PodHdBean

Reaction score
Does anyone on here have any luck connecting to a cab and having a output for direct to the front of the house system? i dont know how i could do this since i need to turn the cab impulse off with the cab.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lewis

Reaction score
Does anyone on here have any luck connecting to a cab and having a output for direct to the front of the house system? i dont know how i could do this since i need to turn the cab impulse off with the cab.

Presumably it would be a dual patch, panned hard left and hard right in the mixer. 1 of the amps in the dual chain (for example Left) would have the cab disabled and go out of 1 output into a power amp and then into a real cab, the other amp in the dual amp chain (Right) would keep the cab impulse active and go out of the other output into the FOH?

Im guessing that works as thats what I will be aiming for eventually too :hbang:

Vigaren

Reaction score
The power and standby settings are poweramp controls, so just use the settings you will usually use to turn it on.

The eq and gain controls (all preamp 'channel' controls) won't work since you're bypassing the preamp. Since presence, resonance and master volume are all poweramp controls (or at least, they should be... some amps may label things 'presence' and 'resonance' when they're actually something else) they will still work.

The easiest way to think about it is to split the amplifier into three parts.

Preamp -> Poweramp -> Speaker cabinet.

The FX Loop is between the preamp and poweramp, so by inserting an alternative preamp into the FX Loop (in this case, the pod as the alternative preamp) you're bypassing everything before the poweramp.

Thanks alot man! very helpful! Can one hook a POD HD to a combo amp that doesnt have tubes?

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Thanks alot man! very helpful! Can one hook a POD HD to a combo amp that doesnt have tubes?

You certainly can, in the same way, if it has an fx loop.

If it doesn't have an fx loop, you can plug it straight into the input of the clean channel, but the amp's preamp will color the tone. And in my experience it isn't in a subtle way. You may like it though, so everything is worth trying.

PodHdBean

Reaction score
ive tried this but i always run out of dsp =/
Presumably it would be a dual patch, panned hard left and hard right in the mixer. 1 of the amps in the dual chain (for example Left) would have the cab disabled and go out of 1 output into a power amp and then into a real cab, the other amp in the dual amp chain (Right) would keep the cab impulse active and go out of the other output into the FOH?

Im guessing that works as thats what I will be aiming for eventually too :hbang:

Reaction score
I made a sludge/stoner tone

[sc]https://soundcloud.com/alice_akw/pod-hd500-stonersludgeish-tone[/sc]

Bob-Marley---Ganja--C10292840.jpg

JEngelking

Gravity is Shifting!
Reaction score
I made a sludge/stoner tone

[sc]https://soundcloud.com/alice_akw/pod-hd500-stonersludgeish-tone[/sc]

May I ask what kind of distortion and amp you're using for that? It sounds good, and I've made a fuzzy, pseudo-sludgy tone recently as well. Right now mine is using the Line 6 Drive in to the Doom amp.

Alice AKW

Wolf Ninja
Reaction score
May I ask what kind of distortion and amp you're using for that? It sounds good, and I've made a fuzzy, pseudo-sludgy tone recently as well. Right now mine is using the Line 6 Drive in to the Doom amp.

I'm using one of the fuzzier drives into a Hiwat with the gain dimed.

lewis

Reaction score
ive tried this but i always run out of dsp =/

Then use some sort of 3rd party IR Loader instead like a Torpedo CAB to run into the PA so you can disable both Amps Cabs/Mics. That will free up alot of DSP and sound better seeing as the Torpedo stuff right out of the box sounds better than the Line 6 Stock Cabs and Mics. :hbang: again this is what Im doing :yesway:

ZeroS1gnol

Reaction score
*update below, maybe still interesting to read*

I need some help.

Im trying to change the way I setup my patches. My current setup is having a setlist for live gigs where I have a patch A for main sounds and patch B or C for leads. Im extremely annoyed by the switch lag of the pod, so I thought: let's create a patch with a dual signal path, so I can switch to a lead sound without having to switch patches.

The problem I run into now is that I have no clue how to set up the controller to A/B switch the signal paths. Im quite sure I read it somewhere once and honestly, it'd be plain silly if it wasn't possible. So basically what I am asking is: how to set up a footswitch to switch between paths A and B on the mixer?

