TheStig1214

Mr. Tophat Jones
Reaction score
So I'm running my POD through my new head (Laney VH100R) via 4 cable method in the insert loop. I have a volume pedal after the FX loop in the pod to do volume swells without loosing gain. Even if the pedal is all the way at 0% (yes, it's calibrated) I still hear some sound through the speakers. If I crank the volume on the amp I get a can of bees distortion sound. Any ideas?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wachu

Reaction score
Hi,
Did anyone try POD with EV ZLX speakers? How to they compare with alto's?
Second thing: Do DSP processor add some latency? I've heard they do..
cheers

Reaction score
One of the songs from the last show of the band I play the guitar and sing for, Noosfera.

I use a POD HD500 through the power amp in of a 110w transistor amp head and a 4x12" cabinet. That night also I used for the first time a Line 6 G30 wireless system.

PodHdBean

Reaction score
whats everyones favorite impulses to use? i do mean the ones on the pod.im having a hard time matching the tone with the stock cabs vs redwirez & gods cabs implulses =p

Reaction score
Man...you're all wasting a lot of time wondering which impulses to use, etc. Just make a decent patch within the POD. Use the Screamer, hi-gain amp and mess with cabs, mics and amp/cab settings. Insert the mid-focus EQ after the amp, tune to taste and that's it!

Use the rest of the time to play and make wonderful music.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
The extra power is helpful if you want to insert many effects in an atmospheric patch. The first 2 patches of that dude though could be replicated with single amp ones I believe.

In cases of distorted heavy patches it can be useful for that extra EQ that you might find your dual amp patch was lacking. I have the desktop version so I feel that lack of DSP for the extra equalisation quite often.

Honestly though, I've been all in for dual amps but I think I'll end up using single amp patches. Usually dual amps for heavy rhythm follow the logic of having one cab that's a bit more dark but excels in bass and mids, and a brighter one that has better high mids and high end. It's a pain to match them, and even when you find that combination of cabs that's good in something, corrective EQ is necessary to cover their weak spots.

I keep my main patches mono now too, no more phasing issues and no more taking up 2 channels at FOH.

I also find the additional power helpful in Dual Tone mode as I have a couple of presets that have the Clean and Crunch combined in one preset, with the Expression pedal sweeping from one to the other so that I can adjust in real-time the simulation of a crossfade from clean/crunch or vise versa. It's more musical and dynamic sounding than the old school "chug chug chug chug/Plinnnnnnnnggg" from switching from a crunchy chorus back to a clean verse.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Man...you're all wasting a lot of time wondering which impulses to use, etc. Just make a decent patch within the POD. Use the Screamer, hi-gain amp and mess with cabs, mics and amp/cab settings. Insert the mid-focus EQ after the amp, tune to taste and that's it!

...Or use an impulse, which'll probably be quicker and easier to tweak with. :lol:

PodHdBean

Reaction score
lol i know what u mean man ive tried that i just always feel its lacking the bottom end and mids of the external impulses.EVERY patch ive tried with external impulses sound wayyyyy better im just saying lol E.q can only do so much before the boosted frequencies sound just fake as fu**

Use the rest of the time to play and make wonderful music.

Stealth7

Reaction score
I'm looking for some headphones to use with the HD500, a store near me has AKG K44/77/99 headphones in stock, are they any good or is there another brand someone can recommened? Thanks!

Centrix

Reaction score
I'm having a little trouble coming up with a decent hard/dirty tone for recordings. Any tips or patches you guys can recommend for me to base on?

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
I'm looking for some headphones to use with the HD500, a store near me has AKG K44/77/99 headphones in stock, are they any good or is there another brand someone can recommened? Thanks!

Sennheiser hd380's can't go wrong with them. They are durable, they fit well, and sound great.

The_Djentry

Reaction score
Hi,

New to the thread. I just picked up a POD HD500X and I'm really struggling with learning how to use the thing to get the tones I want. Specifically I am going for the Tesseract cabless glassy clean tone. I can't seem to figure out how to make any of my tones cabless. Anyone in here have some input?

Thanks,

The_Djentry

Rizzo

Reaction score
I just got my Mackie SMR450V2 to pair up with the HD500 and i noticed that the xlr to xlr connection has a weaker signal than the jack (pod) to xlr (mackie) connection, assumed equal master knob values on the Pod.
Like, if i'm with the xlr-xlr connection and i put the master volume halfway on the mackie (+0 db, i assume), the volume is barely audible for practising but in the same situation it's considerably louder with the jack-xlr connection.
Is that a regular thing?

Ocara-Jacob

SSO Recluse
Reaction score
Hi,

New to the thread. I just picked up a POD HD500X and I'm really struggling with learning how to use the thing to get the tones I want. Specifically I am going for the Tesseract cabless glassy clean tone. I can't seem to figure out how to make any of my tones cabless. Anyone in here have some input?

Thanks,

The_Djentry

All you have to do is rotate the cab knob until it says "no cab" and then boom you have no cab. Also I made a pretty phenomenal patch a la Tesseract and posted a link for it a few pages back. I'll try to find it for ya.

EDIT: Boom. http://line6.com/customtone/tone/333704/
EDIT2: Whoops forgot about the friggin HD500/HD500X file differences. Oh well, open the patch in HD500 Edit and make it manually on your 500X

CD1221

Reaction score
I just got my Mackie SMR450V2 to pair up with the HD500 and i noticed that the xlr to xlr connection has a weaker signal than the jack (pod) to xlr (mackie) connection, assumed equal master knob values on the Pod.
Like, if i'm with the xlr-xlr connection and i put the master volume halfway on the mackie (+0 db, i assume), the volume is barely audible for practising but in the same situation it's considerably louder with the jack-xlr connection.
Is that a regular thing?

Pretty sure the jack outputs are noticably higher output than the xlr, but the xlr has better signal-noise ratio, less noisy.

Malkav

Washing your dishes.
Reaction score
So me and the drummer in the band I'm in had to make an audition video to try and get a spot in this cover band we are hoping to get a place in.

So here's that video, it's an incredibly low production value cover of Master Of Puppets on bass and drums with the original track high and low passed through it's ass because it was most important that our parts be audible.

We wanted to record it at our studio setup but the drivers to the soundcard in the PC there (ESI ESP 1010) don't work at all with Windows 7 so due to time constraints we had to do it in my little shack :D

Anyway the bass tone is my POD HD500 with my Sterling Ray35 HB, running through a dual amp chain with the typical DI & Compression on one side and an amp sim with distortion on the other.

I suppose if anybody wants to learn the track it can serve as a backing or I can send them the mp3 without the original in the mix at all. :)