meambobbo

Reaction score
def use pad switch, lower pickups, external compressor/radial dragster if you are clipping when you use the tuner or have a completely blank patch. just be sure you're actually clipping IN the Pod, not an external downstream interface/mixer/etc.

if clipping is occurring inside the signal chain, the main culprits are EQ effects and/or anything boosting the overall signal level into clipping. An easy way to reduce signal level from the get-go is to use Input 2: Variax/Mic (any unused input), just be careful to use a mono-summing effect if you need signal into Ch. B (bottom of the signal path after the split).

Mid-Focus EQ boosts at level 50% (considering you have the cutoff freqs all the way to the extremes so it does nothing). Use 0% for no boost. Check out the EQ page in my guide (check my sig) for graphs of what they're actually doing. There's also a clipping troubleshooting guide in there with more detail.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
hey guys, I have a request for anyone with decent ears.

How do I get close to these tones from Coroner's Grin? (from way back before some of you were probably born...)

I am after the main rhythm sound, and also the solo tones (solo from 3:04 to 4:08). This is one of my favourite solos of all time, particularly the tapped arpeggios from 3:53. Remember this was from 1993....

also chasing the tones from the earlier 1991 album, Mental Vortex:

also a godly solo in this one, Tommy Vertelli is a genius. fluid, lyrical solos, insanely crushing riffs.

Not even sure what amps to start with...

had a quick listen to the first one. i would say the jcm800 model would be a good starting point. you may be able to get it with the bogner, but i think it would be more work. try the jcm800 with no boost, power and preamp distortion around 70% and make sure your input impedance is 3.5m. once you have that set, try playing with your bias. probably turn bias up above 50% before you do that.

let me know how that works out for you.

Reaction score
Anyway, you guys know that I don't really post much in this thread, nor have I ever made requests, but I actually have one now.

Go follow this link to another thread and listen to the song/video attached in the ORIGINAL POST: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/bass-guitar-discussion/243215-gnarly-bass-tone.html#post3636858

Now, I am trying to achieve that same bass tone that Mikael Niklasson used on that album. (Dark Tranquillity - Character.) Do you guys (or POD gurus) think you could help me design a bass patch that sound to emulate that massive bass tone?

For convenience, here is a link to the video here too: Dark Tranquillity - Out of Nothing

Baaaaaaa-duh-da-bump!

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
I'd help out, but I'm not as fussy with my bass tones so I've only used two different ones in all my tracks. This leaves me with a lot less tweaking knowledge.

feilong29

Reaction score
Hey guys! Got a tone request as well; hope you don't mind :D

I'm trying to figure out a good direction to start making synth leads with my HD500. If you listen to this Motionless in White song starting at :50 you hear the choir ahs (I think) and then another synth at 1:32. I have a patch that I got on YouTube but it doesn't play right. It's really choppy :/ I've uploaded them so you can check them out! I would REALLY appreciate any help or advice. Thanks in advance!

Patches are: Dark Synths and Space Lead Key

http://line6.com/customtone/profile/feilong29

Reaction score
Hey guys! Got a tone request as well; hope you don't mind :D

I'm trying to figure out a good direction to start making synth leads with my HD500. If you listen to this Motionless in White song starting at :50 you hear the choir ahs (I think) and then another synth at 1:32. I have a patch that I got on YouTube but it doesn't play right. It's really choppy :/ I've uploaded them so you can check them out! I would REALLY appreciate any help or advice. Thanks in advance!

Patches are: Dark Synths and Space Lead Key

http://line6.com/customtone/profile/feilong29

Dude...I am lost here...what are you looking for?...

Those synths are from Josh Balz's keyboard....guitars can't really create keyboard leads like that...get a keyboard or MIDI controller?...

Reaction score
I'd help out, but I'm not as fussy with my bass tones so I've only used two different ones in all my tracks. This leaves me with a lot less tweaking knowledge.

Understandable Big R.!

I don't have work or online coursework today, so I'm spending the day fiddling based on info I have found online and from past posts on other forums. Almost got it... I will post the patch when I am done. (Damn, I really want a Darkglass B7K or B3K pedal now though...found out that Alex Webster of Cannibal Corpse uses them...the boom and impact they add to the bass tone is massive!)

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Understandable Big R.!

