Shask

Reaction score
Hey y'all, my bean is clipping!
I just have a emg 808 equipped guitar plugged into the input, and a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter with a set of passive headphones plugged into the headphone port.

Any patch I try, even one that has nothing in it, if I hit the strings with some intensity, i'll get a lot of digital clipping. I tried every combination of input and output settings I can find, and tried dialing various volume knobs on the amp, mixer and the master volume knob on the face, and nothing helps.

I tried to record to see if it's just the headphone output clipping, but it shows up in the recording too.

Any ideas?

First check your input settings. I am not sure what settings the bean has, but the HD500 has several settings. Set input 2 to Variax. If you dont have Variax try a few settings because the default is same which doubles the input volume and clips things easily.

Second ditch the headphones. It could be the headphones clipping because the POD HD is very picky about headphones. It wants a certain impedance, and is known to act weird outside of that range. Besides, guitar through headphones suck, IMO. It always sounds horrible regardless of what unit you use.

Third I would start with a blank "new tone" patch. Slowly add things one at a time and see where the clipping starts.

Fourth on the mixer pan path A to center and path B to mute. The mixer does some weird things to the signal and it is best to avoid its weirdness. Only use both paths if you are using 2 amps.

I personally would never use an old firmware on any unit.... they update them for a reason....

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PodHdBean

Reaction score
it still does this but u can fix it with pre eq.
I have a question for HD users about note cancellation:

With a healthy amount of gain, if you hit the low E string then immediately hit the B or high E string, do they kinda cancel each other out?

It's the thing I don't like the most about the x3. Its not that bad, but enough to bother me.

Zehailiu

Reaction score
try to figure out when the problem arose, and then figure out if you changed anything around that time period

Could it be because I took it from the studio to the house and my house has bad wiring or something? I don't remember having that issue at the studio.

Zehailiu

Reaction score
I read the meambooboo guide and tried everything it mentioned in regards to input output and gain staging, and I looked up many other threads on the line6 supports forum with similar issues to mine.

The only progress I've made so far is when I turn down the treble knob on the amp, or the tone knob on my guitar, I can reduce the amount of clipping, in fact with the treble knob all the way off the clipping is gone, but in both cases the tone is unusable.

I also tried various ways of reducing the input level, such as turning down gain, master, input impedance, input sources, guitar volume and tone, bias levels, channel volume, you name it, all of these will have very little effect on the amount of clipping.

I can get the input level to be so low that even with the physical master volume knob cranked I can barely hear the sound, it would still be clippd to hell.

Please help,

Edit:
I tried setting the pod to tuner mode and my guitar volume to barely audible, still clippin...

But I did notice that it clips way easier on the lower bass strings and not as much on the treble strings.

At this point I'm almost 100% sure I'm not clipping the pod, I think it may be the EMGs preamp clipping.

Does anyone know if a 18v mod may alleviate this or if there is something else I can do? I have both pickups already fairly far from the strings.

Usernames sucks

Reaction score
Going direct with pid hd500 without sounding too metallic?
Hi guys, i have a pod hd500, and when i practice i go straight into my roland micrucube and use the "treadplate" (mesa boogie rectifier) for all of my distortion presets. Im satisfied whith how it sounds. The problem is that, when i unplugg the roland cube, plug my pod hd500 into my pc with usb, switch on studio/direct mode, and load a mesa rectifier, no matter how i set the settings, it just soundss super metallic, even more metalic than the "djent" sound. Im in standard tuning, and heres an example of wat music i record: SoundCloud Mobile
Can anyone help me? I usally like that periphery guitar sound, and my usual tone is very midrange based, with mids almost on full (i do NOT want a scooped sound). The problem is just that it gets exremely metallic, something that its not when plugged into the roland cube (my pickups are dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire)
Here is a better soundclip: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7t50y8m0gyfoxyb/Riff ide metalic tone.mp3
Pod hd500 starts at 0:30, before that, its the roland cube. I know my playing is super sloppy, but i had just waken up.

Shask

Reaction score
At this point I'm almost 100% sure I'm not clipping the pod, I think it may be the EMGs preamp clipping.

Does anyone know if a 18v mod may alleviate this or if there is something else I can do? I have both pickups already fairly far from the strings.
Try a different guitar and see what happens....

Atomic_gerbil

Reaction score
Just got my HD500 a couple of days ago - playing through a ARZ307 with a SH-7B in the bridge - I really, really like it. It takes a while to really dial in a tone, but it's amazing how far you can stretch the DSP limitations, on one of my favorite tones, I have well over $10,000 worth of gear, from a treadplate with about 2 parametric EQ's, tube screamers, and noise gates.. and it sounds so good. Might contemplate selling the 5150.

PirateMetalTroy

The Tooth Fairy
Reaction score
If that doesn't convince Line 6 to include importing external IR's, nothing will :bowdown:

That's sick!!

If you gents like the tunes, then please take a minute of your time to share it with your friends. I would really appreciate any exposure that I can get, and any "sales" (read: donations) go straight into recording the next tune which is due beginning of march.