This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alice AKW

Wolf Ninja
Reaction score
That sounds awesome! :bowdown: Any tips on how to dial in tones like that? I like how I've got my rhythm sounds over time, but I still need a little some extra to get them where they should be.

I'm thinking about doing a video synopsis of how I dial in my tones and how I came to find what I like. My trick is I don't use Post EQ, have the bias on the amp all the way down, and I toy with the resonance cab DEP a lot.

Lord Voldemort

Reaction score
Man, I worked for another hour or so on my tone with the power amp, and still am not at all satisfied. I set the i/o to power amp stack, took away the cabs and used an Angel F-Ball with and without a Screamer, noisegates and some pre and post EQ, then tried a Treadplate/F-Ball combo, Treadplate alone...

I think what may be happening is that I can't seem to turn off Mic simulation, even with cab simulation off. I dunno.

It's unfortunate because my other guitarist has an Axe fx ultra with the same poweramp, and that sounds fantastic comparatively.

I brought my 4x12 home, I'm going to mess around with it extensively. I'm sure I'm just doing something incorrect.

Reaction score
Man, I worked for another hour or so on my tone with the power amp, and still am not at all satisfied. I set the i/o to power amp stack, took away the cabs and used an Angel F-Ball with and without a Screamer, noisegates and some pre and post EQ, then tried a Treadplate/F-Ball combo, Treadplate alone...

I think what may be happening is that I can't seem to turn off Mic simulation, even with cab simulation off. I dunno.

It's unfortunate because my other guitarist has an Axe fx ultra with the same poweramp, and that sounds fantastic comparatively.

I brought my 4x12 home, I'm going to mess around with it extensively. I'm sure I'm just doing something incorrect.

Yeah, disable mic/cab sim but add a mid-focus EQ after the amp to dial out the fizz. Lower the gain/output of the mid-focus EQ to around 7% or it'll blast your speakers.

Lord Voldemort

Reaction score
Yeah, disable mic/cab sim but add a mid-focus EQ after the amp to dial out the fizz. Lower the gain/output of the mid-focus EQ to around 7% or it'll blast your speakers.

Cheers, I'll try that, some other people recommended that as well...

I can't seem to figure out how to disable mic simulation though, everywhere I've read has said that once you disable cab simulation the mic simulation goes off automatically, but that's not happening...

Reaction score
Cheers, I'll try that, some other people recommended that as well...

I can't seem to figure out how to disable mic simulation though, everywhere I've read has said that once you disable cab simulation the mic simulation goes off automatically, but that's not happening...

Make sure "No Cab" is selected and Mic simulation should go off by default. You can select microphones and you can hear a small gap when you change them, but it doesn't affect the sound. Just make sure "No Cab" is selected.

Reaction score
Anyone wanna give me some tips on a Holdsworth-ian rhythm tone and lead tone?
I have a really nice clean jazz tone I've been working on for rhythm, as well as two wicked nice smooth versatile lead tones.

It's just not sounding right for this one sound I'm shooting for though. (I think it's because Holdsworth relies more on synths for rhythm and holding things down. And his leads just seems like a simple fusion lead tone with nice mids and less gain. But I think his inhuman clarity contributes something.)

Brody

Reaction score
Hey guys, just figured I would do a brief clip of my Pro Tone Deadhorse OD in front of my POD HD instead of using the on board Line 6 OD. It came out pretty sick! The drums are a bit loud I know, but the guitar tone turned out pretty fat for just one left and one right.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/thelivingdoorway/pro-tone-deadhorse-and-pod-hd[/SC]

Zulphur

Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing a video synopsis of how I dial in my tones and how I came to find what I like. My trick is I don't use Post EQ, have the bias on the amp all the way down, and I toy with the resonance cab DEP a lot.

A video would be great :metal:

ZeroS1gnol

Reaction score
Ask and ye shall recieve!

Thats a great explanation, thanks. It's funny how bare bones your approach is, generally one would take more EQs to get out that typical POD sound. I also expected there to be a comp in the chain. On the other hand, I would've never thought of turning most of the cab DEPs around zero.

Just out of curiosity, how does the tone that you created in the vid match up vs the one you used on that soundcloud clip you posted before? There is also a clear difference between what I hear in the beginning of the vid and the end.

A little piece of criticism: the vid is very low res, hard to see your exact actions.

Thefailsafe

Reaction score
Great vid Kane, always cool to see other peoples methods with a pod, I was having a bit of aggro getting decent tones out of the bean for a while, meambobbo's guide and vids like yours have been a lifesaver!

Alice AKW

Wolf Ninja
Reaction score
Thats a great explanation, thanks. It's funny how bare bones your approach is, generally one would take more EQs to get out that typical POD sound. I also expected there to be a comp in the chain. On the other hand, I would've never thought of turning most of the cab DEPs around zero.

Just out of curiosity, how does the tone that you created in the vid match up vs the one you used on that soundcloud clip you posted before? There is also a clear difference between what I hear in the beginning of the vid and the end.

A little piece of criticism: the vid is very low res, hard to see your exact actions.

Apologies for shite video, don't have the best desktop recording setup as I hardly ever do it.

As for the tone difference, it's similar, but has a bit more of a fullness and it's a bit less boxy. The tone at the start of the vid is the one that I've dialed in for my personal rhythm sound, while the tone I dial in in the video is kinda on the spot.

Stijnson

Reaction score
Nice video man, tone sounds very good for such a simple setup. Compared to my 4 post EQ's! What guitar and pickups are you using btw?

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
Your approach is indeed interesting. I think it nails the spirit of the first Periphery album, which gives more heaviness to the bass and low mids of the guitars instead of the bass, and less saturation in the top end.

As for the tweaks themselves, they seem to work well with the xxl, but i don't know about other cabs or dual amp configurations.

Lowering the master was interesting. Do you also have the pad switch engaged?

Alice AKW

Wolf Ninja
Reaction score
Your approach is indeed interesting. I think it nails the spirit of the first Periphery album, which gives more heaviness to the bass and low mids of the guitars instead of the bass, and less saturation in the top end.

As for the tweaks themselves, they seem to work well with the xxl, but i don't know about other cabs or dual amp configurations.

Lowering the master was interesting. Do you also have the pad switch engaged?

Yes I do! I forgot to mention that in the video. I keep the pad switch on for some added headroom.

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
Yes I do! I forgot to mention that in the video. I keep the pad switch on for some added headroom.

Alright fvck you hd500 users I always have to use a studio EQ with my desktop HD dipped to -18 db to emulate the pad and it doesn't seem to be close :lol:

Honestly even if you put it in the begginning of the chain, it seems to remove more bite and presence compared to the -20dB of the pad switch, but not sure if it's in a good way

Alice AKW

Wolf Ninja
Reaction score
Alright fvck you hd500 users I always have to use a studio EQ with my desktop HD dipped to -18 db to emulate the pad and it doesn't seem to be close :lol:

Honestly even if you put it in the begginning of the chain, it seems to remove more bite and presence compared to the -20dB of the pad switch, but not sure if it's in a good way

Hey, dial in that presence back with a pre eq! :lol:

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
Kane_Wolf: Awesome video. Thanks for that. More resolution on the next one, though. Please. I've seen clearer footage of Bigfoot.