RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
I really love to use my Pod as a preamp and i'm using my 6505 112's power amp, but i think i'm gonna sell it because i don't use it if not as a power amp, so i want to buy a new power amp, do you guys know if a tube power amp is better than a SS one?

It's all preference. There really isn't a "better" solid state will be much lighter and cost you less over time since you won't be replacing tubes.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
I normally record my Pod via SPDIF Out into my interface, and almost all my patches were created with Combo Power Amp Mode selected... What I'm wondering, do you have to use Studio/Direct for recording via SPDIF, or is it cool to leave it in Combo Power Amp mode? Studio Direct just sucks out a lot of the low end punch in some of my patches, that's why I'm wondering if others record in a non-studio/direct mode as well for the purpose of preserving the EQ.

I'm pretty sure combo mode has a bass boost. Really you can do whatever you want. There isn't a right or wrong, but there's a chance that you could get a better tone using the "proper" setting.

Dabo Fett

Reaction score
as im waiting for my hd pro to come in the mail, i was reading the manual and came up with a question that hopefully ends in yes. can you use bass cab mics on the guitar cab sims? i use my real shure sm7b on my guitars all the time, and i was excited to see it listed as an option until i saw it was a bass cab mic for some reason

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
as im waiting for my hd pro to come in the mail, i was reading the manual and came up with a question that hopefully ends in yes. can you use bass cab mics on the guitar cab sims? i use my real shure sm7b on my guitars all the time, and i was excited to see it listed as an option until i saw it was a bass cab mic for some reason

No, you can't. Sorry.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Ok, so a little bit has been brewing.

First thing to share is for anyone that uses my Satan HD patch. I found a way to get an even more Ola-ish tone. Record your first track with the patch unaltered, and then for the second track, turn the frequency to 92% on the Q filter. It gives you that really bright twangy/metallic string tone. Sounds so killer together.

That being said, I finally finished my Feared cover song. I just need to film my play through and it will be time for sharing. Then you can hear a sample of what I'm talking about.

Also, I'm getting close to 2200 views, and that means a new tone! I won't even cheat and use the altered Satan HD patch as the tone.

Reaction score
Hey Ricky, what settings would you recommend for getting a modern Deftones-ish tone?

I actually got a patch for that. A clean one that sounds lovely with dissonant chords or picking (like what you hear in "Hexagram" in the intro). And then I got two distorted patches. One is low-gain and the other is high-gain with a bit of vintage flavor to it. Roll down the volume on your guitar while playing through either and you can see how versatile they are. I can give 'em to ya.

Poltergeist

Reaction score
I actually got a patch for that. A clean one that sounds lovely with dissonant chords or picking (like what you hear in "Hexagram" in the intro). And then I got two distorted patches. One is low-gain and the other is high-gain with a bit of vintage flavor to it. Roll down the volume on your guitar while playing through either and you can see how versatile they are. I can give 'em to ya.

I would appreciate/be intrested in some Deftones-ish patches. I really love Stephen Carpenters' tone and try to model a lot of my patches around his tone/ Chino's rhythm tone. I'd love to hear what you've created... I do have a high-gain dual Angel F-ball patch that I think is pretty close to what you hear on Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan that I'm willing to share as well...

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just made a pretty ridiculous synth tone in the POD HD500, which I'm using in the loop of my Axe-Fx. The HD500's pedal controls the Whammy on the Axe-Fx via midi :)

itsallinmyh3ad

...Made me do it.
Reaction score

That'd be awesome!

meambobbo

Reaction score
Thanks Ricky! good advice here. Although he said to switch not because of which way it was facing but because the positives/negatives were reversed. i believe he said "you've got your polarity reversed" :scratch:

meh i trust you more than him!! thanks again.

positive and negative on an alternating current... :rolleyes:

I believe the large plug is "hot" and the smaller plug is "neutral". Neutral is said to be "live" and carries current, although it is generally kept near ground potential. The "hot" is where the potential is constantly reversing, causing current to flow from hot to neutral or from neutral to hot.

The Pod HD power supply is a DC power supply designed to convert AC to DC. Since the part you plug in the outlet is AC, it doesn't matter what direction you plug it in. The transformer will supply a constant source of DC in the same direction regardless.

Dabo Fett

Reaction score
so i just got my hd pro, and while its not a replacement for my mesa mark v, its definitely stopped my gas for alot of other amps and effects and is definitely an amazing tool for writing and demoing. any tips for getting rid of that high end digitally fizz i seem to get? i believe in my first patch ive gotten rid of most of it, but i had to use eq's before and after. any other useful tips?