Opeth gear

Witcheschair

Reaction score
What gear did the guitarist of opeth use to record the watershed album?
I know what gear the use previous but did they change equipment at all?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Pretty sure a Laney VH100R or GH100L (same drive channel) was used. Mikhael used several PRS Custom 24's and I BELIEVE Fredrik used several PRS Singlecuts.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
I remember him mentioning Marshalls, JCM800 i believe in an interview for some stuff. He said he was really going for the old school tones.

Edit, nevermind, you said watershed....for Heritage, the marshalls

MobiusR

Thall, that is all
Reaction score
i don't remember clearly but live they use the Laney's (as mentioned above) as power amps with a Boss GT10 for distortion/cleans/etc.

Witcheschair

Reaction score
thanks, because I just saw them live in vancouver a week or so ago and there tone was the best I have heard them live. Was wondering if they had switched in the last few years. Because they have been playing the same gear for what looks like 6 years

Wookieslayer

OOOAAARWWWRR
Reaction score
From the producer, Jens Bogren, himself:

Ultimate Metal Forum - View Single Post - JENS BOGREN - my new hero

On Watershed i used the Marshall JVM together with the Mesa cab for the main rhythms. The secondary pair is Mesa Dual Rectifier through the MF400. SM57 and Royer on the main pair, 2x SM57 and one SM58 on the secondary pair (if my memory serves me).

This thread is a very cool read btw,
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/andy-sneap/429348-jens-bogren-my-new-hero-2.html

Live they were using Laneys, and probably Boss GT-8 or GT-10 for distortion.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
mastodon/opeth tonight for me - I'll see if I can get a look

Pretty sure you're going to see Fredrik using a JVM410, Mikael using a Marshall Vintage Modern, and a couple of Axe-FX's. :D

On Watershed i used the Marshall JVM together with the Mesa cab for the main rhythms. The secondary pair is Mesa Dual Rectifier through the MF400. SM57 and Royer on the main pair, 2x SM57 and one SM58 on the secondary pair (if my memory serves me).

Huh, thats surprising... I always thought that Laneys were the main studio amps. :scratch:

BabUShka

Reaction score
I bought my JVM because of Opeth, and it sure suits their music. Love this amp!
I'll try to look closely on their gear when I'm seeing them im 4 weeks from now :D

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
thanks, because I just saw them live in vancouver a week or so ago and there tone was the best I have heard them live. Was wondering if they had switched in the last few years. Because they have been playing the same gear for what looks like 6 years

Yeah i'm pretty sure live Akerfelt uses the Boss GT for most of his tones, whereas Akesson uses the amp + tons of pedals. He went from Blackstar to Marshall recently.

Michael went to Axe FX now? Wonder if he is using amp models or just effects.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Yeah i'm pretty sure live Akerfelt use the Boss GT for most of his tones, whereas Akesson uses the amp + tons of pedals. He went from Blackstar to Marshall recently.

I think they both switched to Axe FX's back in 2010. I'm pretty sure Mikael uses the Axe for the amp sims and Fredrik uses the effects.

ShredCrab

Reaction score
Not sure whether they're using AxeFx's along with an amp but they are definitely using Marshalls. Frederick with JVM and Mikael with Vintage Modern, thats what Marshall stated a couple of months back at least.

linqua

Reaction score
in the studio they use the laney gh100l mostly. sometimes for certain things theyll use fender or lionheart. they only use the boss gt10 for live sounds. they use pretty much stock prs custom 24. he has his signature but the main difference is the woods used, the pickups are the standard vintage jazz and im not sure about the bridge actually. fredrik used to use marshall jvm, but now he uses blackstar series one which also was on watershed.

AliceLG

\m/^_^\m/
Reaction score
Last rig rundown I saw, about 3 months ago and for the current tour:

Mikael - Vintage Modern + AxeFx
Fredrik - Series One 100 + a couple of pedals including an HT-DRIVE, a RotoVibe, a Volume, an expression pedal for a delay (can't remember which one though) and GCP + GCX

It might well be that Fredrik switched to the AxeFx, but I think he's still on the Blackstars

7slinger

wake up dead
Contributor
Reaction score
so what I saw last night as they were moving gear off the stage (after Opeth didn't play :noway:) was a rack with 2 marshall heads in it and 2 axefx in it. couldn't see what was on the pedalboards

Latest posts