ShadowFactoryX

OMNIHILITY
Reaction score
Below the chrome footpedals, there's a microswitch soldered into the board. That's probably the cause they don't work; they've either worn out or you just stepped them too hard. If you know how to solder and basic knowledge about electronics, you could dissasemble it with patience and replace them. Those microswitches can be found at electronic stores. You just have to be extra careful when de-soldering and soldering, besides not to solder/cut any rails. Before the HD500 I had a Korg AX3000G; footswitches weren't good either, so there was even a pdf online explaining how to replace them. If you're not up to the task, just find and a good electronic repair shop and they should do it without a problem.

Unless there's something new below the sun, most boards are built that way, meaning the switches are not meant to be stepped hard. I know...that's crap because everything outside seems to have been built to last years, and many guitar players are into the Metal genre; makes anyone look like a pussy when switching presets on stage hahah. But that's the way to take care of this board. The HD500X seems to have better pedals, but unless they don't have an onboard microswitch, they are bound to be as delicate as any board.

I just got a nice new digital soldering station...but i still dont feel ok with doing that. Seems too risky of a job to do. But I did see this:

That looks like the perfect mod, but I do find it wierd that both of those switches went at the same time.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I just got a nice new digital soldering station...but i still dont feel ok with doing that. Seems too risky of a job to do. But I did see this:

That looks like the perfect mod, but I do find it wierd that both of those switches went at the same time.

Looks like a great mod. Anything better than those microswitches is worth it. I just don't step it hard. That did work in my previous Korg AX3000G (lasted 4 years without a problem and sold it without having replaced any microswitch).

If you think it's too risky, take it to an electronic repair shop, or even Line 6.

jmeezle

Reaction score
Nice man! Really Ola-ish! I dig your bass tone, was that made with the Pod?

Thanks! I didn't use the Pod for bass but I almost did. I have an awesome patch that I've yet to try. I split the bass into two channels using Amplitube + compression + some eq for the fatness, the second channel uses Amplitube + eq + Logic 9's amp designer for the grit.

Thanks for listening!

Stijnson

Reaction score
Just wanted to say hi to the thread! Recently joined the POD HD family, i received my hd500 yesterday and couldn't be happier. Some regulars in this thread have already helped me out alot with info and guides (Meambobbo) so thanks for that. The unit sounds really good, and i'll demo some tones soon!

ShadowFactoryX

OMNIHILITY
Reaction score
Looks like a great mod. Anything better than those microswitches is worth it. I just don't step it hard. That did work in my previous Korg AX3000G (lasted 4 years without a problem and sold it without having replaced any microswitch).

If you think it's too risky, take it to an electronic repair shop, or even Line 6.

I guess Ill open a support ticket to L6 and see what they say.

teamSKDM

Reaction score
this thread is so long, i dont see why its not stickied. anyways, I have a question. Im a pod x3/xt fan because i LOVE the big bottom amp so much, and was so bummed in the HD series removing it. But ive become to look into depth at some other amps on the HD series i might like, and I like the soldano sim. seems to be great for rhythm and leads, much like the big bottom was for me. for fans of both, and with experience with both, how do you feel about hd soldano vs x3 big bottom? also, do the Hd series feel and sound more organic than the xt/x3 series, or would you say that theyre all the same feel through and through?
Would it be worth selling my podxt which i use for my live sound with big bottom, to buy an hd300 for live sound?

Leuchty

Previously CYBERSYN
Reaction score
^ I wouldnt get the 300.

I would save for either the 500 or Pro. If you're happy with the XT why rush into the bottom model? The 300 is pretty limited.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, don't waste your time with the hd300. You'll just end up selling it.

You guys will all be happy to know that it looks like I won't be selling my hd500. Be aide I might be getting a laney irt-studio and using the HD for effects and such haha

Reaction score
this thread is so long, i dont see why its not stickied. anyways, I have a question. Im a pod x3/xt fan because i LOVE the big bottom amp so much, and was so bummed in the HD series removing it. But ive become to look into depth at some other amps on the HD series i might like, and I like the soldano sim. seems to be great for rhythm and leads, much like the big bottom was for me. for fans of both, and with experience with both, how do you feel about hd soldano vs x3 big bottom? also, do the Hd series feel and sound more organic than the xt/x3 series, or would you say that theyre all the same feel through and through?
Would it be worth selling my podxt which i use for my live sound with big bottom, to buy an hd300 for live sound?

Hey man, read my post right above ya... ;)

AaronGraves

Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you HD Pro users out there have problems with your shortboard mkii. Mine doesn't want to work anymore. I tried calibrating it, and when I press D to exit, the LCD screen just freezes on "check value 127". Have any of you guys had problems like this?

CD1221

Reaction score
How do you guys record using the HD500 with external cab IR's - bypass the cab simulation? Is it even possible?

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score

The Treadplate amp boosted by the Screamer is basically the Big Bottom on steroids. Bias on full, sag all the way down, Master on about 40%.

meambobbo

Reaction score

The HD 300/400 are a little crippled in your ability to shape the tone before you hit the amp model and EQ'ing. The EQ's, Compressors, and Distortion effects are all lumped into the same slot, and you can only use one effect from this slot per patch. So you can't use Distortion (boost pedal) + EQ or compressor. Or if you use comp/distortion, you can't post EQ your tone.

Additionally, the HD's EQ effects aren't really all-in-one effects. You will likely need to use multiple to get a good post-EQ. Considering the wide range of frequency responses from the cab/mic simulation, post-EQ is often essential.

That said, you can get great deals on the HD 500 now that the 500 X is out. The 500 X only adds a bit more DSP, brighter (higher contrast) screen, and sturdier, more colorful footswitches.

As for the Big Bottom vs HD, the HD has the Uber, Treadplate (Dual Rectifier), and F-ball (ENGL Fireball) models. They all sound very good IMO. When properly boosted or pre-EQ'ed, they can get very tight, yet thick and ballsy sounds like the Big Bottom. I always thought the Big Bottom sounded like a 5150 with a bass boost. I find the Uber can nail the 5150 tone if you use a high-pass to reduce the muddiness.

The HD smokes the X3 in terms of organic, natural tone. If you check my soundcloud page (meambobbo), I have a comparison clip for high-gain tones. It's a night and day difference IMO. Of course, like any modeler, you can cause it to sound pretty bad and artificial. Out the box, it's not exactly gig-ready. I wrote a whole guide (check my signature) to help people dial in high gain tones.

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
Has anyone managed to get a kind of electric wizard like patch? I don't think the POD could really reproduce that kind of low end, but I figured it was worth asking.