Tang

Master of Chihuahuas
Reaction score
more recent stuff:

16783697890_7fbe466aac_b.jpg

16943253565_7831eb6397_b.jpg

16932881015_da86be86df_b.jpg

16796689678_66763ae8b0_b.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spilla

Reaction score
Focus looks a little off (or it is buried deep on the stamen), that shot could really use more DOF and a square crop. I'd try pushing the yellows to be a touch warmer and the greens a bit cooler.

Thanks for the feedback Phil, im going to need a lot of that with my posts. Any tips, hints or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Tried again. I would have preferred all of the petals to be in focus. I raised the aperture to around f5 for this shot. Thought that would have given the DOP i wanted. Guess ill have to try a few different settings tomorrow and see what works best.

DSC_0083%20copy_zpsdxfjcdgk.jpg

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience/samples of using a Zeiss 21mm Distagon T (Canon-mount, if possible)? I've only found slim pickings through the magic of Google. The want is strong, but more info is always good.

I was going to make a thread for this but enough people come through here that it might work. PM me any replies so I don't clutter it up.

It's not clutter and I can't be bothered to PM sorry haha.

I have a bit of experience with it. Borrowed one briefly when I was considering one and went 18mm instead. The 18 is better for distortion and vignetting I believe, is cheaper, arguably sharper at the edges, and obviously wider which I loved.

Frankly all the Zeiss ZE (and ZF.2) lenses are fantastic, unmatched build quality in this world of plastic lenses, and have either outrageous IQ or a fantastic 'look' at the expense of IQ. It's manual only but you'll get used to that fast, and if you decide to look into the 18, you'll find you not only don't have to focus (put it on f8, set and forget), but you also have a compact lens you can easily take everywhere.

If I ever go back to an SLR, it'll be all Zeiss glass for me.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
It's not clutter and I can't be bothered to PM sorry haha.

I have a bit of experience with it. Borrowed one briefly when I was considering one and went 18mm instead. The 18 is better for distortion and vignetting I believe, is cheaper, arguably sharper at the edges, and obviously wider which I loved.

Frankly all the Zeiss ZE (and ZF.2) lenses are fantastic, unmatched build quality in this world of plastic lenses, and have either outrageous IQ or a fantastic 'look' at the expense of IQ. It's manual only but you'll get used to that fast, and if you decide to look into the 18, you'll find you not only don't have to focus (put it on f8, set and forget), but you also have a compact lens you can easily take everywhere.

If I ever go back to an SLR, it'll be all Zeiss glass for me.

On that note, I think I'm gonna pick up a Samyang/Rokinon for my ultra wide. I've been wanting something wider for landscapes and astro stuff, and to try a super wide perspective when I'm sitting at a table (I spend a lot of time in coffee shops and pubs). If we have enough extra money, I'm gonna grab the 12mm f/2 at B&H when we're in NYC for the honeymoon. I'd love the Fuji 14 2.8, but the Rokinon seems to perform about as well, and it's wider and faster. I'd love AF, but at that wide and with the MF options for the X-T1, that won't matter. I don't shoot MF a whole lot as is, but I shoot it way more than I would have guessed.

On an unrelated note, I got a cheap soft box off eBay and it showed up the other day. It sucks because the stand mounts through the box, so you can't angle it. Wish I'd thought of that before, but it was so cheap that I'm not too worried.

I shot this in my living room, with the soft box and the FD 50 1.8, around f2.2 I believe. I'd metered for the box being farther away and Dawn moved closer, so this is with the highlights pulled about -80 or so. Fuji's highlight recovery is crazy.

Dawn by philbabbey, on Flickr

Tang

Master of Chihuahuas
Reaction score
The only thing with Rokinon is the sample variance isn't great. Hope you get a good copy, Phil.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
I just posted my RG for sale because I never play it. If it sells, I'm gonna get a Pentax 645, probably the 55 2.8, and some B&W film and a developing kit. :yesway:

I really like the medium format look and think I want to give it a shot. I like shooting film, so I've been meaning to get the developing stuff anyway. I'm gonna order film with my developing stuff to qualify for free shipping from B&H, so I'm gonna wait a bit and see if I get the camera. If so, it'll be some 100, 400, and 3200 Ilford 120, and if I don't get the camera, I'll probably order some 100 and 3200 135.

I found out my grandpa has a slide scanner that cost him around a grand, so I'm gonna check it out and find out how good it is/if it'll do 120. Here's hoping.

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
I just posted my RG for sale because I never play it. If it sells, I'm gonna get a Pentax 645, probably the 55 2.8, and some B&W film and a developing kit. :yesway:

I really like the medium format look and think I want to give it a shot. I like shooting film, so I've been meaning to get the developing stuff anyway. I'm gonna order film with my developing stuff to qualify for free shipping from B&H, so I'm gonna wait a bit and see if I get the camera. If so, it'll be some 100, 400, and 3200 Ilford 120, and if I don't get the camera, I'll probably order some 100 and 3200 135.

I found out my grandpa has a slide scanner that cost him around a grand, so I'm gonna check it out and find out how good it is/if it'll do 120. Here's hoping.

Get a Hewes SS reel and a SS tank - it's superior in every way to plastic junk that comes in the kits. HC110B or Rodinal is a good place to start for developer. I use water for a stop bath, the Arista Rapid Fixer, and finish with Photo-Flo.

Tang

Master of Chihuahuas
Reaction score
Back in action with.. street stuff? And a street portrait? Pushing myself, guys. This was the first time I asked a stranger if I could take a portrait and he said yes! I did see him shooting with an Instax so I figure he'd be more amicable to the idea. :)

Also, absolutely wonderful, perfect light this evening. For a good hour.

one spark #2 (who ya gonna call) by nrrfed, on Flickr

one spark #1 by nrrfed, on Flickr

john (one spark portrait #1) by nrrfed, on Flickr

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
Get a Hewes SS reel and a SS tank - it's superior in every way to plastic junk that comes in the kits. HC110B or Rodinal is a good place to start for developer. I use water for a stop bath, the Arista Rapid Fixer, and finish with Photo-Flo.

That's awesome, thanks man. :yesway: I was looking at B&H because of free shipping to Canada and had found mostly Ilford stuff, is that any good?

Also, happy birthday to Whammy. :yesway:

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks man. :yesway: I might stick with that for now, to get a large enough B&H order to get free shipping. If I don't sell that guitar, I'll probably get it and some 35mm for the AE-1. I have a few B&W rolls from last summer I can practice on, and I really want to pick up some super fast film, like 3200.

We went to Windsor today. It was really ....ty outside, but I got a couple photos I liked.

Ambassador Bridge by philbabbey, on Flickr

Detroit by philbabbey, on Flickr

Tang

Master of Chihuahuas
Reaction score
You need to come back to Florida, man! Weather is beautiful. It was around 90F (or.. uh.. 32C?) and partly cloudy. Great day for photography.

Also, I got to play with a Leica M6 today and it was everything I ever hoped a Leica would be. That rangefinder mechanism.. phew boy.