Maxon od808 or TS9??

• Thread starter Jake
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Atomshipped

Reaction score
My TS9 does everything I could possibly want it to perfectly well it's a great pedal. I haven't tried the OD808 but it seems like a matter of taste. There's no "better"; only different.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rock4ever

Reaction score
I must be the only guy that doesn't care for the OD808. Last time I tried I had a hard time getting it to clean up. Next time I mess with it i'll mess with the gtr's volume control and see how far I gotta turn that down.

I also have a TS9DX(Ibby) and a Maxon VOP 9. Love those pedals.

JoshuaKaroshi

Karoshi
Reaction score
I ran a TS9 into my 6505 and it was unreal. You'll be happy with getting either the TS of the Maxon. Basically the same circuit boards. Also don't pitch your maximizer. It makes the 6505's sound a lot better/clearer if you run it through the FX loop.

Seanthesheep

Reaction score
back when I was running a 6534+, I had an Ibanez TS-9. my friend had a maxon OD-9. we barely could tell the difference in an A/B test. I think new, the maxon OD-9 is atleast 50$ more. never tried the OD808 but Im not sure its worth the 200+$ they go for here.

DanakinSkywalker

Reaction score
I am running my 6505+ with a SD-1. Could you guys say that both the TS9 or OD808 are better than the Boss SD-1? Not trying to hijack the thread at all, just wondering and didn't want to create a whole new one for it.

Shask

Reaction score
I am running my 6505+ with a SD-1. Could you guys say that both the TS9 or OD808 are better than the Boss SD-1? Not trying to hijack the thread at all, just wondering and didn't want to create a whole new one for it.
The SD-1 is crunchier/brighter/tighter than the TS9/OD808. I actually grew up with the SD-1 for years, so many times I still prefer it. It is not a bad pedal at all.

The TS9/OD808 is smoother with a mid-mid frequency emphasis, and the SD-1 is crunchy (not as smooth) with a hi-mid frequency emphasis.

I like having both :D

DanakinSkywalker

Reaction score
The SD-1 is crunchier/brighter/tighter than the TS9/OD808. I actually grew up with the SD-1 for years, so many times I still prefer it. It is not a bad pedal at all.

The TS9/OD808 is smoother with a mid-mid frequency emphasis, and the SD-1 is crunchy (not as smooth) with a hi-mid frequency emphasis.

I like having both :D
Thank you dude, much appreciated. I guess it comes down to personal preference.

Masc0t

Reaction score
I found a TS7 brand new for about $25 when I had my 5150 and I never thought twice about it. That being said you absolutely can't go wrong with the OD808.

Jake

GAS Master
Reaction score
whoa holy thread from my past :lol: I see this was bumped.

If anyone is wondering I still have the ts-9 and it's still fantastic with my peavey 5150ii, granted my pedalboard has grown a little lately but still its my only overdrive.

I prefer the ts-9 over the SD-1 but the SD is not bad by any means :D

Masc0t

Reaction score
Oh dear, didn't even notice how old this was. Hopefully this is useful to peoples' reference because its a pretty common thread :lol:

Jake

GAS Master
Reaction score
Oh dear, didn't even notice how old this was. Hopefully this is useful to peoples' reference because its a pretty common thread :lol:
Yeah this was like my first post here :lol::lol::lol:

Hopefully it can help people though :yesway:

T-e-r-r-y

Reaction score
I have 3, the TS9, the Boss SD-1 and the Digitech Bad Monkey. I actually kinda dig the Digitech the most, at least for boosting a high gain amp.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
9-series Maxons are great for goosing hgh gainers.
od9pro+ and vop9 are my favorites.
Nothing wrong with those 808s either.

DarkWolfXV

Excised n anatomised
Reaction score
Whoever said Maxon OD-808 is same as TS-808, no, no they are not, Maxon OD-808 is TS-10 circuit, and its not same as TS-808. However there is no big difference between TS-9 and TS-808, they are basically same except one or two resistors at the output.