RedSkull

riffs master
Reaction score
Still using the POD HD for death metal. I just poured and recorded this groovy death song. Even if you're not a big fan of the genre I suggest you take a listen at about 2:00. Best riff I've recorded in while IMO

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
The 11r patch could be a lot better too. The 11r has had more punch and bite and has been more direct and in your face every time i've recorded with it. It's more full and the line 6 always sounds like it has a blanket over it in comparison. I have heard it sound great but I can always tell when i'm listening to Pod clips. I mean most of the time. A lot of the comments that others left on the comparison clips were similar about the pod clips....people would say stuff like it sounds like a pod or something like that.

I know that pod owners of course will defend it with their life and I defended it hard as well. Hell i'm even one of the group administrators for the podhd group on facebook, but the first time I strummed a chord after plugging in the 11r I felt and heard the difference. It was inspiring to play. Now after rerecording tracks for my album that i'm working on and hearing the difference I am just blown away by the difference in sound quality. But the pod can sound good and all.

It doesn't really matter in the long run. It's all about having fun. I'm definitely not trying to argue with you or anything :metal: Just fought and fought with the pod and loved the 11r the moment I plugged in and still do and I would just like to share in the experience i've had in case others would like to give it a try as well.....and for the same price lol

The reason for this is that Line 6 sucks at cab impulses. They just don't get it at all. I notice a huge difference between pod hd and 11r if i just use impulses instead. I really love the sound from my pod. It's just a shame the impulses are CRAP.

ZeroS1gnol

Reaction score
The 11r patch could be a lot better too. The 11r has had more punch and bite and has been more direct and in your face every time i've recorded with it. It's more full and the line 6 always sounds like it has a blanket over it in comparison. I have heard it sound great but I can always tell when i'm listening to Pod clips. I mean most of the time. A lot of the comments that others left on the comparison clips were similar about the pod clips....people would say stuff like it sounds like a pod or something like that.

I know that pod owners of course will defend it with their life and I defended it hard as well. Hell i'm even one of the group administrators for the podhd group on facebook, but the first time I strummed a chord after plugging in the 11r I felt and heard the difference. It was inspiring to play. Now after rerecording tracks for my album that i'm working on and hearing the difference I am just blown away by the difference in sound quality. But the pod can sound good and all.

It doesn't really matter in the long run. It's all about having fun. I'm definitely not trying to argue with you or anything :metal: Just fought and fought with the pod and loved the 11r the moment I plugged in and still do and I would just like to share in the experience i've had in case others would like to give it a try as well.....and for the same price lol

No need to argue indeed, but I think we just need to establish the fact the POD HD(X) and each generation before it doesn't sound great 'fresh out of the box' and leave it at that.

However, using it as a pre amp for a power amp, it doesn't take a lot to get an awesome tone.

Stijnson

Reaction score
I'll agree with MF_kitten, line 6's selection of IR's is just pretty terrible. They really let themselves down there. I tried to find similar IRs in my huge library and the ones that sounded most similar to the POD ones, are the ones I would never ever use.

The IR to me defines maybe half, if not more, of the tone. Considering that many people use the POD to record, it is pretty easy to use a patch with an external IR. This way you'll get very good tones, especially if you also know how to dial out some of the fizzy spots with the POD eq. But even choosing the right IR can eliminate the fizz.
I've recently been using some of the free Ownhammer Bogner IR's, which are instantly awesome. I would love to hear the axe fx or 11r run through the POD's IR's, I doubt that will give good results!

So maybe the 11r has less fizz, but to me that just means it might take longer to achieve a similar tone with the POD because you have to dial out the fizz. Once its gone however, its a fair battle. The comparison clips IdentityDevice posted are not the best example of the POD's capabilities.

PlumbTheDerps

Reaction score
Still using the POD HD for death metal. I just poured and recorded this groovy death song. Even if you're not a big fan of the genre I suggest you take a listen at about 2:00. Best riff I've recorded in while IMO

Does this mix have bass? The guitars sound great but are super loud.

AngstRiddenDreams

Filthy Casual
Reaction score
There are couple combinations of cabs on the Pod that actually sound decent. I really like the Uber+121Rbn and XXL+ 57on axis together.

jmeezle

Reaction score
[SC]http://soundcloud.com/jm2484/tam10-alternate-tuning-clip[/SC]

I've always been a fan of alternate tunings so I tried a few things with my 8 in this clip. I ended up tuning my G string to A which gave me EBEADABE and allowed me to create this dissonant/shrill chord that you hear in the first riff. I used my HD500 for this as well. Enjoy! :metal:

lewis

Reaction score
[SC]http://soundcloud.com/jm2484/tam10-alternate-tuning-clip[/SC]

I've always been a fan of alternate tunings so I tried a few things with my 8 in this clip. I ended up tuning my G string to A which gave me EBEADABE and allowed me to create this dissonant/shrill chord that you hear in the first riff. I used my HD500 for this as well. Enjoy! :metal:

Patch!!!!?!...

