meambobbo

Reaction score
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away I used thr HD 500.
We discussed studio vs live settings in this thread mainly with Bobbo. The setting is that the settings would differ. Here is something that surprised me a lot - Misha Mansoor answer on Ask FM. Kind of changes a lot for me.

"How different are your guitar sounds live compared to in the studio?"
"Very different. Live it's all about cutting through a mix at volume, so only the essential frequencies are there, we are HPF pretty high around 140ish and LPF is around 5500k. In the studio we can get away with much more scooped tones. I guess the character is similar, but live tone on a recording would just sound like a midrangey mess."

See this is why L6 would be wise to add a global eq, perhaps with storable settings.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
I'm just gonna leave this here and say wtf line 6. This is a free amp sim with NO boost. The very first modeled amp ive used that not only didn't need one, but sounded better without one. https://soundcloud.com/rickycigs/lepou-legion-metal

I even tried to tone match it and couldn't get the balls right. Even when I used the same external ir. if I had a separate interface, I would probably sell my pod. Between this, the tse x50 and peavey revalver that I now have, it seems silly to even keep it.....

VacantPlanet

Reaction score
Yeah, don't get me wrong, I love my HD, but honestly, if Peavey every decided to put ReValver into a hardware platform, and add a few more amps/fx, the HD would be sold to fund that. Same goes for x50 and its ilk.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, don't get me wrong, I love my HD, but honestly, if Peavey every decided to put ReValver into a hardware platform, and add a few more amps/fx, the HD would be sold to fund that. Same goes for x50 and its ilk.

Peavey already does make revalver hardware. It's called the musebox.

VacantPlanet

Reaction score
Oh damn, I didn't know about that, but I'd rather just have a dedicated guitar processor, i.e, a direct competitor to the HD. AND, the musebox only has the lite version of ReValver. Seriously, ReValver is the best amp sim I've ever used, but I won't use it because if I did, then there'd be no justification of my HD besides live situations :lol:. Come on, Line 6, please add a 5150 and a Diezal! :bowdown:

PS> I may be drunk so forgive any typos lol.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Here's something that might help you guys out,

The company Ignite Amps has a free tube power amp vst. It's just the power section and it has tweaks for changing tubes, bias, sag and what not. I only tried it other vst's, but it definitely helped to add some balls. If your using external ir's to record (you should be since there are great free ones) then this is a must for a thick ballsy tone.

I can find a link if you guys are too lazy....

Reaction score
Here's something that might help you guys out,

The company Ignite Amps has a free tube power amp vst. It's just the power section and it has tweaks for changing tubes, bias, sag and what not. I only tried it other vst's, but it definitely helped to add some balls. If your using external ir's to record (you should be since there are great free ones) then this is a must for a thick ballsy tone.

I can find a link if you guys are too lazy....

Jesus...their vsts are free and they not only have a power amp. I'll have to give them a shot.

jmeezle

Reaction score
I used bobbo's periphery patch for the rhythm tone... I bypassed the cab and used a Soldano cab w/ Redwirez. I might have cut too much low end on the guitars. Still a demo, still have some work to do.

https://soundcloud.com/jm2484/who-you-callin-butthead

What do you guys think? Thanks!

CALLing Line 6 CallING Line 6 - how about letting us upload THAT IR ^^^^ :shred::shred::shred::shred::shred::shred::shred::shred::shred::shred::shred::shred::shred::shred::shred::shred::shred::shred::shred::shred::shred::shred::shred::shred::shred::metal:

Glad you dig it man, thanks for making a cool rhythm patch! I've scooped it a bit to get it to sit in the mix... I'm loving the way it sounds!

mcd

stuff and thangs
Reaction score
None. You could reasonably assume that the next unit to come out would be the HD Pro X based on the fact that the DSP power in the 500 has been improved, and you could logically assume that they would want that same power in their Pro unit which is their flagship model. From a business standpoint it would make more sense to upgrade the Pro to Pro X because the Pro still costs more than the 500X which is the cheaper, more powerful unit. If you knew something was cheaper and more powerful, wouldn't you buy that over the more expensive and less powerful unit? Probably. So by upgrading the Pro to Pro X, Line 6 are maximizing their profits. That's why it's pretty obvious that the Pro X is coming.

Edit: As far as what's on the horizon for the NEXT model... I think they'll be supporting the HD series for a while since we're in a state of technology where products can be upgraded via software downloads. So don't expect another model for the next 5 to 7 years I would say.

Just got off the phone with Sweetwater confirming my order. The sales rep pretty much said with out saying, that the PRO X is around the corner. That's why sweetwater has the HD Pro for 200 less than everyone else.

ShadowFactoryX

OMNIHILITY
Reaction score
Hey everyone, its been a while, since I've been active here, but anyway...
I have an orginal HD500 the FS2 and FS6 buttons on my HD arent working anymore, I can program effects to them, but cannot switch them.
I use my HD500 as a midi switch for my V3 and also in 4 cable. Its kind of a necessary function for those to work, FS6 Switches to my #2 channel, and my FS2 is my on/off for my gate.
Anyone else run into this, or any recommendations as what the best route to go with this? I dont wanna have to send it to Line 6 and waste money.

Reaction score
Hey everyone, its been a while, since I've been active here, but anyway...
I have an orginal HD500 the FS2 and FS6 buttons on my HD arent working anymore, I can program effects to them, but cannot switch them.
I use my HD500 as a midi switch for my V3 and also in 4 cable. Its kind of a necessary function for those to work, FS6 Switches to my #2 channel, and my FS2 is my on/off for my gate.
Anyone else run into this, or any recommendations as what the best route to go with this? I dont wanna have to send it to Line 6 and waste money.

Below the chrome footpedals, there's a microswitch soldered into the board. That's probably the cause they don't work; they've either worn out or you just stepped them too hard. If you know how to solder and basic knowledge about electronics, you could dissasemble it with patience and replace them. Those microswitches can be found at electronic stores. You just have to be extra careful when de-soldering and soldering, besides not to solder/cut any rails. Before the HD500 I had a Korg AX3000G; footswitches weren't good either, so there was even a pdf online explaining how to replace them. If you're not up to the task, just find and a good electronic repair shop and they should do it without a problem.

Unless there's something new below the sun, most boards are built that way, meaning the switches are not meant to be stepped hard. I know...that's crap because everything outside seems to have been built to last years, and many guitar players are into the Metal genre; makes anyone look like a pussy when switching presets on stage hahah. But that's the way to take care of this board. The HD500X seems to have better pedals, but unless they don't have an onboard microswitch, they are bound to be as delicate as any board.