The Contortionist Megathread

• Thread starter MetalJordan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ItWillDo

KGB Apparatchik
Reaction score
Just dropping by to say that "Intrinsic" is so damn good, it actually hurts to listen to it knowing I probably won't be able to write anything that comes even close to that record.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TIBrent

Drop Z regular
Reaction score
What are these guys up to I need more Cynic-core
stare-stink-eye-glare-0.jpg

Cynic-core??? hmmm:spock:

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
You mean you don't hear the Cynic influence with bands like this?

brutus627

Givah some!
Reaction score
going to see these guys tomorrow and i can't wait...gonna crap when they play oscillator. it's funny how much i agree with the dude that said when he listens to them he just thinks how much he will never be able to write something as good. i think that they are one of the most daring/interesting bands i've ever heard. people have been doing the whole clean dirty thing a long time but it's just such a drastic extreme to me from how heavy they can be to how anathema feel good chill they can be haha. when they do that stuff it always just seems like it was where the song was supposed to go somehow and i find that amazing... may bring my back cover from my ibby and get some autographs.

brutus627

Givah some!
Reaction score
Not really bursting my bubble since all their stuff is excellent :agreed: but thanks for the info. the first time i saw them they played flourish,oscillator, and primal directive from exoplanet but intrinsic was pretty new then. so correction, the crap will hit my pants when they play causality! :shred:

CyborgSlunk

Reaction score
Finally got around to listen to Intrinsic, and while I love Exoplanet, this is on a whole different level! Favorite part for me has to be that heavy breakdown in the beginning of Causality with the atmospheric synths playing over it, daaaaamn that shit is so good.

anomynous

Reaction score
Groundbreaking heavy progressive rock band THE CONTORTIONIST will release an all new LP titled Language on September 16th, 2014 via eOne Music / Good Fight Music. The band spent time with producer Jamie King (BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME) at The Basement Recording Studio in Winston-Salem, NC. "Making this record from start to finish was quite an experience," says guitarist Robby Baca."From the initial attempts at song writing to the tracking sessions with Jamie, it's an experience that I cant wait to share with everyone."

Language will be the third LP installment from the band and first with new vocalist Michael Lessard who offers, "I'm beyond happy to share this album with people! The experience and result are something I'm very proud to have been a part of. I think this album will show how we've all progressed as writers and players."

The new effort will be the follow up to the highly publicized Intrinsic, which came out in 2012 highlighted by singles “Holomovement” and “Causality.”

Metal Injection called Intrinsic "one of the most exciting metal albums of the year." Absolute Punk claimed that "Intrinsic puts The Contortionist at the top of the list for the future of prog-metal" and MetalSucks flat out called the band "one of the most exciting young prog-metal bands on the scene today."

Over the last few years THE CONTORTIONIST has accumulated quite a touring resume. The band was able to share the stage with acts like THE FACELESS, BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME, PROTEST THE HERO and DEFTONES. Stay tuned for more info surrounding this highly anticipated release in the coming months.

THE CONTORTIONIST is: Michael Lessard (vocals) | Joey Baca (drums, percussion) | Robby Baca (guitar) | Cameron Maynard (guitar) | Jordan Eberhardt (bass)

Dat lineup change

jjfiegel

Reaction score
I can't wait to see what Mike Lessard adds to this band.

bhakan

Reaction score
I'm super pumped to here this with Mike Lessard. I loved Exoplanet and Intrinsic, and when I first heard Holomovement my first thought was that the vocals reminded me of LCTR, and while I absolutely loved Jon Carpenter, I think Mike Lessard is a stronger clean vocalist, so I'm super pumped to hear him on this record.

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
When was Chris's departure? Did they even make a statement about it?

Oh well, they got a hell of a replacement.

I'm calling it now, either this or the new fallujah will be aoty

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
Jordan Eberhardt (bass)

wat...... between this and Dan Rejoining tesseract, I've just spent the last 30 minutes in a state of pure joy. I can't even speak. I'm so. fvcking. happy.

Reaction score
Album will sound very dredgy.

You have insider info, or is that your guess?

I would be ok with this, as dredg completely fell off after their third album. Im hoping just hoping for some killer clean vocals from Lessard. There is a section in "the escapist" from the recent LCTR album where he croons out the bridge section that gets me every time. I remember reading that they would have more clean singing on this album so I hope he is just belting out all over the place.

As far as the musical content, I loved Intrinsic and would welcome a further progression of that sound. I am usually not the one to say I would like a return to the first albums sound, but I listened to it again the other day and man does it slam hard. I would love it if some of the real gnarly sections and breakdowns from the first made a brief and tasteful appearance.

....in pumped.:hbang::fawk:

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
^Most of the album is clean vocals. It's definitely a lot softer and more atmospheric of an album from what I remember (And I only heard half of it like twice but we were talking about it). And the first heavy song on the album is definitely heavy as balls, but it's definitely not anything like Exoplanet. Way more in the vein of Intrinsic.

I also kinda feel weird talking about this before it's out but I think I'll always share a little more insider info with SSO than anywhere else :wub: Just don't spread it around! :lol: