alexguge

Reaction score
sorry for lack of info, hehe.
I'm buying a Agile Intrepid 828, tuning will be F Bb Eb and so on.
I'm using a 0.66 for drop A on a 25.5 scale guitar, so i've found out that a 0.75 fits perfectly. But what i'm really confused by, is that there are so many types of strings within one brand? for example:
GHS Compound Nickel
GHS Special Dynamite Alloy
D'Addario Electric Chromes
D'Addario Electric XL Nickel Wound
I'm just really confused:scratch:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Firstly, the standard strings you use, are more than likely nickel, round wound strings. These are the type found on just about all factory, fretted, electric guitars.

Stainless steel wound strings are rougher in feel, but last longer and give off a noticeably brighter sound. They're also tougher on frets, nuts, and bridges as the stainless steel is a very hard material, especially compared to softer nickel.

Flatwound strings (such as the D'Addario Chromes) are very smooth to the feel, as the windings are flat, opposed to circular. Though, they tend to be very dark and round sounding.

If you want something similar to all the strings you've most likely used in the past, simply go for a nickel, round wound string. The D'Addario XL NW would be a good example.

Really though, there's no "wrong" choice. String gauge and type preferences vary greatly from person to person. Luckily, strings are typically cheap enough to do a lot of experimenting with.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Firstly, the standard strings you use, are more than likely nickel, round wound strings. These are the type found on just about all factory, fretted, electric guitars.

If you want something similar to all the strings you've most likely used in the past, simply go for a nickel, round wound string. The D'Addario XL NW would be a good example.

To add a bit of confusion to the mess, nickel wound strings are not the same as pure nickel wraps. When string manufacturers say "nickel wound," they typically mean nickel plated steel wound or steel alloy with some nickel wound.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
To add a bit of confusion to the mess, nickel wound strings are not the same as pure nickel wraps. When string manufacturers say "nickel wound," they typically mean nickel plated steel wound or steel alloy with some nickel wound.

:agreed:

I was a little too lazy to get overly technical. :lol:

Djentlemen

Reaction score
Hi all.

Cut to the chase. Im having trouble finding an 8 string and really need one to start a band that me and a friend want to start.

I want to use my 7 string to tune down to the low F and so on but i'm not sure what size strings I should use.

Can the community shed its wisdom and aid me?

Thanks in advance, and hello again :)

Jord.

Bigfan

sixstringer
Reaction score
What size strings are you using now? I'm guessing you're tuned to B standard, so you should only need to find a gauge for the low F#. I'm guessing a 70-75 should do the trick, but that's just my preference when it comes to tension. Getting a guitar string that thick might prove difficult and you may have to order it online.

edit: :ninja:'d

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Djentlemen

Reaction score
Post the tension question in the thread listed and read through the threads in the Extended Range section for ideas on 8s. If you have a low budget look at Rondo Music Home Page

:ninja:'ed by another mod :lol:

I can save up enough to afford a fairly decent 8 string. I've looked at Rondo i'm really interested (mentioned friend actually has an Agile) but adding a case and tax and import costs i'm looking at around the same price as any 8 string I can get in the uk. Plus theres always the risk it will get lost/damaged in transit.

Im using 10-58's and switch between A# Standard to Drop G#. Not out of naivety but out of laziness.

Metalus

JP BFR Whore
Reaction score
So i've recently gotten a new guitarist and we've both decided on playing in Drop G on 7's. I use .11s and a .66 as my low A. I tuned down to G and its a bit floppy but nothing bad. It sounds pretty clear as far as I can tell through my PODXTL. I haven't had a chance to test this on my RG7620. Should i get a .68? How about a .70?

P.S. The S7420 has a pair of D Activators and the RG7620 has a pair of blackouts.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
68 should do it, and would be the 'standard' gauge.

If you were in standard, what strings would you use?
For example I use 9-52 so a 68 on the bottom would feel about right to me for a low g, maybe a little tight...

daal

Reaction score
@lucifer666 : depends on the scale of your guitar, and what tension you're used to (like, what strings do you use on what scale for what tuning for now ?)

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
Can someone with you and your fancy spreadsheets maybe optimize me an 8-string set for this? I'm very excited and ordered, but I know it is going to come with incorrect strings. A definite real aspect on the tightest low end possible. Thanks folks.

Looking at standard 8 tuning.