Reaction score
Yes, but what with background track, is it possible to record guitar and listen to b.track only with single usb connection?

Sure. The POD is an interface by itself. You just have to choose HD500 ASIO drivers in your DAW and you can monitor everything through the headphones output of the POD. You can also use that output to plug the POD to monitors if you prefer. Every sound will come out through the interface (The POD) so what you play, the tracks in the DAW, everything, will come out that way.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Thinking about getting either a POD HD500x or AMPLIFi FX100 for practice. Which would be better for that application using some Logitech computer speakers w/ sub or ear buds for monitors? From the demos on YouTube, I think both sound good but would appreciate the ease of use of the FX100, though I'm sure HD500x edit on the computer could accomplish similar. And I'm sure someone's going to say "Why would you compare a lesser gen product to a newer gen product; are you trolling" but I'm curious before I spend the money. I think the tone match option of the FX100 would cut down on time spent dialing in tones so I can play more. What do you guys think?

Hopefully this doesn't make anyone mad; I would've started a thread but I figured you guys would be able to give me some good advice. Thanks.

I think someone explained that the FX100 is still based on XT/X3 processing. Mind that even if the FX100 is newer doesn't necessarily means it's better. I think that this year Line 6 has focused in "home musicians", so my opinion is that the FX100 is made for that range of users that like to play at home, don't spend a lot of time tweaking things to get tones and eventually record something. I've also read somewhere that the gap between patches is huge on the FX100, but again, it's not meant for live purposes.

What you choose depends on the use. If you want something that its limits are far and gives you years of experimentation, durability, rehearsal/live/studio capabilities, I'd suggest the HD500X. If you're more of a simple guy, straight to the sound without hassle and eventually rehearsal with a couple of friends without changing patches much, maybe the FX100 is for you. I haven't tried the last one, but when I compared specs with the HD500, they are 2 different worlds. Also, you should have an iPad to make the best out of the FX100.

guitarfreak1387

squirrel chaser
Reaction score
quick question. I'm looking for an FRFR to go with my pod. right now I'm using some cheap surround sound system from walmart (go ahead and laugh). I'v been hearing good things from pod users about altos.

now the question. how big of a difference will there be if i go with the ts110a compared to the st112a? I'm not going to be giging with the set up, i just want something that will sound better than what I'm using at the moment, which to be honest won't be that hard to do.

Reaction score
quick question. I'm looking for an FRFR to go with my pod. right now I'm using some cheap surround sound system from walmart (go ahead and laugh). I'v been hearing good things from pod users about altos.

now the question. how big of a difference will there be if i go with the ts110a compared to the st112a? I'm not going to be giging with the set up, i just want something that will sound better than what I'm using at the moment, which to be honest won't be that hard to do.

Ahahahah! :evil:

bcolville

Reaction score
I'm considering buying a torpedo cab and making my own match eq ir's to put in it. Torn between doing that or just getting an axe fx since it can load ir's.

PlumbTheDerps

Reaction score
HD Pro experts: I've noticed that my unprocessed DIs, recorded via USB with nothing in the POD signal chain, are significantly darker than the DI stems I download from, for example, the sneap forum. Is there some processing going on that I don't know about that's making them darker, or is it just the quality of the preamps in the POD?

bcolville

Reaction score
HD Pro experts: I've noticed that my unprocessed DIs, recorded via USB with nothing in the POD signal chain, are significantly darker than the DI stems I download from, for example, the sneap forum. Is there some processing going on that I don't know about that's making them darker, or is it just the quality of the preamps in the POD?

Most likely how the different guitars sound

PlumbTheDerps

Reaction score
Most likely how the different guitars sound

Could very well be, but I downloaded like 8 sets of stems with different guitars in the last several days, and all were much brighter- and I replaced my strings 2 days ago, and cleaned the neck. : / I also briefly owned a Scarlett 2i2, and I don't have any audio clips, but my impression (had it for 2 days only) was that the pre was substantially brighter, but I sort of ignored it. It just seems odd since I don't think there should be much difference between two relatively cheap pre's.

edit: just found this thread. This guy switched from an XT to an Onyx Blackjack, which is one of the interfaces I was considering getting. I can't detect any difference whatsoever in the sound from the clips he posted.
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/backline/924840-recommend-me-audio-interface-di-box-2.html

bcolville

Reaction score
Can someone help me figure out what kind of fx units to use for something similar to intervals - ephemeral on the layer at 0:13 and 1:54? I don't usually use fx so I don't know my way around them. Thanks.

