New Dream Theater song - The Gift of Music

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bigswifty

Reaction score
I CAN HEAR JOHN MYUNG!!

:metal:

This made me pretty excited for their next album. I like the mix, reminds me of their older stuff. Also by this point I'd think it's safe to say that the band is completely comfortable with the addition of Mangini, so hopefully that shows :agreed:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rokket2005

Reaction score
Song was kinda meh for me. I really don't like Mangini, as much as Portnoy did some awful vocals and the like, his drumming didn't seem to get in the way of the song the way that Mangini's drumming does.

What really bothers me most though is how much that floating orb looks like Registeel.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
The only thing I've heard that I don't like about Mangini so far is that I REALLY don't like the sound of his toms.

A-Branger

Reaction score
The drums don't need to be "SuperHighMetalSmashing"

exactly my point, the drums (on kick drums my main rant) is that they mix it with way too much slap into it... too :metal:metaaaaaaaal stereotype where its all about the *plack plack plack* tone, instead of something that sounds lower than a floor tom

it started fine at the beginning of the song, but later on when everyone is playing together the bass tone disappear and the only thing laft was the high picht *plack* sound of the kick, and combine that with double kick in a fast pace and :nono:

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don't like having to read a dictionary AND the lyrics simultaneously? :noplease: :lol:

A lot of modern prog lyrics remind me of that guy from Friends who spent 10 years in Russia researching something, finally making his breakthrough realization that it can't be done, so he moved back home again :lol: Meaning, lots of big words to keep you really trying to figure out what the hell the song is about until finally realizing it was all a big decoy to distract you from the fact that the band have absolutely nothing to say, they just want to play solos and fast unison lines.

In that case I prefer LaBrie's way of replacing most the words with whale. When he ends with "thaaaat is the dance of eternityyyyy" all epic-like I still have no idea what was the dance of eternity, all I know is it had something to do with whales. Several whales.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
I like it, but holy hell, the drums stick out like a sore thumb to me. Sounds like when you put every single velocity in Superior Drummer to 127 for it to sound "punchy".

Petrucci is still doing his thing though, I'm convinced that that man can do no wrong :agreed:

Captain Butterscotch

Reaction score
Wow, I liked this one song more than their last two records combined! :lol: Maybe Mangini is actually just incredibly accurate and consistent and that's how he actually plays in a studio setting? Dunno, but I'd not be sad if they used a different engineer besides Richard Chycki.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
Wow, I liked this one song more than their last two records combined! :lol: Maybe Mangini is actually just incredibly accurate and consistent and that's how he actually plays in a studio setting? Dunno, but I'd not be sad if they used a different engineer besides Richard Chycki.
Who did they use on A Dramatic Turn of Events? I like the mix on that album, the drums and bass are way lower, but listening to that album after listening to the self-titled album makes you realize how incredibly muffled ADToE is. Sounds like they left a low pass filter on the master channel.

thedonal

Reaction score
Could be a rough mix and a heavy song edit for this promo article.... Just a thought..

A-Branger

Reaction score
Could be a rough mix and a heavy song edit for this promo article.... Just a thought..

maybe they are using it as a marketing research :nuts:

like the 5 of them are here (and other forums) reading all the comments taking notes like "lol look at this guy...... wrooooong!.... hey! I did play it good.... this guy is a prick..... hey, look at this comment!, this guy IS WRIGHT.... STOP THE PRESS!!!!... off to the mixing room again!!!!...":lol:

Fathand

Tube Snake Boogie
Reaction score
Came in with no expectations because DT has always been in the most horrid category for me - I get absolutely nothing out of it and I've always been a bit irritated by LaBrie's sound/tone.

...but this was a positive surprise, I kinda liked it.

TheTrooper

Reaction score
it started fine at the beginning of the song, but later on when everyone is playing together the bass tone disappear and the only thing laft was the high picht *plack* sound of the kick, and combine that with double kick in a fast pace and :nono:

Actually You're right, I didn't notice that.
The bass is very present at the beginning parts, or were is less action from everybody, but gets pretty drowned when Mike starts to pound on the drums :squint:
This songs really reminds me of the beautiful Surrounded, which is one of my all time favorite; I would've preferred if they did like on the Solo section of Surrounded, when all the Delay action is happening: the drums are really kickin' but they're not overbearing the other stuff.
Still, I don't hear any sort of "Autotune Glitch" and we are talking of 5 of the best musicians on the planet plus the great Richard Chyki, and the guy KNOWS about production. ( Rush, anybody? :) )

Most of the guys in the web that are going "Oh look, Autotune Glitch!1111!!!" are saying that not because they heard something, but because some smart guy put "Hear at minute 1:22 a glitch!11!1"

I mean, it's a song.
Sure you could analyze every aspect, piece by piece, but what the heck, it's like a Cake.
Do you eat the cake by "deconstructing" it, reverting the Eggs to their previous form, or revert the flour into wheat or Chocolate into Cocoa? :nuts:
NO WAY.

Just listen to the freakin' song! :wallbash:

Hahah

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Kinda wonder if anyone tabbed this or put a playthrough up already. DT fans seems pretty quick about that.

Captain Butterscotch

Reaction score
Who did they use on A Dramatic Turn of Events? I like the mix on that album, the drums and bass are way lower, but listening to that album after listening to the self-titled album makes you realize how incredibly muffled ADToE is. Sounds like they left a low pass filter on the master channel.

Wikipedia says Andy Wallace mixed it. The listening experience of the last two albums consisted of me cringing and going, "Why the minty fresh f4ck does this snare sound like this?"

InFlames235

Reaction score
The drums at least sound better on this album than the last two albums. I will say, the one thing I miss about Portnoy is how good his drums sounded on the albums. Mangini's drums just don't sound the same.

Anyways, I love the new song. My favorite part is the part where they have the choir come in. Sounds so epic. Also, lol at the 1:22 auto-tune screw up. How does that even make it all the way through mixing/mastering into the official album?

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Got better as it went on. Lyrics about music sounded terrible, DT's lyrics are always terrible so that's OK. The verse bit at the start was a bit simple. A real example of a time where they could have got LaBrie in earlier and really honed it to make it more interesting and have a better fit between vocal and guitar. LaBrie continues to be hilarious, so that's great news.

mgh

Betwixt and Between
Reaction score
Only listened on my phone so not really ideal but the whole drum sound and drum playing is pretty bad. I agree the snare is mixed way too loud. Kick too clicky. However this is on a one inch no bass speaker lol.
Song itself is a bit meh but let's hear it in context with the album. Great solo though