Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
I just picked up a used Ibanez APEX2. They come factory tuned to KoRn's signature tuning: A, D, G, C, F, A, D (low to high). Can I tune it to standard tuning? What gauges should I use for that?

Thanks

I believe those came with the following strings for ADGCFAD tuning:

.010/.013/.017/.026/.036/.046/.059

And Ibanez would use their next higher string set for BEADGBE to get the same tension:

.009/.011/.016/.024/.032/.042/.054

Good luck!

hesiek

Reaction score
Im looking for a set of strings for my EBMM JP12-7, drop g# tuning. Can you guys help me out? I was thinking about a 68 on the low G# but dunno if it isnt too much and pbb id have to drill a nut

its a 7 string 25.5"

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
You shouldn't have to drill out the tuners for a .068", and that gauge shouldn't be too thick for tension at G# (if anything, too thin ~15 N of tension is pretty light, but not outside of normal range). As for reslotting the nut, if that's what you meant, that is a possibility, although I would guess probably not necessary.

I would say go for it, and expect a reasonably low probability of needing to widen the string channel in the nut.

RobPhoboS

Reaction score
6 string RRhoads
22.5 scale length
Tuning for stuff like Suffocation - so C# - C standard.
I was thinking D'Addario EXL148 ?
(shorter scale length - heavier gauge right? - I never think about this old one much)

Aaaannd - I was also thinking of putting another set onto my 6 string 27.75" but tuned to A standard mostly.
Sometimes it'll dip down to G though.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
22.5" Tuned C Standard?!

Yeah, use heavier gauges. Maybe 12-56 or 13-60? It depends on your taste in tension, of course.

At 27.75", it's like 22.5" down two whole steps, so G standard at 27.75" would be about a half step worth more slack than your C standard at 22.5". If you are going between G and A, you should be able to use the same gauges as your other guitar.

RobPhoboS

Reaction score
Many thanks !
I've been playing for many, many years on and off - and just never really paid attention to what string gauges I was slinging on. Usually thicker the better for the stuff I was playing.
It just made things annoying as it's nice to grab something off the shelf that'll get me 90% of what I wanted.
So learning a bit more about what tension I like should help clear things up !

That poor old RR, still - I love playing on it, although it feels weird going from that to an M80M :lol:

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
You shouldn't have to drill out the tuners for a .068", and that gauge shouldn't be too thick for tension at G# (if anything, too thin ~15 N of tension is pretty light, but not outside of normal range). As for reslotting the nut, if that's what you meant, that is a possibility, although I would guess probably not necessary.

I would say go for it, and expect a reasonably low probability of needing to widen the string channel in the nut.

I think he meant using a file for the nut.

Possessed

Reaction score
What are the best gauge for D standard on 25.5" guitar? I want the similar feeling as 9-42 or 9-46 for E standard! I have tried 10-52, the lower strings are too tight for me!

I would like to search for the previous posts, but this thread is way too long...
Thanks in advance

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
what set of strings will fit 68 on the low g# in the drop g# tuning ? ebmm jp12 7 string 25.5"

I'm not clear on what your question is.

What are the best gauge for D standard on 25.5" guitar? I want the similar feeling as 9-42 or 9-46 for E standard! I have tried 10-52, the lower strings are too tight for me!

I would like to search for the previous posts, but this thread is way too long...
Thanks in advance

D standard tension is not significantly less than E standard tension. The best place to start would be with the same strings as before, unless you thought they were too slack already. Personally, I always preferred the 9-46 sets over the 9-42, but none of the prepackaged sets are actually optimized.

Monsterhawk

You're killin it bro
Reaction score
Hey guys, need your wisdom!

Im useless when it comes to string tension and gauge so I figured id ask the guru's..

Im using a JS22-7 (26'5") with D'addario XL 10's (Im considering changing brands as they make so much noise during movement) ....its a tiny bit saggy in standard but im tuning down to drop G and the tension just isnt there, I like it to be pretty tense...would this be down to strings or down to adjusting the truss rod?

Im not exactly rolling in it right now so trying to narrow it down before paying to have set ups done etc if i could just get new strings...

any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, adjusting the truss rod will do nothing to the string tension at all, it will only adjust the angle of the neck, so you need a heavier string gauge if you want more tension.

Can you give us an example of a string gauge and scale length and tuning that feels right to you?

Once you have the tension you want, adjusting the truss rod so that you have the neck angle you desire should be easy, if you have an allen wrench.

Monsterhawk

You're killin it bro
Reaction score
That sounds like something I should have known...you'd think I know this sorta thing after 9 years...I like the feel of EB beefy's on my les Paul? They're all one size, right?

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
That sounds like something I should have known...you'd think I know this sorta thing after 9 years...I like the feel of EB beefy's on my les Paul? They're all one size, right?

In standard tuning?!

Jericho Fusion
26.9 Inches
13-62
B Standard/Drop B

Doable?

That sounds good to me. I tend to like things a little slinky though. If you like heavy string tension it might not be as much to your taste as mine.

Monsterhawk

You're killin it bro
Reaction score
Drop D sorry, that's what I used to use on the 6..but I'd tune up and down between drop C too..

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Drop D sorry, that's what I used to use on the 6..but I'd tune up and down between drop C too..

If you are happy with 11's in drop D at 24.7", you should be looking at probably 12s at 26.5" for drop G.

Here's 11-54 in drop D

.011" E : 18 N
.015" B : 19 N
.022" G : 26 N
.030" D : 23 N
.042" A : 25 N
.054" D : 18 N

On your Jackson, for a similar feel and balanced tension, I would recommend

.012" D : 20 N
.016" A : 20 N
.020" F : 20 N
.030" C : 21 N
.040" G : 21 N
.054" D : 21 N
.080" G : 20 N

Significantly thicker than what you had there.