MobiusR

Thall, that is all
Reaction score
I'm still messing with the EQ, but here is a sample of the Scale the Summit patch I've been messing with. I need to roll off some of the treble, which is immediately obvious.

And I am terribly absent minded so I forgot to put the sound file at the BEGINNING of the DAW, so you need to skip to about 8 seconds in to actually get sound. I just threw some random StS riffs in there and noodled at the end. It's a bit sloppy at some parts. :fawk:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/64810313/Scale the Tone.wav

This was recorded with my 28.6" 8 string with a D Activator in the neck position. When you're up higher on the neck, the key is to roll your tone knob down a little bit.

Here is the link to the patch:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/64810313/Scale the Tone.hre

can you make it work for a hd500? It didn't work for me after changing the file name :(

What did you use for a amp?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Butterscotch

Reaction score
can you make it work for a hd500? It didn't work for me after changing the file name :(

What did you use for a amp?

I have no idea how to do that. :scratch: But have no fear because I will do a write up of all the settings when I get off of work tonight unless someone else knows how to make it work. :yesway:

I used the Angel F-Ball sim

Shask

Reaction score
I have heard this before, but I am really starting to believe that there is something screwed up in the dual paths/mixer/input part of the HD. A lot of the common suggestions say to set input 2 to Variax, and then mute path B and pan path A to center and run everything before the mixer. I have spent some time today REALLY messing with this. I have done this before since I have had the HD500 for about 2 years now, but now I tend to listen with more critical ears since I have an Axe-FX.

I don't know what it is, but the tone is clearer and more dynamic. It is much closer to the neighborhood the Axe-FX lives in. You don't get that "blurred note" effect nearly as bad, especially in the low end. As soon as you put the mixer back to the stock settings it all sounds smeared again. It is really weird, and it is even worse when you use EQ's after the mixer and you start getting that weird overloading clipping sound. It seems like if they could fix whatever is going on they could really improve the stock sound that doesn't require all these weird settings. I still think it is an awesome unit, but I am not sure why there is so many weird things that go on inside it that have the potential to make the tone horrible.

Anyways, weird HD thought of the day after jamming on it for hours.... :lol: :shred:

Captain Butterscotch

Reaction score
Alright, here is the write up for the Scale the Summit tone I posted earlier that apparently hates all of you :lol::

Effects Chain
--------------------------Angel F-Ball>--------------
Hard Gate>Screamer> ---------------- >Chamber Reverb
--------------------------Angel F-Ball>--------------

Effects Settings
Hard Gate: Open=-50, Close=-65, Hold Time=0, Decay=851. Obviously, mess with this to whatever you want it to be.

Screamer: Bass=61%, Tone=73%, Treble=64%, Drive=40%, Output=Max

Chamber Reverb: Decay=50%, Pre=14 ms, Tone=70%, Mix=25%

Amp Settings

The sim I used for both of these is the Angel F-Ball. Both of the master volumes are set at 60% and all of the rest of the other parameters are still at their default settings. All of the following numbers are percents unless I say otherwise.

Amp 1: Drive=66, Bass=76, Mid=62, Treble=64, Pres=83, Ch Vol=71, ER=12.

This amp uses the 57 On Axis mic and the 4x12 Hiway Cab model

Amp 2: Drive=66, Bass=82, Mid=80, Treble=68, Pres=70, Ch Vol=68, ER=12.

This amp uses the 409 Dynamic and the 4x12 XXL V-30 cab model.

On the mixer, I have it at =-5.5 on both channels for some reason :scratch: and they are both panned to center.

Well, there you go. Sorry that the patch won't work. Tell me what you guys think when you dial it all in! I haven't added any EQ in there yet because I am still tweaking stuff.

Kristianx510

Reaction score
I am pretty confused about the mixer. when you center A and B everything sounds louder and more full. Is there any reason why someone wouldn't do that? Am I missing out on something?

Shask

Reaction score
I am pretty confused about the mixer. when you center A and B everything sounds louder and more full. Is there any reason why someone wouldn't do that? Am I missing out on something?

