Online Wood Suppliers

• Thread starter Rusti
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Bought some black limba and a ziricote fretboard from Oregon Wildwood recently. The wood is great and the prices were fair, but has anyone noticed that the communication from them is really lacking? I emailed them about a question before I ordered and they never got back to me, and when I did place the order they didn't really send me any tracking info or anything, just an invoice. They also calculated the shipping wrong and I had to pay more than I expected. Just curious if anyone else had a similar experience. :scratch:

Regardless, the wood is great and the prices on the site ate pretty damn good so I'll use them again most likely.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Connor

Guy
Reaction score
Here's some that I've found in the past while searching for some decent suppliers, tried to cross reference with the thread, sorry if I've repeated.

Exotic Lutherie Woods | Fine exotic woods for builders of musical instruments (rosewood, macassar ebony and ziricote)
Home (nice redwood)
Hibdon Hardwood, Inc. (sweet cocobolo)
Bow River Specialty Woods | Quality Curly, Quilted, Spalted Maple Guitar Tonewood (real nice spalted/burl maple and walnut tops at times)

However I can't vouch for their customer service/delivery as it's always been too expensive or not realistic to ship to Australia. The only US supplier I've used (A flamed maple that was too hard to resist) has been Northridge and they were great.

fenderbender4

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a place that has pernambuco in the size for a guitar neck? Next to impossible, but hoping for a 2" X 4.5" X 30"

Necromagnon

Reaction score
Does some of you know good EU veneer supplier of quilted maple? It seems nearly impossible to find. Design Holz has nice ones but they're not uniform enough in term of colour (white to yellow, not what I'd like for a stain), and I can't find good ones. Only DavidDyke.co.uk seem to have some stuff listed (but no pics :/ ) for a fair price.

sehnomatic

Reaction score
I accidentally ran into the only place in, for all I know, in Canada to get the "curly" or European ivoroid binding. They also have a VERY good selection of wood, albeit a bit more expensive per board foot. They also had some black limba.

Under Musical Instruments > Guitar Family > Bindings/Purfling

A & M Wood Specialty

Nldhi84.jpg

Top: What everybody in europe seems to be using
Bottom: What everybody in north america seems to be using.

I've hoarded several pieces for future use, if anybody in the GTA really needs some Ivoroid, I may be able to supply.

michblanch

Reaction score

Eliguy666

Holy shit I've been inactive for awhile
Reaction score
Does anyone know a good supplier of ringed gidgee? It's pretty much a more figured macassar ebony in terms of properties, gorgeous and incredibly dense and hard.
1e2f290182c6fd3576f09e152a7041c6.jpg

Necromagnon

Reaction score
Not sure you'll find some piece for guitars easily:
About the Timber

And I think, seeing how rare it sounds to be, that the price will match... Why specifically this wood? you can have same results with koa, some nice piece of rosewood, or maybe even walnut may have similar looks with a good amberish finish.

Eliguy666

Holy shit I've been inactive for awhile
Reaction score
Asking because it's very hard and dense, and I find koa's colors a bit gross. Walnut's a good alternative, but still not quite as tightly flamed most often. I'd say tasmanian blackwood is both the closest relative and best replica.

Latest posts