someone with a keyboard, I'd greatly appreciate it!

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
RG827QMZ with a D-Activator in the bridge :)

EDIT: It's practically the same guitar. RG827 came with Ibanez stock PUs and RG927 comes with DiMarzio/Ibanez stock PUs.

I know ;) I have an rg927qm with a dimarzio crunch lab. Still the best guitar I've ever owned. I even had a prestige series ibanez 7 and I like this one better for some reason.

If you haven't yet, you should use some 0000 steel wool on the neck. It makes a HUGE difference. So nice and smooth. I use it on all my necks now.

Reaction score
I know ;) I have an rg927qm with a dimarzio crunch lab. Still the best guitar I've ever owned. I even had a prestige series ibanez 7 and I like this one better for some reason.

If you haven't yet, you should use some 0000 steel wool on the neck. It makes a HUGE difference. So nice and smooth. I use it on all my necks now.

Nice! It's the best guitar I've ever owned too.

You mean like sand the neck?

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Nice! It's the best guitar I've ever owned too.

You mean like sand the neck?

Sort of. It basically polishes it. 0000 steel wool is so fine it doesn't really sand. It gets rid of the "gritty" sort of feeling and makes it smooth, shiny and super fast. The non-prestige ibanez's all basically have overspray from the laquer on the necks. This gets rid of it. You'll thank me when it's done. You don't even need to take the neck off or anything.

Reaction score
Sort of. It basically polishes it. 0000 steel wool is so fine it doesn't really sand. It gets rid of the "gritty" sort of feeling and makes it smooth, shiny and super fast. The non-prestige ibanez's all basically have overspray from the laquer on the necks. This gets rid of it. You'll thank me when it's done. You don't even need to take the neck off or anything.

Sounds great! The neck is super soft, but I'll see if I can find that steel wool you mentioned and give it a try :). Thanks for the advice Ricky!

riffy

Reaction score
http://line6.com/customtone/tone/225063/

not sure which redwirez to use. the mic choice played a very important role in this tone. you'll have to just experiment. hes using a marshall cab in the video so i would say start with the bogner g12t-75 and maybe the sm57. then just try different mics. anything thats 2" distance and cap edge should work fairly well.

also, ive hit 2100 plays on my youtube, so this will be my tone for the hundred. at 2200 views ill make another one. possibly ola's engl retrotube? ;)

Bro, that freakin' sounds awesome! Thank you so much for sharing so much!

Gary:shred:

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
To be honest I think my love affair with the HD500 is over. I had a really good long HD500 nerd out today, same as I always do.

Then went and caught up with some friends later in the evening who had their Axe FX ultra and Axe FX II setups in the room. I dialed up a 5150 tone in 10 seconds (I've owned 4 5150s in my time, they are my favourite high gain amp)

I've had the HD500 since day one (seriously, got the first one that arrived in New Zealand) and it simply doesn't do the 5150 tone I want, or like. Nothing close to it actually.

My current bands are pure rhythm only, I don't need crazy effects (I still have my B rig which has a Line 6 M5 on a pedaltrain nano, so if I need a basic digital delay before the amp, I'll do that)

I think I'm going to sell up, move a few guitars and look for a 2nd hand Axe Fx Standard. I just want the 5150 tone and continue with my D.I / Powered monitor setup.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
I'm also interested to know if anyone's got good synthy tones out of the POD HD and what FX blocks they'd recommend starting with. I assume some kind of octave, maybe two, with some delay and a filter sweep of some kind.

There isn't really a good envelope filter on the POD HD is there? Otherwise it's miraculous of course.

Poltergeist

Reaction score
I'm also interested to know if anyone's got good synthy tones out of the POD HD and what FX blocks they'd recommend starting with. I assume some kind of octave, maybe two, with some delay and a filter sweep of some kind.

There isn't really a good envelope filter on the POD HD is there? Otherwise it's miraculous of course.

there are a ton of Synth patches on Custom tone if you wish to see what others are using... I personally like what Johnny is doing in this Youtube video.. Gave me some great inspiration.

Dabo Fett

Reaction score
I'm thinking about picking up a hd pro rackmount today, but with the 500x coming out, should I wait for a hd pro x? Not just for the little extra dsp, but will there also be a drop in price on the current pro?

tripguitar

Settler of Catan
Reaction score
EDIT: i replied to the post above, which i had misread. my reply was therefore irrelevant.

un-related:

can the way you plug in the power supply affect hum or noise? i was getting some extra buzz/noise the other night, and when i turned off the noise gate to check it out i realized it was the sound of my ceiling fan's motor coming through my HD500!! someone told me to un-plug the power supply, and plug it backwards (compared to how i have it plugged in now). just wondering if my buddy is full of shit or if there's some validity to it. (i would check myself, but i will be away from my rig for a few days)

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
EDIT: i replied to the post above, which i had misread. my reply was therefore irrelevant.

un-related:

can the way you plug in the power supply affect hum or noise? i was getting some extra buzz/noise the other night, and when i turned off the noise gate to check it out i realized it was the sound of my ceiling fan's motor coming through my HD500!! someone told me to un-plug the power supply, and plug it backwards (compared to how i have it plugged in now). just wondering if my buddy is full of shit or if there's some validity to it. (i would check myself, but i will be away from my rig for a few days)

Either your buddy is an idiot or he takes you for one. The direction the plug is facing makes no difference.

Different things can add noise through the electrical circuits. The pod is fairly sensitive. If your not plugged into a power bar you should start with that. If that doesn't help try a different outlet. I had an issue with noise just having my pa speaker plugged into the same power bar. It wasn't even turned on!

If no outlet makes a difference then you might just have a poor ground in your house. If that's the case you'll either have to just live with it, or buy a high quality power bar that isolates the dirty power. The ones they sell for really high end home theatre setups work well.

tripguitar

Settler of Catan
Reaction score
Either your buddy is an idiot or he takes you for one. The direction the plug is facing makes no difference.

Different things can add noise through the electrical circuits. The pod is fairly sensitive. If your not plugged into a power bar you should start with that. If that doesn't help try a different outlet. I had an issue with noise just having my pa speaker plugged into the same power bar. It wasn't even turned on!

If no outlet makes a difference then you might just have a poor ground in your house. If that's the case you'll either have to just live with it, or buy a high quality power bar that isolates the dirty power. The ones they sell for really high end home theatre setups work well.

Thanks Ricky! good advice here. Although he said to switch not because of which way it was facing but because the positives/negatives were reversed. i believe he said "you've got your polarity reversed" :scratch:

meh i trust you more than him!! thanks again.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks Ricky! good advice here. Although he said to switch not because of which way it was facing but because the positives/negatives were reversed. i believe he said "you've got your polarity reversed" :scratch:

meh i trust you more than him!! thanks again.

Pretty sure it doesn't work like that. The third round prong is the ground. If it mattered which way it went it would have one prong wider than the other.

It's too bad more people don't trust me more than their friends! Lol

Poltergeist

Reaction score
I normally record my Pod via SPDIF Out into my interface, and almost all my patches were created with Combo Power Amp Mode selected... What I'm wondering, do you have to use Studio/Direct for recording via SPDIF, or is it cool to leave it in Combo Power Amp mode? Studio Direct just sucks out a lot of the low end punch in some of my patches, that's why I'm wondering if others record in a non-studio/direct mode as well for the purpose of preserving the EQ.

Allealex

Reaction score
I really love to use my Pod as a preamp and i'm using my 6505 112's power amp, but i think i'm gonna sell it because i don't use it if not as a power amp, so i want to buy a new power amp, do you guys know if a tube power amp is better than a SS one?