Machine Head 5150s ... help maybe?

Shask

Reaction score
they run chorus hard infront of the amp right? rather than Efx Loop.

Their old searing Rhythm/lead tones were just stunning. Made drop B sound groovier and heavier than it probably ever had at that point.

I was obsessed with this band back then. Modded my Epi flying v to look exactly like his ESP/Gibson copy flying V. Just wish my epi had 24 frets.
He uses the EHX Electric Mistress Flanger and not Chorus.... same idea though.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bentaycanada

Reaction score
Machine Head tone is pretty easy to get.
5150 > TS9 > Guitar with EMG 81 in the bridge, and remember to scoop those mids! You can’t miss with that setup.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
On my 5150II, I got the best results boosting the rhythm channel with an SD-1 rather than a TS pedal.

But FWIW, I've heard the 5152's rhythm channel is much different than the OG.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
That may be what Ola's using to cover that track, but I'm pretty sure that I've read in past that BME was 5150's on Rhythm Channel with Boss SD-1's.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
You also need a Marshall 1960A cab

I've played a boosted 5150 through a 1960A, with a Les Paul with EMG81. I copied Rob's settings, and it sounded - not that great.

Don't know if there's some other tricks involved. Or his fingers/picking really is magical.

KailM

Reaction score
On my 5150II, I got the best results boosting the rhythm channel with an SD-1 rather than a TS pedal.

But FWIW, I've heard the 5152's rhythm channel is much different than the OG.

I would definitely describe the 5152 rhythm channel as quite different from the 5150's rhythm channel. The II/6505+ has a much tighter, midrangey Marshall thing going on, whereas the OG has a thicker, rounder version of the standard 5150 brootz channel. The OG head has a massive chug sound on both channels; with the green channel being even chunkier than the red -- but less grind and aggression in the mids.

The II/+ has a delicious sound to it as well though, just more of a hot-rodded JCM 800 sound.

Also, FWIW there is indeed a huge (I mean, huge to us tone geeks) difference in sound between boosting with a TS vs. an SD-1 type pedal. The SD-1 and clones of it sound more grindy, mean, and pissed off, compared to the more refined, smooth tone of a TS boost.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I actually felt the 5152's crunch channel was kinda flubbier, which is why I needed a SD-1 vs a TS. Wasn't tight enough for the cause.

Also another thing with the SD-1 is there's less output and gain. But that's POSSIBLY due to the fact there's less low end and low mids being boosted. The SD-1 boosts more in the high mids, which makes it a great, thrashy boost pedal.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
The difference that a Boss SD-1 and a TS have through one of these amps is night and day. TS gives you that mushy metalcore sound while the Boss SD-1 gives you essentially a hammer with an ax blade on one side of it. I'll never go back to a TS now that I've heard what an SD-1 does for a 6505+.

buriedoutback

Reaction score
The difference that a Boss SD-1 and a TS have through one of these amps is night and day. TS gives you that mushy metalcore sound while the Boss SD-1 gives you essentially a hammer with an ax blade on one side of it. I'll never go back to a TS now that I've heard what an SD-1 does for a 6505+.

Ok I have to get hold of an SD-1 with this endorsement!

L 10 / D 0 / tone to taste?

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score

That's what I do typically, but it should be noted that the SD-1 has a way of adding a bit of a dry boost, so you can actually get away with a small amount of gain on the pedal, maybe one notch. I do that and it gives me the juice I need while still being pretty tight. It turns the 6505+ into a straight up thrash, death, and black metal machine instead of a generic metalcore/hardcore amp.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
You also need a Marshall 1960A cab

I've played a boosted 5150 through a 1960A, with a Les Paul with EMG81. I copied Rob's settings, and it sounded - not that great.

Don't know if there's some other tricks involved. Or his fingers/picking really is magical.

Wasn't that 5150 they used modded, though? That could be a contributing factor.

Shask

Reaction score

The SD-1 is great for making everything sound tight, more aggressive in the upper mids, and just more metal overall. I used them for years, and went on a search for better, more expensive ODs.... while I have several different boosts now, I recently picked up a cheap SD-1 because I found myself missing it. I don't ever see getting rid of this one.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
Robb claims his 5150 isn't modded.

Also I looked around and apparently it was a SD1 on Burn. And honestly it kinda sounds like a Marshall cab?

Ah, well then, I'm not sure. He has gone on record to say that that particular 5150 is "special" and he doesn't know what it is, but I'd also read that it had been modded. Who knows? Either way, I love the tone on that album. Nice and groovy.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Ah, well then, I'm not sure. He has gone on record to say that that particular 5150 is "special" and he doesn't know what it is, but I'd also read that it had been modded. Who knows? Either way, I love the tone on that album. Nice and groovy.

I've read it as well. Even saw Ola say that as well.

Then again, Ola also claims Burn was a TS9, when the main consensus is SD-1.

I mean, it could be a red herring. It COULD be modded and he doesn't wanna say.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
I DO know that he keeps it locked up in a storage unit or a studio, not sure which. But, I tried to get Burn My Eyes tone and the SD-1 brings me FAR closer than the TS ever did.

Shask

Reaction score
I always thought Burn My Eyes was some Marshall and the SD-1. I didn't think he used the 5150 until "...The More Things Change". I know Burn My Eyes does not have the fat low end the other records have.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I always thought Burn My Eyes was some Marshall and the SD-1. I didn't think he used the 5150 until "...The More Things Change". I know Burn My Eyes does not have the fat low end the other records have.

It was a mix I read. Robb's JCM800 from Vio-Lence, and Logan Mader's 5150.