Kristianx510

Reaction score
Asking this for a friend so sorry if this is a dumb question. But how do you connect an HD500X to an interface through SPDIF? He is connecting the out of the HD to the in of his Scarlett 18i20, but getting no sound.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Asking this for a friend so sorry if this is a dumb question. But how do you connect an HD500X to an interface through SPDIF? He is connecting the out of the HD to the in of his Scarlett 18i20, but getting no sound.

Is the spdif set up in the daw as well as Scarlett Mix Control? I have the same interface.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
UPDATE:

my thought on Path B being processed before Path A may be partially wrong.
Switching between my 2 patches I felt I had more delay when I had pre-effects in Path A and post in Path B and less delay when viceversa.
So I thought that the pod processes Path B before Path A!

Now I decided to try a different configuration (even less latency!!!!!!!).
Instead of using the fx loop return of the pod, I am using its Aux in.
Seems strange, but except from a 4db loss (easily corrected adding +4db at the pod mixer), it has more or less the same noise level, but less latency!
Then I built my 2 patches, 1) input1:guitar input2:aux with pre-effects in Path A and post in Path B, 2) vice-versa.
And also now the tuner works without chaing patch! ;-)

What did I discover? I have even less latency then when using pod's fx loop return, and solution 1) gives me even less latency then solution 2)

Try it, you may be surprised of how responsive will be your pod in 4cm mode now!

My thought (I am not 100% sure about that, just wondering...) is that the pod was programmed by line6 to process the signals I am using in this sequence:
Path A -> Path B -> Fx loop return signal. (seems like line6 programmed the pod giving less priority to the fx loop signal)

If true, this may confirm why when I am using fx loop return on Path A I have less latency than using it in Path B!
The pod did Path A -> Path B -> Fx loop return -> Path A (4 processing "steps") ,
instead of Path A-> Path B -> Fx loop -> Path A -> Path B (5 "steps").

And it may also confirm why I am getting less latency using no Fx loop, and even less when using pre-effects on Path A.
pre-effects in B, post in A: pod does Path B->Path A-> Path B (3 "steps")
pre-effects in A, post in B: pod does Path A->Path B (2 "steps"!!!).

My thoughts on WHY this happens may be wrong, but however, the latency reduction is really noticeable, please try it!:

Summary:
Guitar -> pod Guitar in -> no pre-effects on pre-path -> path A with pre effects panned left -> pod left output -> amp front -> amp fx send -> pod aux in -> path B with post effects panned right -> right output -> amp return (mixer volumes both at 4db, pod's master at full, output switch on Line.)

Having trouble selling my pod, so I tried this today. The only thing I set different was the line out switch is set to amp. Line gave me too hot of a signal. Works amazingly well though. With a boost at 1400hz on the front end it's almost identical to the attack switch on a dead horse overdrive.

Reaction score
Because I'm asking for someone else I really don't know. Can you tell me everything you have to do to make it work?

There must be a mix panel in the Scarlett where you can set up the S/PDIF settings. Make the clock be the POD, and set it up to 96 Khz (In the POD). I don't know what is the problem, but I would get a horrible noise whenever I changed the sample rate to other than 96 Khz.

EDIT: The noise I get it with a M-Audio 2496 interface. Anyways, I record at 96 Khz generally and it works great. When I want to record in lower sample rates, I connect the POD via USB.

Lord Voldemort

Reaction score
I got my live rig set up with the POD HD PRO yesterday.

IMG_20140501_200102.jpg

I only got a half an hour to play around with it, but the clarity difference between a power amp and an amp head is way different.

lewis

Reaction score
I got my live rig set up with the POD HD PRO yesterday.

IMG_20140501_200102.jpg

I only got a half an hour to play around with it, but the clarity difference between a power amp and an amp head is way different.

For the better?. Hoping so. This is the route im wanting to take myself

Lord Voldemort

Reaction score
For the better?. Hoping so. This is the route im wanting to take myself

You know, it's hard to say. It's different. I really liked my setup with my tube head as a power amplifier, and I really spent a lot of time tweaking it to perfection.

It's certainly a clearer tone, but the POD is a very fizzy unit and that comes out more. However, it doesn't sound digital at all, surprisingly. Just like a particularly fizzy tube amp.

I'm still using cabinet simulation after trying just the head. Without cabinet simulation it's just obnoxiously fizzy, putting on a cab really helps.

As of now I'm going with a double amp setup, an F-ball with it's default cabinet and a 75prt with I think it was the XXL or something....

It sounds decent, but yeah, it needs work. I'll get back to you when I mess more with it.