The CRAZIEST guitar gear collection on the internet?

• Thread starter BadSeed
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Clickbait title reminds me of every TYT video...

"Marjorie Taylor Green DRAGGED for comments supporting Nazis"

Boebert CRUSHED after being CAUGHT giving handy during play"

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
I like Kyle's channel, but the video is 80min and on principle I cannot watch a guitar-related video that's longer than the amount of time I get to play in a week.

Just skip the gear content then and watch the YouTube ads so he can get paid.

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Honestly I like Kyle and do watch his content, but I don't need to see his hoard beyond like 5 min. He is still trying to get established and find out what video's work. Can't blame him for trying. I do think we should not run off youtubers as long as they are not overly whoring their stuff. One thing that is not OK though is posting your video, getting feedback on it and then never replying. Since your only purpose was to whore out your video, not have a discussion about it's content. If you want to have a genuine conversation about the video's topic I am in. If you are just trying to promote your channel, hell no.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
Yeah, even though I don’t need a 4x12, if somebody is going to give me a Mesa Cab imma take it. :)

The future of in demand gear is hard to predict. Right now it seems 4x12’s are out of fashion, but they could easily change. It will be funny to see Zoomers buying Mesa cabs with the 2000-2003 v30s in em for way too much money a decade from now. I am guessing the speakers will be worth more than the cabs in general. At the end of the day they are wooden boxes…

I’ve only been in the gear whore hobby for a few years. I have only seen silly high prices for stuff you guys say used to go for cheap. I want a $500 block letter 5150 or Ibanez prestige.
The funny thing is, I rarely ever see 4x12s at shows anymore. All the musicians I know who are gigging are using combos, 1x12, 2x12s, FRFR or straight to FoH... But I've had my 2x12 Port City sitting for months at a good price and have literally gotten ONE message about it. Yet, everytime I see a 4x12 posted, it doesn't even last a week :lol:
Very blunt but very honest
"I don't care a lot about your collection, but I'm interested in how you make money to afford it"
This is what I want to know, personally. I am in the top percentages of earners in my state but there's no way I could afford that much gear without just always having my credit cards maxed out.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
The funny thing is, I rarely ever see 4x12s at shows anymore. All the musicians I know who are gigging are using combos, 1x12, 2x12s, FRFR or straight to FoH... But I've had my 2x12 Port City sitting for months at a good price and have literally gotten ONE message about it. Yet, everytime I see a 4x12 posted, it doesn't even last a week :lol:

This is what I want to know, personally. I am in the top percentages of earners in my state but there's no way I could afford that much gear without just always having my credit cards maxed out.

True. I'd say that nowadays main audience of 412s are studios, basement warriors and backline rental businesses. Most bands insisting on using cabs live are using 212s. I prefer lightweight 212 tube combos myself for a bit more weight. My bandmate has a Mesa 412 that literally never leaves our rehearsal space.

The other day I went to a show and the opening band had two halfstacks and a bass full stack. They barely had any space on the stage and the amp was feedbacking like mad due to the volume-to-proximity ratio. Then the headliners came in full direct to FOH and sounded amazing (and had a lot more space to move around).

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
I'd say that nowadays main audience of 412s are studios, basement warriors and backline rental businesses. Most bands insisting on using cabs live are using 212s
This is me exactly. Haha I keep 2 412s setup in stereo at home, but no way in hell would I drag them out for a show. I'd bring my 212 or FRFR for that.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Basement hero with a 412 checking in. The one main venue in town has backline 412s (and they’re good) so decent chance I roll up with amplification and go when that comes around again.

MetalDaze

Repless in Seattle
Reaction score

I have 2 of those Port City 2x12's with V30's and they are great. I think the problem on resale is that most people don't know much about them. Then, there's the whole shipping thing.

If I was local, I'd totally take it off your hands.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
I have 2 of those Port City 2x12's with V30's and they are great. I think the problem on resale is that most people don't know much about them. Then, there's the whole shipping thing.

If I was local, I'd totally take it off your hands.
Yeah I wouldn't mind shipping it. Honestly it wouldn't be that expensive. I shipped a VH-140C combo a few weeks ago and the box was huge. It only cost like $80. Mostly I just don't want to take the time to box it up :lol:

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Collection threads make me feel so conflicted. Part of me wants to gorge on gear and part of me wants to sell everything and get down to about 3 rock solid guitars.
Pick one and sell the rest. You will finally be free.

Basement hero with a 412 checking in. The one main venue in town has backline 412s (and they’re good) so decent chance I roll up with amplification and go when that comes around again.
Same except the only time there's a backline in my town it's because me and my buddy brought it. Currently putting a mean wall together for a touring grind/punk band coming through in June. Last October I brought a 2x15, a 4x12, and a 4x10 combo to a show, all for me to play one guitar through. Somebody's gotta keep the dream alive.

Also yeah.... I have one guitar but a basement full of amps. :lol:

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Yeah my guess is debt fuels many gear hordes. I am in a similar position myself (income wise) and I balk at paying $2000 or whatever for a used Mark V. Let alone having dozens of such amps.

Don’t buy guitar gear on credit cards! If you gotta do those like 24 month payment plans I got bad news, you can’t actually afford it.

Shask

Reaction score
Yeah my guess is debt fuels many gear hordes. I am in a similar position myself (income wise) and I balk at paying $2000 or whatever for a used Mark V. Let alone having dozens of such amps.

Don’t buy guitar gear on credit cards! If you gotta do those like 24 month payment plans I got bad news, you can’t actually afford it.
Yeah, I have been obsessed over finances, retirement funds, investing, etc... the last few years, and I see the credit card as only a convenience of transaction medium. I dont charge it if I dont have the cash to pay it that day. I typically make 4 credit card payments per month.

I did watch Kyle's full video yesterday, and it would be very cool to plug in like 4-5 full stacks all at once with a big splitter and just jam. It would be like that scene in Back to the Future, lol.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score
Credit cards = vessel for cash back/airline miles. I put all my online transactions on 0% APR cards, pay the balance a couple times a month, and take the extra $10 or $20 I get back in the rewards for future purchases of strings, picks, burrito, etc.

I got in trouble with debt in my early 20s and will never do that again. Terrible feeling.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Credit cards = vessel for cash back/airline miles. I put all my online transactions on 0% APR cards, pay the balance a couple times a month, and take the extra $10 or $20 I get back in the rewards for future purchases of strings, picks, burrito, etc.

I got in trouble with debt in my early 20s and will never do that again. Terrible feeling.

Yep been there done that. Only way I finance is short term as a convenience or long term 0% when I have the cash on hand if I want to pay it off immediately but don't want to make the initial outlay.

All of our purchases are through credit cards so that if they're compromised nobody can empty our bank accounts, but they're paid off weekly.

I'm currently floating part of the cost of the Monomyth I just bought, but will have that paid off before the end of the month and have the cash on hand if I needed to close it out for some reason.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score
I love that this thread started with "here's my gear collection" and became a conversation about managing debt :lol:

Spider_Man_meme.jpg