This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HamBungler

Lord Zorgatron
Reaction score
I thought it was a great video, before this video I didn't have a really good knowledge of scales in this tuning, that stuff's pretty simple now. I found it pretty darn useful.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
It was an awesome video - seeing him play through the reasons why his tuning is awesome made it make so much sense, reading why other people like it just isn't the same. I can't wait to give it a shot!

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Devin Townsend (Ocean Machine, Strapping Young Lad, Punky Brewster, Infinity, Physicist, Terria, DTB, Devlab, Hummer, Ziltoid) guitar instruction video. Japanese release only filmed during the 'infinity' era. One of the most illusive Devin bootlegs... Not anymore. To those of you who didn't think it existed... I guess you were right. Enjoy

So it's the Infinity era like Griffin said

Demeyes

Reaction score
Interesting video. I really wish he turned off the delay/verb for some of the parts though. It's a bit messy with it on.
There's a lot of cool ideas in the video. I tuned one of my 7's up into his tuning with a low G after watching this earlier today. Very fun to play around in, I could easily see myself getting a song out of it.

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting video. I really wish he turned off the delay/verb for some of the parts though. It's a bit messy with it on.
There's a lot of cool ideas in the video. I tuned one of my 7's up into his tuning with a low G after watching this earlier today. Very fun to play around in, I could easily see myself getting a song out of it.

Yeah, that was very irritating. Not at all helpful/useful when trying to slowly play and explain scalar patterns...

I tuned my AX7221 to Open C when I got it and I didn't enjoy playing it at all. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I play all of Devin's stuff in B or A Standard anyway. :D

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
It's a great video actually, and covers some awesome fundamentals to his sound and good songwriting in general. Picking style and shuffle-feel were both eye opening to his style... and the delay is appropriate, that's his sound. :agreed: I wouldn't expect Danny Gatton to dial the twang out of his sound for a video, nor would expect (especially an early era Devy) to shut off his reflections. :nono:

WillingWell

Reaction score
Maybe so, but the characterstic of a tone, like twang, is much different from layers and layers of distracting effects that just muddy up the audio when he plays. He could have easily kept the delay but dialed it back a lot for the instructional stuff, like he does in those newer demos.

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
cool video... I have a sixstring sitting around that needs some love, what gauges would you guys recommend for this tuning on a 25.5"?

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
I threw my guitar with 10-52's on it in this tuning and it held up fine.

george656

Reaction score
I agree that he should have used less delay and reverb in some parts of the instructional video. A lot of guitarists tend to overuse delay and reverb when soloing. If I can get a 7 string ibanez like the RG3721, I will slap on some D'ddario strings 10-60 and tune it to GCGCGCE.

Has Devin Townsend used any other tunings besides open C major?

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
Has Devin Townsend used any other tunings besides open C major?

While most of his songs are in open C, there are a couple with more experimental tunings (AAA on City for example) and some in standard (such as vampira).

Devin has stated he can't remember some of the tunings used on some songs too hehe

Fasol

Reaction score
Mhh why he had sooo much gain in 5150, its enough at 4, its going muddy after 5... and 0 mids !!!!!????? :| What da ?

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
I got my signed copy in the mail yesterday. Suppossedly it was gonna come with 3D glasses to view the artwork (which is really cool) but it didn't :squint:.

The music is awesome, these are my current favorites off the album:
:metal:

vontetzianos

Reaction score
I must get a copy for myself. Overall, I prefer the style of some of his previous albums, but Ki does have some really cool stuff on it.

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
I heard a few of the tracks on Spotify and it didn't grab me. Not something I can listen to unless I'm tired and want to go to sleep.

Some great guitar tone on that album though.