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
Tremolo effect under Modulation.

this!, although I've never been able to correctly set up the tremolo in the POD :lol:, god I forgot how awesome this album sounded

anyways, I haven't recorded with my POD in more than a year since I started using VST's only, but yesterday I was fooling around with Ola's handjob patch and some impulses (Catharsis) and really digged the tone (ok ok, and was too lazy too hook up my interface :lol: )
so I decided to cover a few riffs from Lord Resistance Army and for the first time ever Im happy with my result.
Isolated guitar tracks around 1:05, then I added the other instruments

https://db.tt/k7wMeHw1

my drums still sound like shit though :lol:

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Got my POD X3 Live today, finally, and I'm getting an HD500 on Wednesday. UPS dude was probably just being a lazy prick on Friday because, "God it's so hot and it's almost the weekend, I don't wanna use Google Maps and find where this place is. D:"

The X3 Live sounds good, so I'm excited as hell to hear how much better the HD500 sounds. Setting up the audio drivers took a little effort to get it to play through my laptop so it could play rather than using the X3 Live as a soundcard, but it was simple enough that I didn't really need a walk through or anything.

The only thing that's a tad confusing/convoluted is using GearBox for saving/setting up new patches to the X3L. What I do is save the patch to the computer for a backup after changing the name in the patch window, send a selected patch to the X3L, then save it on the X3L to the location I want it at. I did lose a patch from trying to change the tone 1/2 names in the patch window, but it was a simple patch and will be easy enough to remake.

ZeroS1gnol

Reaction score
Got my POD X3 Live today, finally, and I'm getting an HD500 on Wednesday. UPS dude was probably just being a lazy prick on Friday because, "God it's so hot and it's almost the weekend, I don't wanna use Google Maps and find where this place is. D:"

I dont really get it. You get an X3 and immediately after it a HD? You are never touching that X3 once you have the HD, it is miles better.

PodHdBean

Reaction score
yeah the hd is better in a majority of ways but the x3 has some tones the hd just cant get.i do mean bass and clean tones thats it lol :scream:
I dont really get it. You get an X3 and immediately after it a HD? You are never touching that X3 once you have the HD, it is miles better.

Rizzo

Reaction score
Is it possible to pass a mixer through the HD, for multiple mics recording? And how? Or would i just make a mess?

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score

Mainly because I had the money for both, got them used for the price of a new HD500 and like things about both.

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score

I have and HD and Im giving the idea of getting an X3 some thought :lol:

the High-Gain options are a lot more varied and i've heard a lot more albums sounding incredible with an X3 rather than a HD (of course that depends on your mixing and engineering abilities though...)

anyways, congrats on the new PODs man!, I absolutely recommend you to try 3th party Impulses for the HD if you want to record with it

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I have and HD and Im giving the idea of getting an X3 some thought :lol:

the High-Gain options are a lot more varied and i've heard a lot more albums sounding incredible with an X3 rather than a HD (of course that depends on your mixing and engineering abilities though...)

anyways, congrats on the new PODs man!, I absolutely recommend you to try 3th party Impulses for the HD if you want to record with it

Thanks man. :shred: I've been playing guitar a lot the past two days since I got the X3 and have about 8-10 patches that I really like and they didn't take long at all to configure.

Anyways, I'm sure I'll like the HD regardless. The only thing that might annoy me is the DSP limit depending on how 'limiting' it is to building patches. No pun intended. :lol:

I found $200 bucks that I hid :hbang: so maybe I might get something to use in the FX loop of the HD500 in the few cases when I need more, though I'm not sure it'll be necessary cuz all I'd need is a compressor, boost, gate, dual amps, a simple reverb and delay. If it's too annoying/limiting, I'll scour the classifieds for a POD HD desktop and set up a few FX patches.