It appears to double the volume which at first you think sounds better until you put effects after the mixer (eq, delay, reverb, etc...) And you start getting that horrible boxy clipping type sound from something being overloaded.....

Alex6534

Reaction score
Starting to get some decent tones out of my pod hd500 for the live tones, quick question though. Do you's have separate patches for live and for recording?

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Starting to get some decent tones out of my pod hd500 for the live tones, quick question though. Do you's have separate patches for live and for recording?

I would, I find I have to use the XXL cab to get a realistic bass response live, but that can be utterly overwhelming when recording.

Paolosev91

Reaction score
the vintage mic preamp is fantastic to use in Direct/Studio output mode... the POD feels less "digital" when putting it after the amp cab and mic simulation

Reaction score

Yes. I keep all my "untweaked" patches for recording in one database on my laptop, then I have a copy of that database of preset back onto the POD and tweak during live soundchecks (all depends on the venue). When I'm done with the show for the night, I just re-import the original "untweaked" copies back onto the POD for recording again.

Also: Captain Butterscotch, I didn't change a thing on the tone and it sounds awesome and sooooo close to their actual tone! (I'm going to try with a different guitar tomorrow and see what happens. Might start playing with the settings a bit and maybe add a little post-EQ pedal in the chain.)

Captain Butterscotch

Reaction score
Also: Captain Butterscotch, I didn't change a thing on the tone and it sounds awesome and sooooo close to their actual tone! (I'm going to try with a different guitar tomorrow and see what happens. Might start playing with the settings a bit and maybe add a little post-EQ pedal in the chain.)

Awesome! I was wondering if anyone had tried it yet. Just in case other people want it, could you post the preset or send it to me so I can post it? I had a few EQ's in there because I was trying to find the fuzzy spots, but I just deleted them and gave everyone what I had because I thought, IMO, that it was pretty close already. Tell me what you get when you start EQing!:wavey:

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score

JStraitiff

Melodic Mamma Jamma
Reaction score
I picked up an HD500 and i really love it. But i also hate it. It works well and i know for a fact ill be able to milk out what i want from this but as i expected its been taking a lot of learning and playing to get some tones im happy with. Every patch i download sounds like complete garbage. They're all boomy and muddy as fuck. So ive been taking a few of them and tweaking them a bit to learn the system and settings.

I was mildly happy with a tone today so i decided to try recording with it. To add insult to injury i just got logic so i have no idea how to work that yet either. So first i tried just plugging in via USB into logic but it sounded like total garbage. I have no idea why that is because im not familiar with either of these yet.

I decided to take it back to basics and opened up garageband and tried plugging into another interface using the 1/4" out. I get no sound from the pod this way so i used the headphone jack just so i could play. This thing is going to take a lot of work to get everything where i want it. I dont think ill be recording anytime soon. Despite all these problems im very satisfied with the pod itself.

im going to read up on the manual for hookups and output modes etc and im going to watch some videos on using logic so hopefully tomorrow i can hit it with a little more success.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Have you read meambobbo's Tone Bible? Here it is if not MeAmBobbo PodHD Guide - Contents

I also didn't like ANY of the patches I downloaded so I just sat down and tweaked the settings until I got something awesome. It'll just be a bit and you'll get there.

I totally agree. The only patch I ever downloaded from the customtone site that was any good was an Ola patch. The rest seem to be done by kids who apparently have some kind of learning disability or can't hear fifty percent of the frequencies coming into their ears...

On a side note, i finally tried moving everything to path A and muting path B as well as moving my eq's before the mixer last night. Seems to have made a difference for the better. I don't get the flubby bass response that I had come to assume was just my small pa speaker. Good find on that one.

After 8 months or so of owning my hd500 I'm even more satisfied with it than before! With the new models I've pretty much forgotten about the lack of an actual 5150 model.

Purelojik

Reaction score
also remember based on people's guitar woods, pickups, playing style and ultimately-taste. all patches will be different. I think out of about 30 patches i've tried, i'lve only liked one.

Best two things to do. Read that Guide that meambobo made.
and watch chimp spanners tutorial