[Tech] Pick Scoring

• Thread starter Ancestor
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
I used to use Jazz III's and run a soldering iron in a fan pattern over the grip - never dropped one :)

After that I moved to techpicks and had a couple of brass picks knocked out by a friend of mine. With those I used to drill a hole through the middle (about 5mm) and counter-sink that to provide something I could dig into but I got a little tired of the "schip-schip-schip" sound as the pick hit the string and went back to the Jazz III's.

russdogz_

Reaction score
tried melting dots with paperclips, works great

also decided to make some patterns like stars n shiiiit

Attachments

• P1280005s.jpg
    P1280005s.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 146

chaosxcomplex

Reaction score
I've used the black Jazz III's forever, and I've been scratching them with a knife for a while. Helps cause my hands sweat a lot...Gonna try the paper clip method...Looks promising.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
I looked around for different ways to keep the picks from slipping and ended up doing this:

DSC00029.jpg

Silver duck tape! Stuff sticks to your fingers if you press down a little bit and holds up well when sweat gets into the mix. Though it doesn't always feel amazing when you do get really sweaty but your pick doesn't go anywhere.

damigu

stay tuned
Reaction score
i just score with a knife, but i'm going to try out that heated paperclip idea--it sounds really promising and safer than the knife.

oldbulllee

Reaction score
for me, the best and easiest way to mod it, is to apply 4-5-6 ( to your preference, and according to the size/shape of the pick) SMALL drops of cyanoacrylate ( super glue) on each side of the pick, of course, only on the grip area.
works great, and lacerations are not an option.
remember: small drops, just a touch with the opening oh the glue bottle. if you put too much, it could just spread across, and it wouldn't work as well in providing more grip.

Deadbrog

Reaction score
Is it me or do the black JazzIII's seem to have more grip? I love the black ones, but when ever I need picks, I usually need them right away and can only find the reds. And of course, I never order the black ones online in case I need them later :lol:

lol, i do the exact same thing. the red ones slip too much if your hands start to get sweaty.

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
i have no problems holding onto my pics, but my buddy srills a single hole through the middle of each pic so his fingers touch.

Mn3mic

Reaction score
This is a nice Idea but I think it takes too much time...

You can get the same/similar result by simple carving an X on each side of the pick with any sharp object.

But still a nice idea though :metal:

damigu

stay tuned
Reaction score
You can get the same/similar result by simple carving an X on each side of the pick with any sharp object.

my experience says you are incorrect, sir.

when i first tried scoring a pick, all i did was put an X on each side. it only made a minor difference and i gave up on it for years because it wasn't good enough.

then i decided to make a waffle pattern on each side and it makes a much more significant difference. the dimple thing helps even more.

but these days i use a soldering iron the melt a hole in the center of the pick. once the plastic cools, there are raised edges around the hole that improve the function of the hole itself.

Mn3mic

Reaction score
It works for me and is less time consuming.

But my only concern was the live playing, sweat and all that, so basically the carved X was more then enough to get me through live performances...

stevo1

ClearTrack Studios
Reaction score
i just burn a couple of holes on both sides where i grip on the pick with a soldering iron... i never have a problem, and it lightens the pick.

Bevo

Reaction score
I take the tip of the knife and spin it a half turn or so into the pic, it raises the plastic up. About 5 divots on each side works, just don't cut yourself!

Put the pic on a wood surface with is point at 9 O'clock, hold tip with your finger. Put blade on at 12 sharp end up, then rotate clockwise to 6.

Mukersman

Reaction score
I don't know how deep you guys want you picks scored, but I just take a key and put a bunches of multidirectional scratches on the thumb side of my dunlop tortex things.

Unto The Sky

Reaction score
Cheers for this. Definitely going to try a couple of the methods here. I'm absolutely terrible for dropping picks, a load of my friends have a running joke about it. Sweaty hands FTL!

AliceAxe

Reaction score
I don't realy have a problem with holding onto picks myself, i hold them in a way that they pivot between my thumb and first finger , that for me they never silp, I hardly ever lose picks.

But some of my students have had issues and these have been very sucessful for them.

Cactus Picks - Home

as far as the original post, IMO anything that even remotely risks serious harm to a guitarist's hands, especialy over something like better pick grip when there are other options available, is a big FAIL.

Jet9

Petrucci Wannabe
Reaction score
I just use V-Picks, they actually work BETTER for people with hot/sweaty hands.

Latest posts