New Mesa Boogie Mark amp?

• Thread starter LCW
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shorts_Mike

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Let us know how it goes. I would love to hear comparisons with the Mark V:90. Honestly, it looks like a Mark V and sounds kind of like a Mark V to me; just using different EQ settings. Very odd that they didn't utilize any deep V-shaped settings for the higher gain stuff on the 5-band eq and made no mention of the Mark V on either clean, fat, crunch, iic+ or mkiv settings. Gonna have to read through that manual when they release it. Vii mode seems kind of cool, but I don't know if it sounds "modern high gain" based on this demo (atleast in comparison to say Extreme mode) or very "recto". Biggest factor for me would be how Mark IV mode sounds between the Mark V and VII.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Asiimov

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ask your Sweetwater sales to price match Guitar Center. They seem to have released it cheaper than everywhere else.

Dang, that's $300 less. Wonder if that's some kind of error. Also listed at those prices on their sister site, Musicians Friend.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
Dang, that's $300 less. Wonder if that's some kind of error. Also listed at those prices on their sister site, Musicians Friend.

Gibson has better pricing with GC and MF in my experience. They also do financing with GC but barely anything with Sweetwater.

But…im assuming this is a mistake. lol

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Maybe this is an inflection point. Tube amps are now for the old and the young get digital reproductions.
FTFY, lol. But seriously, I can’t help but think it’s just an aging demo that is allowing the prices to move up so much. Mesa isn't really a “boutique” brand, but the prices aren’t something that the average young musician can afford. And, it looks like none of the tones are forward looking or modern.

I think the only one I liked was the IV (naturally, cuz I love the IV lead tone) and a bit of the 2C+ (but I’ve never been as big a fan of that as the IV).

I was bummed the VII wasn’t a super gainy model.

I guess I should keep looking for a IV, since that’s really what I want.

It’s also possible I’ll like it better when Ola or Fluff demo it, and dial it in more for metal than hard rock. Maybe the VII mode will work well in that context?

(Edited cuz I listened to the video.)

Last edited:

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
FTFY, lol. But seriously, I can’t help but think it’s just an aging demo that is allowing the prices to move up so much. Mesa isn't really a “boutique” brand, but the prices aren’t something that the average young musician can afford. And, it looks like none of the tones are forward looking or modern.

I think the only one I liked was the IV (naturally, cuz I love the IV lead tone) and a bit of the 2C+ (but I’ve never been as big a fan of that as the IV).

I was bummed the VII wasn’t a super gainy model.

I guess I should keep looking for a IV, since that’s really what I want.

It’s also possible I’ll like it better when Ola or Fluff demo it, and dial it in more for metal than hard rock. Maybe the VII mode will work well in that context?

(Edited cuz I listened to the video.)

Hmmm looks like there is still a lot of gain to be had on the vii mode considering where the gain and and treble was set on that video.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Hmmm looks like there is still a lot of gain to be had on the vii mode considering where the gain and and treble was set on that video.
Ah, good catch, I didn’t look at the settings. Well, tomorrow’s the day, so I’m sure I’ll see a bunch of gainy demos.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
That demo was informative, but put me to sleep. First impression is that I'm not impressed, but the Marks only impress me at the cabinet IRL anyways.

I need metal rhythm and lead demo, no OD and no reverb. Just some chunky fuck-you riffs and arpeggios. Then I can go back to drooling for a JP2C+.

protest

Reaction score
IIC mode sounded terrible to me. Why is the GEQ set like that?

That's how I would set it on the V due to how bright it was, but I would scoop the 750 more. I would actually go lower on the 6600 depending on the guitar and if it was in Pentode vs Triode.

Jon Pearson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah, you gotta figure all the demos so far have not been particularly well targeted towards our crowd :lol:

Mesa's demos are pretty much always a disappointment except in rare instance, and other than Lark guitars I didn't see any demo that even flirted with a metal sound. If I've learned anything, it's that buying any amp for chugga is kind of a gamble: even if good demos exist, there is a chance there is fuckery going on at the hands of the reviewer to get there.

Ultimately with this amp, I'm banking on liking every Mark I've ever played, and the fact that it has a feature set I want with more variety across the channels than the JP2C. If I end up hating it, I'm sure I can make a fair bit of the money back, but so far none of the demos have sounded bad at all to me, just not especially targeted to this audience.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are you guys telling me that the new flagship Mesa Boogie amp is expensive? Like for real? You mean they didn't lower the price significantly for absolutely no reason and kept the tradition of raising prices relative to market and features like they've been doing for over five fucking decades? This is ridiculous. This is amazing.

SSO gonna SSO. :lol:

Musiscience

Reaction score
My only question: who asked for channel cloning and MarkIIB to the cost of tweed/edge/Mark1/extreme? Just a revision of the V with MIDI and a bigger transfo would have been more welcome IMO.

Mark VIII will probably be 3 channels with clean, fat and MarkIIA so you can have 3 clean channels if you want, all MIDI switchable!