Machine Head 5150s ... help maybe?

Alex79

Reaction score
I always thought Burn My Eyes was some Marshall and the SD-1. I didn't think he used the 5150 until "...The More Things Change". I know Burn My Eyes does not have the fat low end the other records have.

He definitely used Marshalls on the first tour when he was in Germany, but I wouldn't know if it was the same amp or rented. They weren't that big when BME first came out, so it might have been the same amp.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I was watching some videos from '94, and Robb's definitely using some un-labeled Marshall JMP. Seemed to be paired with a Recto in one show.

Reaction score
You also need a Marshall 1960A cab

I've played a boosted 5150 through a 1960A, with a Les Paul with EMG81. I copied Rob's settings, and it sounded - not that great.

Don't know if there's some other tricks involved. Or his fingers/picking really is magical.
they modded their amps

Reaction score
I would love some help with the information with getting the exact same crushing machine head guitar tone of both robb flynn and logan mader on the burn my eyes and the more things change from what i have heard robb used a modded peavy 5150 from what ive tryed to find apparently rob had it set to the rhythm green channel with crunch or something like that ive tryed to find what mods he had if anyone knows the exact mods or who modded it please tell me but from what ive found apparently he had a clarity mod a noise reduction mod and a bias mod apparently during burn my eyes robb used mesa oversized cabs With greenbacks apparently robb used a boss sd1 pedal and ibanez rg with emg 81 i think for the more things change he used most of the same stuff but he used a vintage marshall cabinet with v30 and a tube screamer 9 and i think a GML 8200 EQ logan i have know idea please help what ever it takes even if it takes me going to sketchie websites or flying to America to robb flynn or logan or collin richardson or andy sneap All that is what ive heard from some rumours but i wanna know the real gear i love the tone but i also wanna know what logan used

Last edited:

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
they modded their amps

See below

I would love some help with the information with getting the exact same crushing machine head guitar tone of both robb flynn and logan mader on the burn my eyes and the more things change from what i have heard robb used a modded peavy 5150 from what ive tryed to find apparently rob had it set to the rhythm green channel with crunch or something like that ive tryed to find what mods he had if anyone knows the exact mods or who modded it please tell me but from what ive found apparently he had a clarity mod a noise reduction mod and a bias mod apparently during burn my eyes robb used mesa oversized cabs With greenbacks apparently robb used a boss sd1 pedal and ibanez rg with emg 81 i think for the more things change he used most of the same stuff but he used a vintage marshall cabinet with v30 and a tube screamer 9 and i think a GML 8200 EQ logan i have know idea please help what ever it takes even if it takes me going to sketchie websites or flying to America to robb flynn or logan or collin richardson or andy sneap All that is what ive heard from some rumours but i wanna know the real gear i love the tone but i also wanna know what logan used

I don't have first hand info, but on the Andy Sneap forums and HarmonyCentral Robb's guitar tech made several posts.

His tone comes from a "special" 5150 (called "Bubba", NOT modded), with SD-1 clean boost. Rhythm (green) channel. JCM 1960B cabinet with V30s. In later interviews, Robb also mentions that he blends Bubba with "a Marshall". No further description of what that amp was.

We know from production videos of later albums that nowadays they quad track their guitars, and use blended SM57 and MD421 microphones.

Thing is, are you really going to go and buy the same gear, have the mods done etc?

If you're really desperate for that tone for your own recording, your best bet IMO would be find a bit of the isolated guitar from the album, then EQ match it, or use BIAS amp match or AxeFX etc. There's some isolated guitar at the start of "None but my own" which would be super easy to clone with modern plugins. The guitar tone by itself isn't that special IMO - it's the mix with bass and drums which makes it heavy.

KailM

Reaction score

You should think about paragraphs.

Anyhow, I've never really checked out Machine Head all that much. Just listened to "Burn My Eyes" and concluded that that's a tone I hear every day with my stock 6505 on the green channel, boosted by an MXR M77.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
You should think about paragraphs.

Anyhow, I've never really checked out Machine Head all that much. Just listened to "Burn My Eyes" and concluded that that's a tone I hear every day with my stock 6505 on the green channel, boosted by an MXR M77.

Don't forget the Marshall cab.

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
I don’t think anyone needs to mod their 5150 to get the MH tone. A low noise 5751, or high grade/low gain 12ax7 in V1, a quad of hot 6L6’s, and an SD-1 will get you basically there.

Luafcm

Reaction score
I know that Rob has said that he loves the sound of feedback, and when learning to play, he could never get his rig to scream like he wanted it to. Trying to figure out how to get that screaming high gain feedback when he wasn't playing, he developed that technique of hitting the open natural harmonic that is laden in MH riffage.

So yea, there truly is some magic in Rob's right (and left!) hand playing technique. Seeing the Rob and Logan show convinced me to get a 5150 myself. Flanger is also a must, but I think I need an Andy Sneap in my signal chain to nail that tone.

GoldDragon

Reaction score
If the dual input on the 5150 is like the JSX dual input, you can use the second jack as a "boost" switch.

You run a latched switch pedal into the second input and when you switch A/B, the input of the other input toggles between low and high.