So who else has had the cops called due to noise?

• Thread starter 7 Strings of Hate
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm kind of pissed off. I got some new tubes for my mesa and was comparing them with the old ones, loud i might add. But i have owned my own home for over 2 years and have been much louder, and even used to have an entire band playing with me, we were twice as loud. Yet here i am, up stairs, rocking out, and i see a cop pull up out the window.

I shut off my stuff and go down stairs and go out side and say "too loud huh?" and he proceeded to say that he just got a complaint, he didnt know who did it, and the he was sorry to have to come in the middle of the day on saturday because of a complaint. I told him it was cool, and i would turn it down. I was respectful and he even came across as not even really wanting to have to come bug me. Not to mention the fact that our mayfest parade is going on in our town 2 blocks away, and there are about 9 high school bands blaring.

I'v always been respectful and never play past 9 because i have heard the 10 to 10 noise rules and didnt try to be a dick. But it pissed me off so i went to the police station and told them what was up, and explained that i was wanting some info on the laws about it because A. i had been twice as loud many many times over the previous 2 years and never heard a word, yet now i'm half as loud and am getting bitched at and i'm not wanting trouble really and B. I dont really care if i piss off my neighbors if its not illigal. They told me to basically look on the citys web site at the ordinances and that the cops kind of follow what is there.

So i go home, and the only thing i can find that relates is that they said you cant use extremely loud equipment, like steam shovels and jack hammers from 10 pm to 6am, which would mean to me i can be loud from 6:01am to 9:59pm with out much trouble. And mind you i play at appropriate times, middle of the day to early evening, usually 5 to 7 pm.

Anyway, i went back up stairs and rocked the fuck out, i closed my window a little bit, but i was much louder this time. I figured if the cop came back, i would show him a print out of the ordinance, tell him i wasnt trying to be a jerk, but things seem to be real fuzzy about whats actually illigal, and that i didnt buy a house and nice equipment just to be silent.

Anyway, the cops never came. I actually think its our trashy neighbors that the entire neighborhood complains about because their kids shit in the yard and crazy shit like that. It looked like they had their grandparents over, so maybe they were trying to show boat. All the other neighbors are friendly, or they are parents of my friends. or i personally know them. But reguardless, anyone else go through this shit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crucified

Deathgrind Maniac
Reaction score
at an old house we used to get visits from the cops at least ocne every time we jammed sometimes twice. we never jammed late, the old lady next door was just a bitch. they -have- to respond to complaints so they come and do it and if they get it from you too many times in a day they'll threaten to fine you because they don't want to come out and it's their discretion regardless of written law, so usually if you're not a dick at the door you'll be fine.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Tons of times. :lol:

But not in years, since at home, I never turn up loud (headphones), and the two places I jam at, one is my bros, and we soundproofed the shit out of his garage studio, and the other, is way out in BFE.

Sindwulf

Reaction score
My Boston apartment had cops over like every other week. I think cops are dicks about that because they just want people to stop filling their phone lines with noise complaints. Like parents of toddlers, they don't care about justice, they want quiet!

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
well...that never really happened to me..BUT sometimes my fellow guitar player picks up the police radio channel in his amp. Oh boy we have had some good times sitting by that amp :lol:

:rofl: I can just imagine people drunk and laughing their asses off around that thing :lol:

I never had complaints against me or Cops come visit my house. I guess I have cool neighbours (and yes, I play loud, sometimes up until 11pm...)

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
A lot of times here, the first thing the cops will ask you when you call with a noise complaint is, "Have you asked them to turn it down?"

If not, they suggest that as a first course of action. If they're rude, belligerent or don't comply (and they're in violation) or if you feel your personal safety would be in jeopardy by confronting them with the complaint, then the cops will come over.

Funny story: In our old house, we were one street away from a public park. One night, a bunch of stoned neo-hippies decided to have a bit of an impromptu "drum circle" right near the entrance to the park nearest our house. I think my wife was sick at the time, or had to get up really early the next morning, so it was really bugging her. It was at least 10:00 pm, maybe closer to 11. So i walk over and wait for a break in the drumming.

Me: "Hi, i live just over there, and my wife is trying to sleep. We'd appreciate it if you moved your drumming elsewhere."

Stoner 1: "Oh, that's okay, man. We'll move on if we get a noise complaint."

Stoner 2: "Dude, i think that's what he's doing."

Stoner 1: "Oh."

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
you should have pulled out a chuck norris roundhouse to stoner 1's head

i can appreicate not everyone wants to hear me rock out, i'm just wanting consistancy, plus i only play within decent hours :)

Orosz

Reaction score
Never had the cops involved but had my neighbour just walk into my house and into my basement during one of our band practices and have a shit fit about the noise(it was about 5 in the afternoon and you can barely hear anything from my basement since we soundproofed it). But they seem to think it's okay to sit out in there backyard and get drunk and stoned at all hours of the night and keep me up.

aeronaut

Reaction score
once when i was a senior in high school. an elderly dude and his wife (who looked like she was one of the remaining survivors from the titanic) who lived 4 blocks away came by to tell me how obnoxious and loud i was being. other than that now i am lucky that i have dope ass neighbors who tolerate metal music. :hbang:

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
Lots and lots of times. So much so that it's just routine by now. Many times it's like, "OK, everybody ready? Let's get through as many as we can before the fuzz shows up."

Thank god for the shed.

btw, man, you're right. there's a decibel level that you have to meet between certain hours of the day. does the neighbor mow his lawn? call the cops out when he's doing that. check the decibel level of the mower and the time. check how long it lasts. these people really need a lesson in tolerance. i had a fucking dick next to me that revved up his outboards and hosed them out at 6am. fucking bastard.

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah it happened once or twice where my old band practices, the cops usually don't even give a shit that you're being loud they're just responding to somebody bitching :shrug:

There are some annoying fucking neighbors in that neighborhood.

bobbyretelle

Reaction score
one time when i was younger someone called the cops on my friends and i because we were playing really loud outside the house.

on top of that i had just gotten a new wireless system and had done what any normal young male would have done in 9th grade after receiving a wireless system for his guitar:

play Metallica's For Whom the Bell Tolls from the roof of a friends house.

so, the cops came, i was on the roof, the cop was confused, everyone else was in the back yard, parents were called, concerned police were met by said parents regarding me on an icy roof, and laughter was shared

haha

oh, and then another time we were having a band practice in a friends garage and a cop came by, looked at me and said "hey, i remember you, you're roof-top kid"

:lol:

Buzz762

Destroyer of Worlds
Contributor
Reaction score
We had a noise complaint once playing a basement show. The old neighbor (we know it was her because the occupants of the surrounding dwellings were in attendance) called to complain at 8:30 though the effect didn't kick in until 10. Honestly, from outside, you could hardly hear anything at all. I'm willing to bet she'd gotten out of her car, harely heard us, went inside (in the middle of winter so her windows weren't open or anything) and called to complain. The funny thing is that we'd stopped playing prior to police arrival due to unsafe playing conditions. The floor was wet and the singer kept getting shocked every time he'd get too close to the mic. We decided we didn't need anyone getting electrocuted and pulled the plug. The cops showed up to a party, but it wasn't even audible from outside. They asked us nicely to keep it down.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
never.

which is nice, considering i had a cranked full stack going at around dinner time tonight..

Ken

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Not me. I don't get very loud, but my neighbor does. If it gets too much, I just go over and talk to him. We've had our differences, but it's always best to hash it out because once the cops get involved, no one wins.