RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
You know, it's hard to say. It's different. I really liked my setup with my tube head as a power amplifier, and I really spent a lot of time tweaking it to perfection.

It's certainly a clearer tone, but the POD is a very fizzy unit and that comes out more. However, it doesn't sound digital at all, surprisingly. Just like a particularly fizzy tube amp.

I'm still using cabinet simulation after trying just the head. Without cabinet simulation it's just obnoxiously fizzy, putting on a cab really helps.

As of now I'm going with a double amp setup, an F-ball with it's default cabinet and a 75prt with I think it was the XXL or something....

It sounds decent, but yeah, it needs work. I'll get back to you when I mess more with it.

You could use the mid focus eq to cut the top end out. If it sounds better with cab emulation running through a cab, then excessive highs seems like the problem. Try the hi frequency at around 70? Percent or so. If its too flat, then raise it a bit until its crisp again.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lord Voldemort

Reaction score
You could use the mid focus eq to cut the top end out. If it sounds better with cab emulation running through a cab, then excessive highs seems like the problem. Try the hi frequency at around 70? Percent or so. If its too flat, then raise it a bit until its crisp again.

Thanks, I'll try that.

Again, I only had half an hour or so to tweak with it. My whole band showed up and immediately started playing right after I got it to work, haha. I'm confident I can get something awesome out of it.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll try that.

Again, I only had half an hour or so to tweak with it. My whole band showed up and immediately started playing right after I got it to work, haha. I'm confident I can get something awesome out of it.

Also make sure that your output mode is set properly.

ZeroS1gnol

Reaction score
If it sounds better with cab emulation running through a cab, then excessive highs seems like the problem.

Better yet, don't run any cab sim at all, ever when using a poweramp. You can get better tones by just dialing the pre amp with some EQs.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Maybe this will help someone else...I had the Pod HD Pro's line out set to "line" instead of "AMP" and it was overdriving my input stage of my power amp ever so slightly. I noticed it one day working on a clean tone. Set it to "AMP" and I think the dynamics are a bit more intact now, especially using the volume knob to clean up. Had to go edit all my patches for extra gain that i lost, especially the cleans. Overall everything sounds a bit less compressed :yesway: Granted, i had great tones beforehand, but still, a year later and i'm still discovering things to improve my tone on this box.

Reaction score
Maybe this will help someone else...I had the Pod HD Pro's line out set to "line" instead of "AMP" and it was overdriving my input stage of my power amp ever so slightly. I noticed it one day working on a clean tone. Set it to "AMP" and I think the dynamics are a bit more intact now, especially using the volume knob to clean up. Had to go edit all my patches for extra gain that i lost, especially the cleans. Overall everything sounds a bit less compressed :yesway: Granted, i had great tones beforehand, but still, a year later and i'm still discovering things to improve my tone on this box.

Well, don't take this the wrong way, but if you had read the advanced manual fully, you would have known the "AMP" setting is for the amp's input, that is to say, the POD sending a not pre-amped signal since the signal is entering the pre-amp stage of the amp. When you plug the POD to the Power amp section of an amp, amp head, you should set it into the "LINE" setting. Means the signal is pre-amped by the POD itself before entering the Poweramp stage. That's why it was overloading the input of your amp, since it was already pre-amped before entering the pre-amp stage of your amp.

Try reading the manual to know how to set up the POD exactly depending on the output you're going to use.

ZeroS1gnol

Reaction score
/\ I found out that I could simply not crank up my amp enough using the AMP setting, instead of line...so yeah..

MobiusR

Thall, that is all
Reaction score
I was curious about HD500 mods and other HD mods.

Came across this cool website, they have a "Build in Cabinet Simulator" which really bought my attention.

Thoughts?

Line 6 HD500

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
I was curious about HD500 mods and other HD mods.

Came across this cool website, they have a "Build in Cabinet Simulator" which really bought my attention.

Thoughts?

Line 6 HD500

The only use I could see is if you had a very dsp heavy live patch. For $75 I couldn't see it being any good though. Better off buying a Hughes & Kettner Red Box 5.

Alice AKW

Wolf Ninja
Reaction score
Hey guys, got some completely revamped guitar and bass tones. Opinions welcome!

[sc]https://soundcloud.com/kane-wolf/mix-test[/sc]

Trainwreck1446

Reaction score
I use the Fractal Axe FX II, and my other guitarist just picked up the Pod HD Pro X. It stacks up pretty well I must say with the Fractal, especially in a live mix. Really impressed

WiLD

Reaction score
Anyone notice a difference in tone when playing/listening and when listening to something recorded with the pod? I record with reaper via usb on the pod and my tone sounds great to me through my computer speakers that are plugged right into the pod but when I listen to something I recorded theres a huge difference in tone and way more fizz and sounds noisier overall. Wondering if I maybe have some settings wrong or if this is pretty normal :eek:

JEngelking

Gravity is Shifting!
Reaction score
Hey guys, got some completely revamped guitar and bass tones. Opinions welcome!

[sc]https://soundcloud.com/kane-wolf/mix-test[/sc]

That sounds awesome! :bowdown: Any tips on how to dial in tones like that? I like how I've got my rhythm sounds over time, but I still need a little some extra to get them where they should be.