Marc Okubo now with Kiesel?

• Thread starter QuantumCybin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JEngelking

Gravity is Shifting!
Reaction score

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
Despite all the customer service horror stories that's worth entire threads, Kiesel seem to have a great track record for artist endorsements, which is why a lot of players have been switching over to them. From what I read in the Andy James thread, an endorser can receive up to five free guitars, then get 40% off on their next build, which sounds like a huge deal to me.
So, that is all that it comes down to here. Free guitars.

I know that there are other factors that some big companies offer such as cash incentives (along with sales percentages for those with signature guitars). However, Kiesel doesn't offer anything other than "Hey, free guitars! Come get your free guitars!" to entice artists.

I get it though. Gear is expensive. This cuts costs for players. And obviously, they will have multiple guitars for touring on the road and for recording in studio. However, to me, it seems like a brand that would offer other incentives would be more beneficial. (Something in your pocket other than just a free guitar, I mean.)

Brand loyalty seems to be a dying thing these days. But, we all understand that musicians have to make a living any way that they can. (I just don't think Kiesel is contributing to that with, again, anything really worthwhile such as cash incentives, for example.)

I just couldn't hop on a hype-machine such as Kiesel knowing their long history of customer service mistakes, bad PR plunders, and outright atrocious behavior across various forums (including this one).

Man, Jackson missed out on the signature series of a lifetime, Marc's solid pink Soloists are iconic.
I agree. I've seen many players crying for a Jackson Marc Okubo signature (whether USA or imported from an Asian-based factory).

But I can't blame him for making the switch, going with Kiesel is probably far more lucrative for him
How so? We just established that Kiesel doesn't really offer much as far as "short term returns" or incentives to endorsed players on their roster.

It seems like he just wanted more short term returns. Which is perfectly fine. Dudes gotta eat.
^ Ding ding ding! Winner! ^

Last edited:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So, that is all that it comes down to here. Free guitars.

I know that there are other factors that some big companies offer such as cash incentives (along with sales percentages for those with signature guitars). However, Kiesel doesn't offer anything other than "Hey, free guitars! Come get your free guitars!" to entice artists.

I get it though. Gear is expensive. This cuts costs for players. And obviously, they will have multiple guitars for touring on the road and for recording in studio. However, to me, it seems like a brand that would offer other incentives would be more beneficial. (Something in your pocket other than just a free guitar, I mean.)

Brand loyalty seems to be a dying thing these days. But, we all understand that musicians have to make a living any way that they can. (I just don't think Kiesel is contributing to that with, again, anything really worthwhile such as cash incentives, for example.)

I just couldn't hop on a hype-machine such as Kiesel knowing their long history of customer service mistakes, bad PR plunders, and outright atrocious behavior across various forums (including this one).

I agree. I've seen many players crying for a Jackson Marc Okubo signature (whether USA or imported from an Asian-based factory).

How so? We just established that Kiesel doesn't really offer much as far as "short term returns" or incentives to endorsed players on their roster.

^ Ding ding ding! Winner! ^

They can just sell the guitars, especially given the amount supposedly offered and for the discount they're said to receive on future orders.

That's actually how a lot of artists have made money. Remember when Buz and Tosin unloaded thier LACS?

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
They can just sell the guitars, especially given the amount supposedly offered and for the discount they're said to receive on future orders.

That's actually how a lot of artists have made money. Remember when Buz and Tosin unloaded their LACS?
Ah, yes. Good point. Sell the guitars and get a small chunk of money to last for a small amount of time.

With that said, have you noticed that Kiesel guitars seem to have a difficult time moving in the used marketplace recently? Even if they were artist owned, many just sit for so long, even after so many price drops by the seller. Seems like folks can't seem to offload their Kiesels easily enough. I'm not sure if this is due to specs of each build being fairly unique to the tastes of the seller, or if it's due to the reputation of Kiesel as a company, or due to just oversaturation in the marketplace.

JEngelking

Gravity is Shifting!
Reaction score
... or if it's due to the reputation of Kiesel as a company...

Gotta say, while I admittedly haven't paid too much attention to the used marketplace trends lately, that's the case for me and may be for others as well if we're discussing strictly the marketplace on here. When I was in college I'd spend hours on the Carvin builder spec'ing out builds that I'd love to order, thinking about when I graduated and got a full-time job I'd be making enough to be able to order these awesome builds that I yearned for so bad.

Now that I'm in the position that I used to daydream about though, and after the company has pulled so many antics I've heard about, while I could afford to order a Kiesel now I just don't want to. As badly as I would like to get a CT, JB, or most recently a Zeus, now I think I'd prefer another PRS, Jackson or Charvel, or a Xen/OAF. I'd just rather save up a bit more and order from another company and give my support to them instead if I feel that they have a good track record and good customer service, instead of buying this guitar that I have this negative connotation attached to, even if I did end up having a pleasant ordering experience with them.

