This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kristianx510

Reaction score
What are you playing through? If your only using a 100watt pa or something then no, they won't be able to hear you.

If you running through a large pa, make sure everything in your signal chain is before the mixer and you can turn the volume up on it.

Also, the 1/4" outs are louder than the xlr.

Oh, and make sure both paths are panned to center on your pods mixer.

If your running into an actual power amp, make sure your set to Line and not Amp.

If you actually said what you were using, it would have saved me a lot of typing ;)

I'm running into the FX return of a 6505. I always set it to amp, seeing as it's going into a power amp..but I guess that's the wrong way to think about it? Thank you for the tip!

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
I'm running into the FX return of a 6505. I always set it to amp, seeing as it's going into a power amp..but I guess that's the wrong way to think about it? Thank you for the tip!

amp is only for going into the front end. line is for going to basically any other source. the preamp of an amp head needs a lower level signal, hence the amp setting. i guarantee thats your problem. youll notice a HUGE increase in volume on the line setting.

Chuck

Reaction score
All right so I want to make a Fusiony lead tone that when I turn down the volume knob I can get a nice clean tone, any suggestions on amps? And how to set it up?

Kristianx510

Reaction score
amp is only for going into the front end. line is for going to basically any other source. the preamp of an amp head needs a lower level signal, hence the amp setting. i guarantee thats your problem. youll notice a HUGE increase in volume on the line setting.

Thank you so much for this!

tripguitar

Settler of Catan
Reaction score
hey guys, finally got around to doing something with my HD500 after owning it for like 2 months.

excuse my poor playing and abrupt transitions, this was all done in about 2 hours. no extra processing on the guitar tracks, all HD500.

also the mix isnt perfect either haha

http://db.tt/TR73lc7G

morethan6

Reaction score
All right so I want to make a Fusiony lead tone that when I turn down the volume knob I can get a nice clean tone, any suggestions on amps? And how to set it up?

I personally love the Park 75 model with a tube screamer style distortion and compressor in front of it. It's really dynamic, feels like playing through a souped up Plexi. Add a stereo delay....mmmm

PodHdBean

Reaction score
25131d1347904656-its-borat_nice-1.jpg
Here are a couple of new ones this is more fusion improv type stuff. There is some metal at the end of "burgundy". Thanks for listening this thread has really come a long way.

https://soundcloud.com/surfthealien/cosmic

https://soundcloud.com/surfthealien/burgundy

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
So I just got a pod hd pro. I have a gig friday and jm frantically tryjng to get it ready to go. So far ive got it at least as good as my old xt. Actually im having trouble with getting cleans as good. But it took me months to get the xt that good, so I imagine in a while the pro will sound killer.

Gonna ditch the amp and go all pod for this gig....wish me luck. Using a velocity 100 and splawn cab. Anyone running direct to pa while using power stack mode? I dont want to do studio mode through the guitar cab.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
So I just got a pod hd pro. I have a gig friday and jm frantically tryjng to get it ready to go. So far ive got it at least as good as my old xt. Actually im having trouble with getting cleans as good. But it took me months to get the xt that good, so I imagine in a while the pro will sound killer.

Gonna ditch the amp and go all pod for this gig....wish me luck. Using a velocity 100 and splawn cab. Anyone running direct to pa while using power stack mode? I dont want to do studio mode through the guitar cab.

Studio/direct is for just that. You can separate the two signal paths and make one with no cab simulation to go to your power amp.

Also, download bobbo's periphery clean patch. It will give you a good starting point. You could also download my peripheRick or diezel patch and turn off cab simulation in path B. or you could move around things in my satan hd patch and do the same.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
^^^Ah so use amp a to pa and amp b with no cab to power amp?? That makes sense. Where do I get these patches? Thanks for the help!!

Yeah I just had an amazing clean going on my pod xt pro. Took me months of trial and error. Ill post it when I get home

Edit: ok i see your link thanks again.

JEngelking

Gravity is Shifting!
Reaction score
Awesome man! If you haven't really messed around with one before you're gonna be really impressed with all it can do. 4-5 hours can easily fly by just from messing around with it.

