atoni

Reaction score
I have HD500 and Mackie HD1521. Is there difference between following connections

1. HD500 balanced output XLR (left) to Mackie XLR main input
  2. HD500 unbalanced output 1/4" (L/mono) line level to Mackie XLR main input

Currently going from balanced output XLR (left) to Mackie XLR main input...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

feilong29

Reaction score
I have HD500 and Mackie HD1521. Is there difference between following connections

1. HD500 balanced output XLR (left) to Mackie XLR main input
  2. HD500 unbalanced output 1/4" (L/mono) line level to Mackie XLR main input

Currently going from balanced output XLR (left) to Mackie XLR main input...

I have tried both, and unless when I tried the XLR I neglected to adjust the master volume, the XLR is MUCH more quieter, to the point where I thought my cables were bad, lol, but the 1/4" is louder. The XLR for the POD HD vs the Axe Fx is light night and day; I have to crank the master volume up a LOT on the POD HD than when I had my Axe Fx, but that's no biggie.

Rygar91

Reaction score
Im looking to invest in my first pair of studio monitors and I wanted to ask those of you using monitors, with the Pod HD as your interface, what the best way to plug your monitors in would be.

Poltergeist

Reaction score
Im looking to invest in my first pair of studio monitors and I wanted to ask those of you using monitors, with the Pod HD as your interface, what the best way to plug your monitors in would be.

I'd say XLR cables into the back of your monitors. Depends if the monitors you're using provide an XLR input, of course, because XLR never sum to mono, so you get the right stereo Fx sounds coming from the POD, and some say better quality... I really don't know if this is truly the best way or not, I'm just going off of what I've read.

I'm not using my POD as my interface, I use the S/PDIF out of the POD into an Mbox, so different approach compared to you, but that's what I'd do if I was in your situation.

Off topic: Was wondering if anyone could suggest a good starting point to try to kill the hiss and fizz of high gain tones ( I guess the 2khz range?) with either a parametric eq or a mid focus eq?
Still struggling to get the EQ's to do what I want after owning the POD for a few months now.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
I'd say XLR cables into the back of your monitors. Depends if the monitors you're using provide an XLR input, of course, because XLR never sum to mono, so you get the right stereo Fx sounds coming from the POD, and some say better quality... I really don't know if this is truly the best way or not, I'm just going off of what I've read.

I'm not using my POD as my interface, I use the S/PDIF out of the POD into an Mbox, so different approach compared to you, but that's what I'd do if I was in your situation.

Off topic: Was wondering if anyone could suggest a good starting point to try to kill the hiss and fizz of high gain tones ( I guess the 2khz range?) with either a parametric eq or a mid focus eq?
Still struggling to get the EQ's to do what I want after owning the POD for a few months now.
Are you using a mid focus eq as a high/low pass? Just getting rid of the really high end sizzle makes a huge difference. You need some fizz for your tone to fill out a mix.

You can also just set the parametric to Q at 80 and gain at 30 and rotate the frequency knob until you find what your looking for. It only goes up to 4000hz though.

Poltergeist

Reaction score
Thanks, Ricky.. I'll try that out this evening with some of my patches! Yes, I'm using the mid focus for a high/low pass.. trying to tame a couple dual angel-f ball patches I made...looking for a nice warm low end for my 8 string rhythm patches, which I'm close to achieving with the F-ball, however they've got way too much sizzle on the high end of these patches and I'm trying to make them as clear as possible.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks, Ricky.. I'll try that out this evening with some of my patches! Yes, I'm using the mid focus for a high/low pass.. trying to tame a couple dual angel-f ball patches I made...looking for a nice warm low end for my 8 string rhythm patches, which I'm close to achieving with the F-ball, however they've got way too much sizzle on the high end of these patches and I'm trying to make them as clear as possible.

You could also try a studio eq. It has either the 5000 or 8000hz adjustment. 5000hz is probably what your looking for.

MetalBuddah

0000 00 0 0 00 000
Reaction score
So....some of you may know that my HD500 broke at the beginning of the summer. Well, I decided to crack her open today and take a look what was inside. Lo and behold I found this little stamp on the mother board.

1002509_10151901202216802_1611224677_n.jpg

I am guessing that Line 6 had originally wanted the device to be called the "Pod X4 Live" but then opted to HD500.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
For those of you that haven't noticed or joined yet, my competition is started on the pod hd group on Facebook. I posted the link a page or two back. You only have until Thursday to enter!

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Also, I'm heading home today, so I GUESS I'll upload that patch soon. I may have to record another sample or two. I have a hankering to try it with some redwirez impulses as well. I always hope it's not TOO awesome, because then I might feel the need to re record my whole album that's in progress with it lol

catalan

Reaction score
So I just got an HD Pro rack and I'm trying to figure out how to run it through my amp. It's a line 6 spider IV amp, i know it might not sound as good but this is the only option right now besides my pc. I haven't even heard what its capable of with my own ears, if someone could help that would be so awesome and I would be highly grateful. Could I even run it through a line 6 spider IV amp?

Insinfier

Reaction score
It technically could, but it isn't the most efficient way of enjoying that piece of gear. It would be kinda dirty. The Spider might hold back the HD's abilities, depending on what the power amp of the Spider is like and what cab/speaker it will be going into.

PodHdBean

Reaction score
make sure you plug the pod into the spider through the aux in.If the is a effects loop plug the pod into the return.You want to bypass the preamp sound of the spider
So I just got an HD Pro rack and I'm trying to figure out how to run it through my amp. It's a line 6 spider IV amp, i know it might not sound as good but this is the only option right now besides my pc. I haven't even heard what its capable of with my own ears, if someone could help that would be so awesome and I would be highly grateful. Could I even run it through a line 6 spider IV amp?

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Success!!! I know few people give a hoot but im going to post anyway....

The pod hd sounded great last night at the gig. With the bass backed off to about 10 oclock on the recto model, running though the 50/50 power amp, i was clear and defined all night! Im in love with this rig. One button patch changes, every tone i need and all of them sound great, killer tube power, minimal gear hauling, quick setup. Gonna stick with this awhile.