Maxon od808 or TS9??

• Thread starter Jake
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BeyondAntares

Reaction score
I'm in a similar situation at the moment.

I'm trying to find a store in Sydney that holds all all of the following.

Xotic BB Preamp
BBE Green Screamer
MAXON OD808 / OD9
MXR GT-OD M193

I really have to try them out before buying one. Not being stingy - I made the mistake with buying two wah pedals (crybaby 535Q and Morley Bad Horsie 2) which I barely use. Should've just stuck with one.

Hybrid138

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a boost for my Roadster. I'm thinking the maxon od808?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Quitty

Hates 'mojo'
Reaction score
I'll be counter-productive this once, and say neither -
i recently had a go at both, and while they both sounded good, the PiggyFX Honeydrive blows 'em out of the water.
It's more transparent, tighter sounding and far, far more flexible (bass and treble knobs).

xtrustisyoursx

Reaction score
Od808, it's identical to the original ts808's and works better as a clean boost too

Here the OD808 is actually cheaper than the TS9, I think it's the other way round in the states, but go Maxon every time.

Not quite true. For some reason, Maxon does their naming backwards. The OD-808 is the same as the original Ibanez TS-9, and the Maxon OD9 is the same as the original Ibanez TS-808

Andii

Reaction score
Western NC in a secret lair high on the mountain
Not quite true. For some reason, Maxon does their naming backwards. The OD-808 is the same as the original Ibanez TS-9, and the Maxon OD9 is the same as the original Ibanez TS-808
fpfpfpfpffffffff output resistors.

I will say that the OD808 sounds about 10 times better next to my reissue TS9. I have no idea why and no time to look into it, but it's completely different. It has more output and it's way clearer.

h1mera

Reaction score

I had both Maxon OD808 and Ibanez TS9 and they sound differently. OD808 is a really great clean booster, TS9 has more gain and hi-freq response. I'd say TS9 works better as an individual effect (OD) pedal, and OD808 works great as a booster (but it's kinda subjective, though). I still own Maxon for that reason.

atticmike

Reaction score
the od 808 is with its clarity and transparency probably the best od pedal if you want to touch your amp's sound the least possible.

Also, the od tone of the pedal, if being used, is some of the most balanced out on the market.

Can't go wrong with an 808.

The TS9 is a little more aggressive, similar to the zakk wylde pedal.

Snewgle

Reaction score
I've recently started digging into this aswell, and after finding the easy mod guide to getting a TS7 to a T808, I picked up one from a local music store for 60$ to try at home. I've yet to try an OD808 though, which one do you think would work best with a Boss Ns-2 to get me that tight but heavy djent tone? :cool:

wakjob

Reaction score
I've modded the crap out of half a dozen TS or clones. They are all playing the same sport, just a different game.

There's TON's of comparison vids on YT.

For my money the BB preamp is the winner.

And I have a SparkleDrive, Maxon OD808, Sonic Glory, & a TS7 on hand at the moment.

OfArtAndArsenal

Reaction score
The Custom Audio Electronics line driver is a really good, really transparent clean boost. I never had a chance to use it in front of a good high-gain amp, but it could be worth a shot. I got mine on amazon pretty.inexpensively.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
thanks everyone yeah im gonna just go with the maxon if i find one but if not i will go with a ts9 but im not sure yet i guess still looking for a 6505/5150 at the moment first haha

yeah you shouldn't be disappointed with the TS9 if you end up with it.

I picked up a Delta Labs Tube Driver the other day for $25 at GC on clearance (demo model). Beats the TS9 in every aspect, including tone, footprint, and looks

MikeSweeney

Reaction score
visual sound route 808 its most likely the cheaper one but the hardest pushing one to

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
I've been wondering about those pedals. They're just so inexpensive I've always written them off. You say its good eh?

Yeah, i was surprised, the delay sounds cheap - it's noisy, but works.

The chorus sounds pretty nice but breaks up the cleans a little with humbuckers - not as bad as a mind bender or something but it's slightly noticeable. I still like it better than my boss super chorus for cleans. The boss is better for distortion chorus. Edit- if you run the chorus in stereo, one channel shuts off when you turn off chorus, which sucks.

The OD (Tube driver), on the other hand, is just a great pedal. It's my main OD now.