Maybe I'm overthinking or something like that, but that's just my :2c:.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ah, yes. Good point. Sell the guitars and get a small chunk of money to last for a small amount of time.

With that said, have you noticed that Kiesel guitars seem to have a difficult time moving in the used marketplace recently? Even if they were artist owned, many just sit for so long, even after so many price drops by the seller. Seems like folks can't seem to offload their Kiesels easily enough. I'm not sure if this is due to specs of each build being fairly unique to the tastes of the seller, or if it's due to the reputation of Kiesel as a company, or due to just oversaturation in the marketplace.

How much long-term financial incentives do you think low level artists get? Even at larger companies like, such as ESP or Ibanez?

Andrew Lloyd Webber

Super Duper Moduraturr
Reaction score
This probably belongs in the first world problems thread but, I’ve re-read the last four pages, and still can’t decide whose speculation is less valid.

bmth4111

Reaction score
His new guitars are really cool, even if the trans purple one is a little gaudy. I wonder what pickups hes using now since before they were fishman moderns. Anyone know if he used moderns on the eclipse and false idol albums?
upload_2019-2-9_1-12-55.png

49907189_250607612501855_946472275939920776_n.jpg

FancyFish

bruh
Reaction score
His new guitars are really cool, even if the trans purple one is a little gaudy. I wonder what pickups hes using now since before they were fishman moderns. Anyone know if he used moderns on the eclipse and false idol albums?
View attachment 66942

49907189_250607612501855_946472275939920776_n.jpg

I believe he is using the new Kiesel active pickups, the Polarity I think.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
Fishman Moderns didn't exist back in 2012 when Eclipse came out.

At the time of Eclipse, Marc was still mainly using his red Jackson Custom Shop Soloist with EMGs.
Pictured below.
17149180275_516191c923_b.jpg

He might've used his Ibanez RGD2120z or early Ibanez RG920QM (since he was in a promotional ad shot right when the Premium line was first started), but I'm pretty certain that he quit using Ibanez guitars after the [id] album and tour cycle and began focusing primarily on Jackson since I recall him playing a few other Jackson guitars live (what looks like a lower-tier cherry sunburst Soloist import model in addition to a black Soloist import model).

Ibanez RG2120z
Marc-Okubo-By-Ivan-Chopik.jpg

Ibanez RG920QM
maxresdefault.jpg

Cherry Sunburst Soloist
14868532141_2e093c3296_b.jpg

Black Soloist
c9139149217ff6db0f45eb5e4011042a.jpg

There also is a really old one-off playthrough of "Vicious Circles" from the Eclipse album on YouTube where Marc was playing a Washburn WM526, but I'm not sure how long he had the guitar or if it was even his. (Remember that Michael Keene produced The Common Man's Collapse, and Keene was the poster-boy for the WM526 model for the longest time.)
maxresdefault.jpg

Marc also had two TSmith guitars around the time of Eclipse, but he ditched those pretty quick due to issues with the construction and quality of both builds not withstanding the rigors of touring. A guy whom I know (strictly from online interaction) actually bought the TSmith that Marc used in the Guitar Messenger videos from years ago. The guy confirmed the issues.

The commonality between all of the guitars? EMG pickups. Marc has been an EMG player all the way up until False Idol.

bmth4111

Reaction score
Oh that's cool I did not keisel made their own active pickups.

Didn't realize how long ago that Eclipse album came out hahaha.
But yeah those washburns are really cool.
Now if I could just figure out what amp model he uses on his axe fx or what his its effects chain looks like.

bmth4111

Reaction score
dc700x-pspb-ash-7inr-thnn-stjf-ill-ik-efb-5mm-ucs-ucp-dsls-129669_gallery.jpg
also here's my personal favorite Kiesel guitar of his. I love the clean look and the painted fishman. Reminds me a lot of the kxk 8 string posted on this forum long time ago.

I wonder which Fishman pickup cover they used to paint over? Also what voice is used.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
View attachment 66952 also here's my personal favorite Kiesel guitar of his. I love the clean look and the painted fishman. Reminds me a lot of the kxk 8 string posted on this forum long time ago.

I wonder which Fishman pickup cover they used to paint over? Also what voice is used.

...Shit, I actually really love that.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
View attachment 66952 also here's my personal favorite Kiesel guitar of his. I love the clean look and the painted fishman. Reminds me a lot of the kxk 8 string posted on this forum long time ago.

it's just moderns, prob the black plastic version. They've done that color shift on a zeus bass body/pickups as well, it looks sickkk.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BsBO_83nqs7/

Latest posts