Slipknot Megathread- New Slipknot song & video/Firing of Chris Fehn

• Thread starter Triple-J
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Noisy Humbucker

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
After growing tired of Ross Robinson’s production style I thought Rick’s touch on Volume 3 (and the amp changes and everything else) was quite refreshing. It was a whole different kind of raw from ST, not to mention all of the shred wankery that made me see Mick and Jim in a whole new light.

EDIT: And I’ve said it before and will say it again, Prelude 3.0 might be my favorite overall song from them.

Last edited:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
After growing tired of Ross Robinson’s production style I thought Rick’s touch on Volume 3 (and the amp changes and everything else) was quite refreshing. It was a whole different kind of raw from ST, not to mention all of the shred wankery that made me see Mick and Jim in a whole new light.

EDIT: And I’ve said it before and will say it again, Prelude 3.0 might be my favorite overall song from them.

Love him or hate him, Rick Rubin is a hit song machine. :agreed:

I Voyager

Reaction score
Chiming in to say:

A: Slayer rocks. Grow up.
B. Vol. 3 is the best Slipknot record start-to-finish
C. AHIG has some criminally underrated songs. Gematria is one the best songs the band ever wrote but they act like that record didn't exist aside from Psychosocial

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
this thread inspired me to go back and listen to all hope is gone again. It's still a quite heavy album, with pummeling death metal esque riffage like on iowa but a lot more liberal usage of melody/harmonies and space to allow the riffage to breathe.
I'm going to and listen to vol3/iowa/selftitled next since it's been a while since i've listened to all of slipknot's discography back to back

777timesgod

Officially the unofficial Forum Censor
Reaction score
You're right, my bad. Seth Putnam was a loser asshole racist homophobe. My bad.
Edit: who consistently made garbage music FOR incels and edgelords.
I would not necessarily agree with that, as the band AxCx made fun of themselves as well frequently. They wrote songs which made fun of Hitler, I do not think that if they had affiliations with real racist militant groups, they would have done that. Of course he was a drug user who trolled people hard and took nothing seriously, so any opinion about him may or may not be correct.

I loved the story about their recording session with Pig Destroyer guitarist Hull, they got 5000$ from Earache Records, he waste 4500 on drugs and told the band they were only given 500 to go through with it!:lol:

Mprinsje

st. anger ain't bad!
Reaction score
Chiming in to say:

A: Slayer rocks. Grow up.
B. Vol. 3 is the best Slipknot record start-to-finish
C. AHIG has some criminally underrated songs. Gematria is one the best songs the band ever wrote but they act like that record didn't exist aside from Psychosocial

Man the title track from AHIG is killer. One of the heaviest and best tracks they've ever made.

Cynicanal

Reaction score
They wrote songs which made fun of Hitler, I do not think that if they had affiliations with real racist militant groups, they would have done that.
Define "affiliations"; one of Putnam's other bands, Vaginal Jesus, had members of Mudoven (incidentally, if you want to hear AC-level offensive lyrics set to really great music, Vaginal Jesus is what you're looking for).

Edika

Reaction score
I heard the self titled and Iowa when they first came out and always thought they had a few decent brutal songs and after the first half of they record they were just boring. I was mostly into Death/Thrash riff based songs at that time and the slower atmospheric songs just wouldn't register. They felt boring. I started paying attention at Vol.3, they might have had more structured songs and not the chaotic nature the previous two albums had but they were nice heavy songs. Some of them at least. And I liked AHIG a lot more as it had more melodies and harmonies. If it weren't for those two albums I wouldn't have give Iowa and the S/T another chance again to get into their atmosphere more. I still think that AHIG has some of their best songs they've written.

lemeker

SS.org Slacker
Reaction score
I'm actually a huge fan of Vol 3. The songs are killer. The album has a great flow to it, its easy to listen to start to finish. I just think the mix is atrocious.

All Hope is Gone is an awesome album. I think it really gets a bad rap at times.

The last album was good, a couple of tunes caught my attention. I haven't been on a Slipknot kick for awhile so it didn't get much rotation.

S/T and Iowa, I just have a soft spot for. The right albums at the right times.

jwoods986

Reaction score
I think Vol 3 is their best album, it's actually the only one that I can listen to front-to-back (and I have all 5). But AHIG has a few great songs and some are chock full of killer riffs (Vendetta).

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
all hope is gone is heavier in terms of riffage than vol3, but vol3 is way groovier and less straightforward (it's borderline nu-metal at times). I honestly think that all hope is gone has more in common with Iowa than it does with vol3 if we're talking about the riffage. The self titled is way more nu metal tinged than Iowa and I'd say that Vol3 is closest to the self/titled album in terms of riffage, though the self titled has a lot more electronic elements.
It was fun listening to all of them back to back again and seeing how they compare.

setsuna7

Poor Gearwhore
Reaction score
Adding to the AHIG defense: I adore Snuff, there, I said it. Even if it's probably more like a Stone Sour song.

Snuff was the highlight of AHIG.. it's heavy without being a cheesy ass ballad, while it is a ballad that was heavy... if that make any fucking sense... lol

it helped me got over a really bad relationship at the time back in '08. so I owe it to Paul for pushing the band to put it on AHIG. In '99 the self titled help fueled the rage of my 18 years old self, a decade later, the same band helped me as an adult to get through a dark time. So now everytime I hear it, i'll think about Paul. RIP my man..