This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

IdentityDevice

Reaction score
hey guys. been tinkering with my pod hd desktop and I was curious if there is anyone that goes the route of a minimal setup with their patches and does more eq and such in the DAW.?.? I was noticing that adding eq's and gates and tubescreamer yadda yadda does make the tones sound cleaner and tighter but also once I start doing that it seems like the tones don't sound as big and full and I guess maybe sound a little less real amp like. but I could be just doing too much or cutting too much. either way I was just curious if anyone else takes the approach of less is more with the hd amp models.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Anyone know if we will see another update and/or new models anytime soon? Unless ive missed something, its been awhile!

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
hey guys. been tinkering with my pod hd desktop and I was curious if there is anyone that goes the route of a minimal setup with their patches and does more eq and such in the DAW.?.? I was noticing that adding eq's and gates and tubescreamer yadda yadda does make the tones sound cleaner and tighter but also once I start doing that it seems like the tones don't sound as big and full and I guess maybe sound a little less real amp like. but I could be just doing too much or cutting too much. either way I was just curious if anyone else takes the approach of less is more with the hd amp models.

I'm a big believer that less is more, and I think all the flexibility can be a problem sometimes, I used to stack eq's and effects trying to make my tone better, when the key was in getting what is there right. Learning how the amps eq changes the response, etc, and getting it as close as physically possible with just a boost and amp before adding in any extras.

guitarfreak1387

squirrel chaser
Reaction score
Is that true if you're using effects only? When I first set it up I was flicking between the settings and I didn't notice too much of a difference between Studio/Direct and the Combo and Stack fronts. I just stuck with Studio/Direct, because I read the general consensus online was that if you were using effects only then studio/direct is best. It sounds fine so far apart from as you pointed out, the delays and reverbs sound muddy when there's a fair amount of gain present.

never really messed with it for an effects only setup, always have used the amp/cab sims as well. I'm not positive but the output mode could just be effecting the amp/cab and not the effects themselves.

next time that I mess with it ill see what i can find out.

Stijnson

Reaction score
I did a little tone demo with my newly acquired pod hd500, just thought id put it in here. Its just a test of how the patches I've made sound in a mix.
My recording, mixing and mastering skills are almost non existent, so apologies for that. So the tones are obviously recorded direct, without post-eq etc. Until I got the POD i never really recorded. Anyway, comments and thoughts on it would be great!
https://soundcloud.com/stijnson/tone-demo-pod-hd

JEngelking

Gravity is Shifting!
Reaction score
I did a little tone demo with my newly acquired pod hd500, just thought id put it in here. Its just a test of how the patches I've made sound in a mix.
My recording, mixing and mastering skills are almost non existent, so apologies for that. So the tones are obviously recorded direct, without post-eq etc. Until I got the POD i never really recorded. Anyway, comments and thoughts on it would be great!
https://soundcloud.com/stijnson/tone-demo-pod-hd

I like the song a lot! Although I do feel like the distorted tone could have more fullness to it.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
something for everyone to try,

use either the f-ball pre or treadplate pre with the ignite amos tube power amo i had mentioned before along with some external ir's. set the tpa to el34 and sag to 0. its a way meatier tone than the pods power amp simulation.

ill post some samples/comparisons at some point

Matthew

Reaction score

I use the HD Pro and my clean tone is just the Blackface Double Vibrato with an analog delay in front and a plate reverb after. Now, I've yet to find/make a distortion patch that I like enough, but the Tesseract patch on the Line 6 site comes closest.

I think I need to spend more time with the unit.

HaloHat

Baritones
Reaction score
Seattle WA. & Richfield, UT. & Valencia, Spain
Anyone know if we will see another update and/or new models anytime soon? Unless ive missed something, its been awhile!

YES - New POD HD PRO X is coming VERY SOON [mid October I was told]. I had been looking at the HD Pro for a while as I am going to wait for the next version of the Axe FX before I take that $plunge$.

