Mustaine left Dean and went to Gibson/Epiphone/Kramer

• Thread starter Bdtunn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
MAB mentioned having issue with the current mgmt team at Dean, multiple times.

I'm sure it was a bit of a rude awakening going from Dean Z, who ran the company into the ground multiple times, to Armadillo, who seems to like running it like a guitar company.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
I've been kind of out of the loop with who's endorsing what these days. The exodus of players from Dean screams that their management isn't giving out the cushiest of deals anymore like when they were giving all the endorsees tons of free stuff.

I can see Mustaine going to Gibson/Kramer but having a personal brand that's a subsidiary and only makes his own signature model.

Can't see him going back to Jackson, as he's probably still mad that FMIC ended up buying it. However, stranger things have happened.

SDMFVan

Reaction score
This is from some sort of livestream or something that Cesar from Gibson did recently. Look at the guitar all the way to the right...

Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 1.24.16 PM.png

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You know what is funny about this?

Chris Canella is the product manager/ artist relations guy at Dean. Chris was at Jackson and since he left, Jackson got a bunch of artists and their product line up has gotten much better. Then he went to ESP and ESP had a few artists leave and as I remember their product lineup for a while is not the best, ok but it could have been better, then he left ESP and now ESP is gaining artists and since he left, ESP's product line up has been killing it. And now he is at Dean and artists are leaving, big Dean artists too....

I have a feeling Chris Canella is the common theme here. It could just be a hunch but this is what I notice.

I got on fine with Chris when he was at Jackson, and a lot of the Jackson crew jumped ship with him and went to ESP (including Mille :( ). So probably not.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
I think people are ruling out Jackson for the wrong reasons. Dave seems to hold a lot fewer grudges these days and has chilled out on basically everything considerably. There's also a quote from him around the time of the Broderick Ibanez/Jackson kerfuffle saying he was pushing Chris to move to a more serious brand like "Jackson or Dean".

Not that I'm expecting it to be Jackson, but I don't think I'd rule out a return. He did that Metallica reunion a few years ago, after all.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think people are ruling out Jackson for the wrong reasons. Dave seems to hold a lot fewer grudges these days and has chilled out on basically everything considerably. There's also a quote from him around the time of the Broderick Ibanez/Jackson kerfuffle saying he was pushing Chris to move to a more serious brand like "Jackson or Dean".

Not that I'm expecting it to be Jackson, but I don't think I'd rule out a return. He did that Metallica reunion a few years ago, after all.

I'm not sure FMIC would play ball with what he wants, but it's possible. :scratch:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've been kind of out of the loop with who's endorsing what these days. The exodus of players from Dean screams that their management isn't giving out the cushiest of deals anymore like when they were giving all the endorsees tons of free stuff.

I can see Mustaine going to Gibson/Kramer but having a personal brand that's a subsidiary and only makes his own signature model.

Can't see him going back to Jackson, as he's probably still mad that FMIC ended up buying it. However, stranger things have happened.

I thought it was pretty much an open secret that MegaDave has wanted back at Jackson for some time, they just haven't been willing to give in to what I'm sure are absolutely bonkers demands. :lol:

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
I mean, idrgaf about Megadeath, Mustaine, or Jackson really. However, he just doesn't look right without a real Jackson KV in his hands. That is his natural state. Things will never be right until he returns to his natural state.

manu80

Reaction score
whatever. Buy a KV2, put SH2/SH4, you're set ;)
Can't we start seeing some 2021 stuff already ? jackson dean gibson epiphone ? where are you ?

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Speaking of Dean, anyone follow Dean Zelinsky guitars on Instagram? They are throwing out some cool looking stuff in recent years. But I don’t know the history behind the people & brands.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Can't we start seeing some 2021 stuff already ? jackson dean gibson epiphone ? where are you ?

If ESP’s email saying “more to come in mid January” is anything to go by I’d bet many brands are waiting to leak/drop news right as Digi-NAMM is winding up.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Speaking of Dean, anyone follow Dean Zelinsky guitars on Instagram? They are throwing out some cool looking stuff in recent years. But I don’t know the history behind the people & brands.

You mean those goofy textured necks? He's been trying it since the DBZ days.

I think everything is made in China now, and then assembled stateside.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Buy a KV2 and pay someone to remove the Floyd because Jackson don't offer that as an option, then put in SH2/SH4, and you're set.

TheBolivianSniper

Reaction score
As the resident BC Rich fanboy I would love to see Dave sign with them. I know they've been having distribution problems but their shit is selling insanely fast and with their Indonesian line coming out and the Japan line soon to be announced I think he could make some serious bank out there. They need artists rn since I don't think Chris Kael is gonna be selling basses. A legacy Bich with Dave's name on it would probably make so much money they couldn't keep up with production.

I can also for sure see Gibson. They wouldn't put it under Kramer I don't think, the Gibson name has been so profitable this year alone from all I've been seeing and I could totally see a relic V selling insanely well too. He's been carrying Dean for so long and is such a big name it could be almost an Adam Jones situation, which Gibson has been pushing hard this year. Between the Tony Iommi, Jimi Hendrix, and Adam Jones stuff they've been allegedly cashing in to pay off their debt from their sub companies.