SD Black Winter Worship thread

• Thread starter Blytheryn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dhgrind

Reaction score
If anyone has some single coil neck recommendations to pair with the Black Winter that'd be fantastic.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
I've been wondering about the Black Winter humbucker pickups by Seymour Duncan as well. I wonder why the ESP LTD "Black Metal" guitar series only had a single bridge Black Winter humbucker?

I've looked into the Seymour Duncan website to get a comparison chart of how the other "extreme metal" pickups were (chart-wise) and they almost all seem very similar in specs on paper. I'm guessing it's all marketing. I've considered the Nazgul/Sentient as well but people have told me that the Nazgul/Pegasus is the better of the two.

The Black Winter is only really similar to Duncan's other typical offerings in its DC resistance (same as JB and Distortion). I guess its similar to the Distortion in terms of its 'EQ chart', but those are very simplistic approximations of their EQ curves.

The Black Winter is pretty highly regarded on this forum and I've heard lots of good things about it, especially for extreme and black metal styles.

The BW is most similar to the Distortion but it uses 3 large ceramic magnets instead of 1 large ceramic like the Distortion. The specs on the Duncan website also don't specify the type of wire, gauge, or the symmetry of the wind between the two coils, or the makeup of the ceramic magnet(s) or any mods done to those magnets, etc.

Pickups, because they are fairly simple pieces of technology, vary mostly only by a handful of factors, but these small differences have the potential to make some pretty large differences (although not always).

Pickup preferences are largely subjective; however, I'm sure BW's are more highly regarded by the typical extreme metal player than the Nazgul or Pegasus. Although I've seen a number of people who like the Nazgul for extreme metal as well. The Pegasus is a fairly moderate output humbucker that excels at Progressive styles (in my opinion), but can also do metal stuff through the right amp and with the right settings (like any other pickup).

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Since Black Metal isn't known for the use of 7 stringed guitars (like the nu metal genre is known for), would anyone here not even suggest Black Winter for 7 stringed guitars? I have both a 6 and a 7 string guitar.

You won't know if you'll like something until you try it out yourself, as only you can determine what is the appropriate sound for yourself.

I am not overly familiar with the black metal genre so I'm not sure how often 7's are used, but I'm sure the BW pickups would still be the most 'logical' option for a 7-string pickup.

KailM

Reaction score
Since Black Metal isn't known for the use of 7 stringed guitars (like the nu metal genre is known for), would anyone here not even suggest Black Winter for 7 stringed guitars? I have both a 6 and a 7 string guitar.

It's not, like, limited to black metal man. So yes, I'd recommend it for 7 string guitars too. Assuming the 7-string version is voiced similarly to the 6, there may be better options if you're tuning even lower than B-Standard with your 7.

I've had my 6-string guitars as low as drop B with real heavy strings and the BW is still extremely brutal in that tuning. My Nazgul-equipped guitar is noticeably clearer in B though, because it has a more sculpted low end. Personally, I like the sound of both of them.

If you're doing the drop-G flat sillyness that all the djent kiddies are doing these days, then, no, the Black Winters aren't ideal. They sound far too much like real guitar tone with actual balls and low-end as opposed to the typical Donald Duck voicing popular in that genre.

Also, who says black metal can't be played on a 7? I almost bought one recently but ultimately bought another 6. I do play BM primarily and have done quite a few songs in drop C and C# Standard. I'm planning to do some in B as well. That's well in the range of what one might do with a 7.

AdenM

Illuminaughty
Reaction score
So I've got a PRS SE Singlecut (Mahog, maple cap) with a BW bridge, stock neck, but I'm pretty sure I've shorted the neck pickup - what do you all think a good neck pairing would be? Open to interesting suggestions like humbucker sized P90s, etc.

ToneLab

Bedroom Playa
Reaction score
So I've got a PRS SE Singlecut (Mahog, maple cap) with a BW bridge, stock neck, but I'm pretty sure I've shorted the neck pickup - what do you all think a good neck pairing would be? Open to interesting suggestions like humbucker sized P90s, etc.

The BW neck pup is awesome. That is what I'd put in

AdenM

Illuminaughty
Reaction score
That would be the most straightforward solution! I guess I'll keep an eye out for one. That guitar is kind of my random project/throw interesting things in it piece, so I guess another BW wasn't the first thing I had in mind, lol. Thanks!