So I buy the HD PRO about a month ago and have it sitting on the bench as I have been busy selling my house [done whoo hoo] and moving [sux!]. So i was browsing Sweetwater a few days ago and see they lowered the price on the HD PRO to $499 from $699 I just paid at American Musical. Yikes! I called American Musical and like always they did what they say they will do [price match if a better deal found in 45 days after purchase] and gave me the $200 difference back. Then Friday night I look at the Sweetwater site again and they have discontinued selling the POD HD PRO! Hmmm, something is going on I think as the Pod HD Pro is pretty new in the Pod series right. So I go looking around and find a post on another forum where the Line 6 Pod HD500X owners manual refereces a "Pod HD PRO X" according to the Line 6 forum person posting. I also got conformation elsewhere [October 2013 release.] Oh, and I just got an email invoice for $699 from American Musical for my new Pod Pro HD X so...

bcolville

Reaction score
Do you guys have any tips for an 8 string recording tone? Kind of like After the Burial rhythm stuff. When I make a patch for my 8 string with dactivators it sounds really good through my monitors but when I record it, it sounds like garbage. I've experienced this with my 7 string as well, but not to this extent. I can't seem to get a decent 8 string recording tone.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Do you guys have any tips for an 8 string recording tone? Kind of like After the Burial rhythm stuff. When I make a patch for my 8 string with dactivators it sounds really good through my monitors but when I record it, it sounds like garbage. I've experienced this with my 7 string as well, but not to this extent. I can't seem to get a decent 8 string recording tone.

Aren't you listening to the recording through the monitors?

Check in your control panel where the line6 audio-midi devices panel is and make sure the +18v box isn't checked. You could just be getting digital clipping.

Or, you could use the method I described earlier and use the ignite amps tube power amp vst and the pre only on your pod. You'll thank me after you try it.

When I get some time I'll post some samples for you guys to drool over.

breadtruck

Reaction score
Where do you guys stand on Noise Gate vs Hard Gate? I have to admit I've barely touched the Hard Gate in the time I've had the POD HD; I usually just slapped a Noise Gate onto my patches and that seemed to do the job. However, recently I've been playing live with the POD HD through a tube amp and I have to have the noise gates' threshold set to around 42% in order to stop any unnecessary squealing when I mute the strings. Is the hard gate better equiped to deal with issues like that? And does it suck tone as much as the noise gate does?

I'd try this stuff out myself but I won't be able to test it in a band environment until next week. If I turn my amp up to band levels at home then I'm going to get some angry people knocking on my door.

Kristianx510

Reaction score
YES - New POD HD PRO X is coming VERY SOON [mid October I was told]. I had been looking at the HD Pro for a while as I am going to wait for the next version of the Axe FX before I take that $plunge$.

So I buy the HD PRO about a month ago and have it sitting on the bench as I have been busy selling my house [done whoo hoo] and moving [sux!]. So i was browsing Sweetwater a few days ago and see they lowered the price on the HD PRO to $499 from $699 I just paid at American Musical. Yikes! I called American Musical and like always they did what they say they will do [price match if a better deal found in 45 days after purchase] and gave me the $200 difference back. Then Friday night I look at the Sweetwater site again and they have discontinued selling the POD HD PRO! Hmmm, something is going on I think as the Pod HD Pro is pretty new in the Pod series right. So I go looking around and find a post on another forum where the Line 6 Pod HD500X owners manual refereces a "Pod HD PRO X" according to the Line 6 forum person posting. I also got conformation elsewhere [October 2013 release.] Oh, and I just got an email invoice for $699 from American Musical for my new Pod Pro HD X so...

I'm really hoping all the POD HD's continue to receive updates. If they actually start updating their products and it only works with the X series I'm buying an Axe FX just to spite Line 6's shitty business ethics.

RobPhoboS

Reaction score
Where do you guys stand on Noise Gate vs Hard Gate? I have to admit I've barely touched the Hard Gate in the time I've had the POD HD; I usually just slapped a Noise Gate onto my patches and that seemed to do the job. However, recently I've been playing live with the POD HD through a tube amp and I have to have the noise gates' threshold set to around 42% in order to stop any unnecessary squealing when I mute the strings. Is the hard gate better equiped to deal with issues like that? And does it suck tone as much as the noise gate does?

I'd try this stuff out myself but I won't be able to test it in a band environment until next week. If I turn my amp up to band levels at home then I'm going to get some angry people knocking on my door.

+1 on that as well.
I was considering just buying a decimator to sling after the guitar or other dist pedal before the pod.

LolloBlaskhyrt

HD Pro abuser
Reaction score

If you set Hold and Decay on the Hard Gate to 0 and obviously set the Threshold properly, you would get a very tight tone.

Reaction score
I'm really hoping all the POD HD's continue to receive updates. If they actually start updating their products and it only works with the X series I'm buying an Axe FX just to spite Line 6's shitty business ethics.

They'll all still receive the updates. The HDX series only gets an improved DSP chip for more processing power and only meaning you can put more effects in your chain. The software is still the same. Current Pro owners would only want to upgrade if they continually hit the DSP limit. I haven't since I don't have a need to fill all the spaces with effects in the signal chain so I don't mind that there's an updated model.