Oh I'm counting on it. I've been lusting after it for so long and as such have watched a ridiculous amount of videos on it, looks like it's gonna be a really worthwhile acquisition. :D

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
So im all set for gig tomorrow thanks ricky for the tips- 35 song set from different bands all prepped!. Got one path to pa and one to my cab in each preset, mixing a bit of pa path wiith cabs on into my stereo cab to give it some girth on stage. The fact that this pod came in the mail yesterday and is ready to go for both my cab and PA is a tesament to its intuitiveness and tone! But yeah the stock presets are mostly crap. Ill report back after the gig but i think it will go well.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
So im all set for gig tomorrow thanks ricky for the tips- 35 song set from different bands all prepped!. Got one path to pa and one to my cab in each preset, mixing a bit of pa path wiith cabs on into my stereo cab to give it some girth on stage. The fact that this pod came in the mail yesterday and is ready to go for both my cab and PA is a tesament to its intuitiveness and tone! But yeah the stock presets are mostly crap. Ill report back after the gig but i think it will go well.

Anytime! And yes, the stock ones are total garbage.

Matt_D_

Reaction score
I've recently swapped to running the 4 cable method using a JVM410h.

So far so good, although it doesnt sound as "sweet" as direct to the amp on the OD1/OD2 channels, even when running just an FX loop as the only insert.

certainly interesting being able to use use the preamp in the JVM OD1, then kick the JVM back to clean and use the POD's premap.

now i just need to hook everything up to midi controllable so that the amp patch changes and the pod patch changes happen at the same time, and the get my shitty old FCB1010 setup as the controller for everything :)

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
I've recently swapped to running the 4 cable method using a JVM410h.

So far so good, although it doesnt sound as "sweet" as direct to the amp on the OD1/OD2 channels, even when running just an FX loop as the only insert.

certainly interesting being able to use use the preamp in the JVM OD1, then kick the JVM back to clean and use the POD's premap.

now i just need to hook everything up to midi controllable so that the amp patch changes and the pod patch changes happen at the same time, and the get my shitty old FCB1010 setup as the controller for everything :)

With the 4 cable method you should be bypassing the preamp of your jvm so there shouldn't be a need to switch to the clean channel.

Also, try setting your input impedance to 3.5m in the setup menu. That should help retain your direct to amp tone when nothing is activated on the pod.

You should also try the Q filter as a boost into the jvm. Mmmmmm...... I can taste it now!

On a side note, jvm's are sick. Sylosis uses them. Enough said.

Matt_D_

Reaction score
With the 4 cable method you should be bypassing the preamp of your jvm so there shouldn't be a need to switch to the clean channel.

Also, try setting your input impedance to 3.5m in the setup menu. That should help retain your direct to amp tone when nothing is activated on the pod.

You should also try the Q filter as a boost into the jvm. Mmmmmm...... I can taste it now!

On a side note, jvm's are sick. Sylosis uses them. Enough said.

4cm kind of gives you the option of using the amp premap if you want to. the effect loop send of the PHD500 goes to the amp input, effect loop send of the JVM to the effect loop return of the PHD500 and the final out goes to the effects loop return on the amp.

(i got better results using the effects loop than power section, as i can toggle the effects loop per channel, rather than the always on premap bypass of the power section input)

so if you use the effect block in the PHD500, you go via the amp's premap, and then via the effect loop. if you omit the effects block, you bypass the amp's premap and go straight into the amp's effect loop.

its pretty nifty :) I went with the 4cm because i wanted to use the orange OD1 channel which sounds fricking lovely for those joe satriani type tones ;) and then go via the PHD500 for the more modern, supercompressed, hyper high gain type stuff.

but yeah, ill try upping the resistance to 3.5m and see how that goes. the JVM's really are lovely amps, i think the 3 modes per channel, and 4 channels scares some people, but they're really super awesomely easy to use once you get the hang of them. the silent recording out is also REALLY useful. and they sound good at low volumes too ;)