JEngelking

Gravity is Shifting!
Reaction score

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TrashJuice

Reaction score
HD500 w/ my new Ibanez TAM10 8 string. The clean guitars were recorded DI and I used Logic's Space Designer for some reverb. The distortion is my HD500 using Ola Englund's "Handjob" patch.

Enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/jm2484/ibanez-tam10

Did you use the POD's cabs or your own IR? I don't remember off the top off my head if Ola's patch is pre-only or not.

areyna21

Reaction score
So if you wanted to connect the Line 6 HD 500 to the Rivera knucklehead ii with midi. That way that you can change the tones on the pod as well as the channels on your amp. Do you just need to connect a midi cable or do you need to run the four cable method as well. As I understand it the 4 cable method will allow you to choose where to place your effect blocks and the midi cable will allow you to do the channel switching?

thedonal

Reaction score
The 4 cable method will give you the most flexibility.

That way you can choose what you want to put before and after the pre-amp section (ie in the FX loop of the amp).

If you are using the pre-amp section for the most of your gain (and running high- gain sounds), you'll be better off putting mod fx and delays into the amps loop (ie after the pre-amp section).

If you want a more vintage sound (getting your drive from the POD pedal emulations, rather than the amp), you might want to stack everything before the pre-amp section, which means the 4 cable method won't be as necessary.

ScurrilousNerd

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I'm interested in getting a Pod HD 100%, and was planning on getting the desktop model but Long & Mcquade has the HD400 on sale for $300.

Would anybody recommend NOT getting the HD400 and going for the desktop instead? I'm mainly going to be using it for recording and therefore the amp modelling.

Thanks in advance!

Luppin

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I'm interested in getting a Pod HD 100%, and was planning on getting the desktop model but Long & Mcquade has the HD400 on sale for $300.

Would anybody recommend NOT getting the HD400 and going for the desktop instead? I'm mainly going to be using it for recording and therefore the amp modelling.

Thanks in advance!

The HD400 is severely limited in the flexibility with which you can arrange your chain. What I would do would be to go to the used section of guitar centers website and find yourself an HD500, they're going for around $300 (Got mine for $280 a few months back) with the HD500X being out now. If not, the HD500, HD Pro, and HD Desktop have literally the same internals so if the form factor isn't important for you you should go for any of those. The HD300 and HD400 have all of the same pedal/amp models but limit how you can arrange them.

ScurrilousNerd

Reaction score
The HD400 is severely limited in the flexibility with which you can arrange your chain. What I would do would be to go to the used section of guitar centers website and find yourself an HD500, they're going for around $300 (Got mine for $280 a few months back) with the HD500X being out now. If not, the HD500, HD Pro, and HD Desktop have literally the same internals so if the form factor isn't important for you you should go for any of those. The HD300 and HD400 have all of the same pedal/amp models but limit how you can arrange them.

Thanks for the quick response man, but unfortunately buying online isn't really an option...

Would the limitations you mention prevent me from achieving a good modern metal tone, most likely with minimum effects? As well as possibly using it live

Alice AKW

Wolf Ninja
Reaction score
Tweaked some of my tones a bit, figured I'd try and update the mix for a little clip I posted earlier, it starts with just guitars, then adds bass, and finally drums. Critique is welcome!

[sc]https://soundcloud.com/kane-wolf/smile-breaking-down-the-mix[/sc]

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response man, but unfortunately buying online isn't really an option...

Would the limitations you mention prevent me from achieving a good modern metal tone, most likely with minimum effects? As well as possibly using it live

Seriously, get the HD desktop or the HD500. 300 and 400 are severely limited as said above. Main things you CAN'T do with the HD400 are dual amps, S/PDIF output among many things. If you can get an HD desktop, great. If you can get an HD500, even better.

that short guy

Reaction score
Finally got a tone I like for my DC800. let me know what you think.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/i_get_bored/carvin-dc800-with-bkp-1[/SC]

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
Finally got a tone I like for my DC800. let me know what you think.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/i_get_bored/carvin-dc800-with-bkp-1[/SC]

The guitar tone sounds just fine, it's that snare I'd be more worried about. sounds very phasy D:

that short guy

Reaction score
The guitar tone sounds just fine, it's that snare I'd be more worried about. sounds very phasy D:

oh believe me the snare tone in that isn't up to par. I just didn't spend long on the drums with the clip because it was supposed to be all about the guitar. but yeah drums need some work

Paolosev91

Reaction score
4CM Low-Latency Low-Noise solution:

I found out that the pod's fx loop send introduces more noise and more latency compared to the normal line out of the pod.
I found out a way to reduce both noise and latency introduced by the pod's fx loop when using 4CM, if you don't care about hitting your amp's fx loop with a stereo signal.

The basic idea is: pre-amp signal on LEFT channel (with wah, compression, distortion effects)/ post-amp signal (with reverb, delay effects) on RIGHT channel.
Now:
1) Set input 1: Guitar, input 2: Variax (using same, this method doesn't work at all, we need discrete signals)
2) Don't put any effect in pre-path.
3) Put every pre-effect (wah,comp,dist..) on PATH A (upper), and pan the mixer full to the left.
4) Put an FX loop block (TURNED OFF! It works, and doesn't add noise and latency as when it's turned on!) and after it, every post/loop-effect (delay, reverb..) on PATH B (lower), and pane the mixer full to the right.
(If you turn on your FX loop block, you will hear more latency! But now you don't need it. That's why this solution is better than the standard 4CM routing)
5) Cable routing:
- Guitar cable in pod's guitar in input
- Run a cable from pod's Left line output to your amp's guitar input.
- Another cable from your amp's fx loop Send to your pod's fx loop Return.
- Last cable from the pod's Right line output to your amp's fx loop Return.
6) To have overall unity gain and less noise possible I use:
- Pod's master volume to 80-85% so my guitar sounds like it's directly plugged into my amp
- Guitar In switch set to normal
- 1/4" Out switch set to amp
- Fx loop switch set to stomp
- Mixer settings +6db for my pre/left signal and 0db for my post/right signal.

This is the same as the "normal" 4CM method, but splitted in 2 separate signals (Up=before preamp, Down= after preamp) and gives you the best SNR and the shortest latency you can get out of the pod.

The same patch can be used, disconnecting both send and return cables from the amp's fx loop, to have the best signal from the pod in front of the amp.
To use pod's pre and full amp models with the configuration shown before, just set up a patch with input1: guitar, input2: same and an amp block in pre-path position, then pan one of the amp's paths to the right and adjust mixer gain as desired.

Alice AKW

Wolf Ninja
Reaction score

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
Really neat track man!

Though it kinda reminds me of something I thought of a while back... does anyone else think the POD does leads a lot better than rhythms?

I have to agree. The pod turns out some great leads. I still have it being used on my tracks sometimes even though I have a kemper!

vent187

Reaction score
I was just messing around with a 7 string my friend is trying to sell. Was supposed to make a simple generic demo track to show the kind of tones it can achieve. But I think I got a little carried away aand this happened.:scream:

It's just for the lulz though. Guitar and bass tones and are HD500.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/sameersuri187/skeletor[/SC]