Below a picture of the patch to illustrate:

patch.jpg

One more note: I currently set the bottom chain to an FS, but when everything is off, I hear the clean signal coming through, so the path is not muted.

Update:

I figured it out. First, what I accidentally noticed is that when an amp is switched off it will display a bypass volume. I set it to 0 on both amps to kill the signal when the chain is off, then assigned both chains to the same footswitch, while one chain is on and the other was off. This creates a toggle option. So solved!
Yaaay!

Metalman X

The Resplendent Sub-Human
Reaction score
Well guys... I went ahead and took the plunge on an HD Pro X.

Been through a GSP1101 (had for years, and still think is great, but wanted more options), a Bass Pod XT Pro, an X3 bean and an X3 Pro as well. While I still prefer the X3 Pro for bass, and may use for some vocal stuff as well, the HD is just a monster for guitar!

Even using the internal cabs, and taking time to tweak and EQ right (meambobo's guide was a great primer! If your reading this, thanx dude!) it's monstrous.

I'm really digging the Treadplate and F-Ball models the most. I like to use them with the Vetta Juice in front as a clean boost + sustain, and use the amp & cabs EQ's and DEP's to tighten them up, than run a mid focus eq after each amp/cab (I'm running dual amps, but using same amps with different cabs/mics for each side per patch) for fine-tuning and cleaning up the edges.

I used to have a small studio setup when I had a house, but after a breakup a couple years ago, been living in a one bedroom apartment, and my Randalls and Ampeg have been collecting dust (keeping them though, they will rise again!) since obviously cant be using 300 and 400watt guitar amps, or a 1000watt bass amp in here. And with my jobs long, crazy hours, playing with others ain't happening in the foreseeable future, so been looking at options for getting good direct tones for a lil' while now. And the HD fit the bill better than I've imagined thus far. Sounds great through my M-Audio BX8a monitors.

I do go out from the XLR's though, and feed those through an ART TPS-II tube mic preamp to do a little subtle, final sweetening before it hits my interface (an M-Audio Delta 1010lt PCI card). Anybody else do this too? It makes sense to me as logically, if you miced a cab in the room, you'd typically still be going through some kinda' preamp before finally hitting 'tape'. So I treat my Pod output's similarly. Works for me. Helps warm it up a little more IMO.

QUESTION... regarding MIDI. I'm using a TC electronics G-Major as I love its effects. I wanna use this in conjunction with my HD Pro through the loop so I have more effects options (as well as not worry about DSP since alot of my patches will be using dual amp/cabs and multiple EQ's). I'm using an FBV-II going into the HD Pro, than connecting a MIDI cable from the HD's 'midi out' to the G-majors 'MIDI in'. It only wants to switch patches alogside eachother upto #10. After that the HD doesn't want to switch the G-Major too. Same thing happened when using it with my X3 Pro.... the first 10 presets would sync, but after that, the G-Major would have to be manually switched to any preset above 10. This makes me think the issue is more to do with a setting in my G-Major... but I can't seem to locate it. Just for schitts and giggles, I tried hooking it upto the G-Majors 'thru', and also tried switching the MIDI to 'Omni' but same results.... only the first 10 patches sync up.

(EDIT: Fixed the above MIDI issue by changing the G-Majors MIDI Program setting from 'User' to 'Custom' ...go figure? I'll leave the question though in case anyone else is searching this and needs the fix too)

kevinerror

Reaction score
Instagram
I've been drooling over Axe FXs all week, so today I decided to sit and have some fun with my 500x. Made some cool ambient stuff, Devin Townsend style. I know the video's not much, but I'm happy to share patches if anyone's interested.

Bforber

Reaction score
Sorry guys. I tried searching the thread for this, but 375 pages is a lot of material.

Is the DSP limit difference on the hd500x that noticeable? I'm deciding on whether I want to pick up a used 500 or just bite the bullet on a hd500x.

Thefailsafe

Reaction score
Instagram
I've been drooling over Axe FXs all week, so today I decided to sit and have some fun with my 500x. Made some cool ambient stuff, Devin Townsend style. I know the video's not much, but I'm happy to share patches if anyone's interested.

Bing bong HELLO!

Seriously though that'd be great mate that patch sounded lush!