I don't have work or online coursework today, so I'm spending the day fiddling based on info I have found online and from past posts on other forums. Almost got it... I will post the patch when I am done. (Damn, I really want a Darkglass B7K or B3K pedal now though...found out that Alex Webster of Cannibal Corpse uses them...the boom and impact they add to the bass tone is massive!)

Or you could just buy a dingwall or specter bass and it would sound perfect as is ;)

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Your live and studio tones are supposed to sound different. They are completely different environments. It would be like that with any amp or other amp modeler.

Yeah i hear you man, i'm not talking studio vs live, just low volume vs high volume. Line 6 seems to push the "same tone at all volumes" thing, but in practice it doesn't work so well, probably by no fault of the pod. So unless i'm at gig levels when editing my patches, i'm normally in for at least some tone change when i get to the gig.

jimwratt

Reaction score
What's gonna happen with the POD pricing now the 500x will be coming out?

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah i hear you man, i'm not talking studio vs live, just low volume vs high volume. Line 6 seems to push the "same tone at all volumes" thing, but in practice it doesn't work so well, probably by no fault of the pod. So unless i'm at gig levels when editing my patches, i'm normally in for at least some tone change when i get to the gig.

Two words: speaker distortion.

Reaction score
Or you could just buy a dingwall or specter bass and it would sound perfect as is ;)

Don't have the money for a Dingwall. Ha.

Played a Spector...it was nice...but not for me. I do love the Alex Webster (Cannibal Corpse) signature Spector though...but I'm not a fan of dishing out a ton of money on "signature" gear when it's just a name stamped on something with a custom paint job.

feilong29

Reaction score
Dude...I am lost here...what are you looking for?...

Those synths are from Josh Balz's keyboard....guitars can't really create keyboard leads like that...get a keyboard or MIDI controller?...

Let's see, what did I ask for? OH, the synth tones from the times mentioned from that song. Wings of Obsidian, if you want to fund a keyboard for me, I'll gladly use it, but until then, my POD is the best I can do, and it can do a lot of things. I don't think they would put a synth emulator in it if you couldn't replicate usable synth tones. Obviously he's using a keyboard...

Second of all, the patches I've made are pretty close, and I'm simply asking for some help tweaking them (The Space Key Lead by getting that 'chopping' effect out of it) if possible. Did you even check them out? If not, please don't insult me.

Reaction score
Let's see, what did I ask for? OH, the synth tones from the times mentioned from that song. Wings of Obsidian, if you want to fund a keyboard for me, I'll gladly use it, but until then, my POD is the best I can do, and it can do a lot of things. I don't think they would put a synth emulator in it if you couldn't replicate usable synth tones. Obviously he's using a keyboard...

Second of all, the patches I've made are pretty close, and I'm simply asking for some help tweaking them (The Space Key Lead by getting that 'chopping' effect out of it) if possible. Did you even check them out? If not, please don't insult me.

I'm not, however, you are acting very hostile. No arguing.

The thing is, a guitar synthesizer and a keyboard synthesizer are different due to the properties of the instruments (transients, the actual method they are played, frequencies, etc.) Can a guitar be a synth? Yes. Can it sound EXACTLY like a keyboard synth...well...maybe (if you're uber-positive). Can it be an actual keyboard synth? No.

If you want that tone, run a MIDI controller (whether it's a MIDI-capable guitar or MIDI-capable keyboard).

I'm trying to help, just give me a few to tweak your tones, and don't come off as so hostile.

(P.S. - I know some guys that would give you a keyboard for a few bucks. Less than $20 actually. As long as you paid shipping.)

Reaction score
Just a small video I made to honor a defunct band from my country. Even if the mix is fair, I hope you can notice the sound of the guitar. It's not the best recording since my pc was connected to internet, downloading, etc and I was recording at the lowest latency possible (64 samples) on my interface over the S/PDIF, so there were some underruns with clicking. Patch are dual amps (I think fireball and treadplate, don't remember) and the whammy before the amps. Of course, a couple of hard gates before the amps.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Just a small video I made to honor a defunct band from my country. Even if the mix is fair, I hope you can notice the sound of the guitar. It's not the best recording since my pc was connected to internet, downloading, etc and I was recording at the lowest latency possible (64 samples) on my interface over the S/PDIF, so there were some underruns with clicking. Patch are dual amps (I think fireball and treadplate, don't remember) and the whammy before the amps. Of course, a couple of hard gates before the amps.

Is that an rg927?