This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
Don't normally post or even look in this thread as I don't own an HD, but saw some discussion on the X3/POD Farm which I can add too.
Regarding what mnemonic said (post is too big too bother trying to quote and snip bits):

Agreed with the assessment on the TS808 model. A lot honkier and overbearing than the real deal, although I've found notching out a little 700-800Hz in the EQ can make it more useful and tame the overbearing mids, while still retaining the low end and lower mid tightening effect the TS is so famous.
Still definitely not as good as the TS model in my Boss GT-100, that's for sure.

All the mic models are actually somewhat usable.
There was a dude on the Andy Sneap forum that got unbelievable guitar and bass tones even with using the condenser mic model.

The T75 cab's tonal quality is a bit exaggerated compared to the real deal. Although it's also possible that my particular 1960A cab I own is a bit middier than most 1960A because of manufacturing variances, but I'm sure it's the former. It's also not entirely clear whether the cab model is based off the A or B cab either :shrug: (the latter being a bit bigger sounding)

The real life Marshall and Mesa Boogie Recto cabs both use proprietary V30s (huge misconception that goes around guitar forums that there is only one type of V30), neither of which sound the same as the 'normal' V30 you get in Orange, ENGL cabs etc etc. The Boogie specific V30 is darker and smoother than the other V30s.
The construction plus the Boogie V30 rather than the Marshall variant make it sound very different from a 1960AV/BV cab.
The POD X3 cab model consequently pairs very well with the Diamondplate set fairly bright and can sound really good if you're prepared to give it some more time.

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
Meh, I can't find it right now. Basically you gotta use a gate or something like the Screamer, because, for whatever reason, it otherwise won't use the B path.

That didn't work. I made an identical patch while monitoring both paths in Logic, and it worked :confused::scratch::shrug:

The only thing I can come up with is that I built the original patch using only a single 1/4" out, and it somehow "remembered" that when I tried to use both channels. I realize that makes no sense, but its pretty much the only thing I can come up with.

Oh, well, I got it working at any rate

jamesdolecek

Reaction score
I recently purchased a POD HD500 and love it. I now need a speaker for it. Now I live in apartment so that is also to be considered. I have played it thru my Peavey Vypyr but looking for much better than what that has to offer, I even tried it through my Klipsch computer speakers, but need more headroom. I have considered an active PA speaker but when I looked at those they are 800+ watts and me being in an apartment not sure if that is the way to go or not. I have also considered the Tech21 power Engine. Now I do have a EVH 5150-III 1x12 cab but no power amp. So what would you guys suggest?

7stg

Reaction score
For apartment use, studio monitors are the best way to go. Look at Adam f7 with a subf or Yamaha hs7 with a hs8s, If you have a bigger budget Adam a7x or a77x with a sub10mkii or sub12. This approach is very versatile covering guitar, bass, and keyboard. They make a good stereo as well. The sound is very clear and tight. Studio monitors are designed for clear reproduction of the source.

SnoozyWyrm

Reaction score
I play an HD500x through nearfields and I find the sound too sterile. I feel that I have to tinker with power amp and cab settings a whole lot to achieve an acceptable sound. That's why I am also considering a Power Engine or a DT series amp. Anyone have any experience with those?

macgruber

cat enthusiast
Reaction score
if you wanna take advantage of the different speaker models in the pod hd, get studio monitors. playing through a power engine or line 6 DT series will only color your IR sound with speakers...essentially double eq'ing them.

SnoozyWyrm

Reaction score
IMHO the HD mic/cab models are kinda bad :), that's what I am trying to circumvent (without resorting to carrying a laptop/torpedo to gigs).

noj

Reaction score
I use an Alto TS115a with my hd pro x, sounds good enough for me :) still sounds good at low volumes too. You will need to eq your tones again for any sort of practice/gig volumes to cut through though.

Reaction score
How are you all plugging your HD 500 into an interface to record? Jack to jack? XLR? I've always gone to jack to jack, just wondering if anyone is doing differently?

The best way to connect it is using the S/PDIF output (No A/D D/A reconversion) but of course, you have to have an interface that has a coaxial S/PDIF input. If you don't have an interface with a coaxial S/PDIF input, the other way to record without reconversion is using th USB port. I'm surprised people don't know at this point that the HD500 (X3, XT for the matter) is actually an audio interface itself with NATIVE ASIO DRIVERS. So, I don't get why ON EARTH you'd use XLR outputs to record, unless your computer doesn't have USB ports. The HD500 can record in 24-bit depth at 96 Khz maximum, with it's lowest latency at 128 samples, which means roughly 2 ms; nothing to envy to any audio interface on the market. I usually have recorded at 96 Khz / 24-bit with my M-Audio interface, but for some reason, when I use lower sample rates with the S/PDIF output, I get cracks and noises, so it seems my S/PDIF doesn't get along well with other sample rates than 96 Khz. When I had to record in 48 Khz I just plugged the POD to the USB port and used HD500 ASIO drivers in my daw; simple as that, no reconversion.

Reaction score
Yesterday something rather disturbing happened during band rehearsal and it wasn't the first time; when I switched patches, the sound got cut out followed by an extremely loud 'whoomp'. Had to cut out volume and switch patches to get it to stop. After that everything was normal again.

First I experienced this was when two amps, some fx and my pod were connected to an extension cord, so I blamed the cord. Now it was just my GT800FX and the Pod connected to another extension cord.

Ive been searching the internet for users who experienced the same and found some people blaming ground loops for the cause, however there isn't an answer to be found from a Line6 employee, so it's everyone's best guess what is causing it. I wonder wether anyone here has experienced the same issue and perhaps has found a cure for it. It'd be awful if something like it would happen on stage or blow out a speaker on my cabs.

That's a firmware problem which was finally solved (after somewhat 2 years...) in the past 2 firmwares. Update to the latest and you should play ok. I had that problem happen like 5 times since I own the board. It doesn't happen often; according to Line 6, it happens when a certain "combination" of settings is present. I had mentalized myself that if it did happen when I was playing live, I should quicky press another patch and go back to the one I needed.

gunslingerjh

Headless Mofo
Reaction score
Dude what in the hell did you use to get that both of those tones lol.

I used the Fireball + Treadplate in a dual amp setting with the xxl v-30 and the 412 uber cabs. I combined the low end of the treadplate with the high end of the fireball amp by centering the two amps!

that short guy

Reaction score
I used the Fireball + Treadplate in a dual amp setting with the xxl v-30 and the 412 uber cabs. I combined the low end of the treadplate with the high end of the fireball amp by centering the two amps!

I might have to beg you on my bony knees to post the sound but I'm gonna have to give that set up a test tonight

that short guy

Reaction score
but while I'm working on that

here's the tone I've been working on for the last few weeks.
[SC]https://soundcloud.com/i_get_bored/ltd-bw-1-demo[/SC]

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
but while I'm working on that

here's the tone I've been working on for the last few weeks.
[SC]https://soundcloud.com/i_get_bored/ltd-bw-1-demo[/SC]

Other than the ducking from your drums overcompressing the master bus everything sounds pretty good