The Digitech GSP1101 thread.

troyguitar

Reaction score
Anyone got a good bass tone out of this or the RP series? I need to record some bass tracks for my band and have no idea what good bass tone even sounds like :lol:

I've got a cheap p-bass and am playing standard-tuned classic/power metal, looking for mostly clean bass tone with maybe a hint of overdrive but certainly not heavy distortion.

What sounds pretty decent to me so far is the Bassman and 4x12 V30 model to give it some mid-range presence.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bevo

Reaction score
I have had good luck with the "Sultans of Tone" eq'd to get rid of the sharp highs and mids to tase. Its a Fender twin model.
This works well in my PA speaker but not so good with my V30 Marshall cab.
Play around with your eq on the GSP and the bass.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone got a good bass tone out of this or the RP series? I need to record some bass tracks for my band and have no idea what good bass tone even sounds like :lol:

I've got a cheap p-bass and am playing standard-tuned classic/power metal, looking for mostly clean bass tone with maybe a hint of overdrive but certainly not heavy distortion.

What sounds pretty decent to me so far is the Bassman and 4x12 V30 model to give it some mid-range presence.

For any kind of metal in this day and age, it's generally a good idea to have at least two separate bass tracks, a low end track, and then a distorted track.
The reason why it's common to use a distorted track is that it can help it fit into the mix and add extra beef to the guitars that using just a single track of fairly clean bass can't.

Demeyes

Reaction score
I got some decent bass tones from it running it into a poweramp and bass cab. The amp model I used was one of the fenders (I think) but the secret to a nice bass tone is having a good play around with the compression settings.

troyguitar

Reaction score
I tried throwing the compressor out in front of my bassman patch just now and it is indeed better.

I'll try the double tracking thing later, but I'm not terribly confident I can play the damn songs consistently enough to do that and have it improve the sound. It turns out that bass is at least a little bit harder than I thought :lol:

It seems like I need to play with the heaviest hand I can with both hands in order to get the best tone, which is the exact opposite of my general approach on guitar. I had to put the thing down after like 30 minutes because my hands/arms were tired.

Kairos

Quintessentially So
Reaction score
Thanks for the answers guys. I really don't care too much that you can't do that. I'm just experimenting with reaming my stuff to see what kind of tones I can get. LePou Plugins FTW:hbang:

Anyone have some sweet VSTs they love to use, or settings?

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
I tried throwing the compressor out in front of my bassman patch just now and it is indeed better.

I'll try the double tracking thing later, but I'm not terribly confident I can play the damn songs consistently enough to do that and have it improve the sound. It turns out that bass is at least a little bit harder than I thought :lol:

It seems like I need to play with the heaviest hand I can with both hands in order to get the best tone, which is the exact opposite of my general approach on guitar. I had to put the thing down after like 30 minutes because my hands/arms were tired.

No no, not double tracking dude, literally copy and pasting the bass tracks, but processing them differently and using high and low pass filtering so they don't overlap sonically. So just one performance is enough.
Better to compress after the fact IMHO, as it allows you more control over what you're doing (that is, compress in the DAW).

Sang-Drax

Reaction score
No no, not double tracking dude, literally copy and pasting the bass tracks, but processing them differently and using high and low pass filtering so they don't overlap sonically. So just one performance is enough.
Better to compress after the fact IMHO, as it allows you more control over what you're doing (that is, compress in the DAW).

This! It's not like a double-tracked guitars at all!

If possible, try to record a dry track and then process it through two different amps. FWIW, my band's producer did something similar with satisfying results (it's not even metal). He ran the dry signal through some bass amp I don't recall and another one through a Vox AC30! The Vox overdrive provided some presence and the bass lines popped out.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
The recabinet impulses capture a lot of Power Tube distortion...really makes the Mark IV model shine.

Do these load into the GSP ok? I would prefer to keep everything coming out of it so I dont have latency issues with my computer.

JPhoenix19

Playing life by ear
Reaction score
Do these load into the GSP ok? I would prefer to keep everything coming out of it so I dont have latency issues with my computer.

They'll load, but the GSP has less taps for impulses than your computer does, so it has a good chance of sounding different. I'm also told that this issue varies by impulse.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
I've tried the free Redline impulses they offer. The 1960/el34 and 1960/6L6 are a good example of adding in power amp modeling. The difference is very subtle, but I prefer the 6L6 one.

Jzbass25

Reaction score
Anyone have a good petrucci tone (with or without new impulses, just tell me which ones you used). I saw one on like page 20 of this thread but I cant decide which bogner uberkab impulse sounds the best since he didnt say exactly which one.

I have an alright one for recording but I'd like one for live too. I cant seem to eq correctly though. I have a carvin legacy head and 2x12 cab for reference. I need to get better at eq'ing and setting up my own patches though. I am still learning, I did get some good EQ settings to work with my wampler pinnacle 2 into my clean channel on my legacy which gives me a mark IV sort of tone.

Also I dont have any more "good" recording programs anymore, any suggestions on an affordable recording program that also lets me load higher bitrate impulses?

Thanks!

Edit: wanted to add, a more "early petrucci tone" is what Im talking about. Like rock discipline times when he had that funky signature Ibanez. His tone was like butter then.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
I've tried the free Redline impulses they offer. The 1960/el34 and 1960/6L6 are a good example of adding in power amp modeling. The difference is very subtle, but I prefer the 6L6 one.

Even more so, try out the LePou (Catharsis) and Guitar Hack impulses. Not only are they free, they sound 100% better than the stock ones. I tried a few of the RedWirez but it was sooo tedious trying to decide which ones to try as it takes some time to load & try each one. I mean, for each cab, there are a dozen or so mics and for each one of those, there's 20+ mic placements so that's a lot of impulses to try out. Whereas with the Catharsis and Guitar Hack packs, there's maybe a dozen or so each and they're almost all good.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score

The Redline impulses are quite a bit different than the Recabinet models from a stylistic perspective.

The Redlines come from a perspective of power amp transparency, whereas the Recabinet models try to capture the power amp component and so are captured via a Randall power amp section at extremely high volume levels.

The Recabinet power amp contribution is very noticeable by comparison...honestly, I really didn't like the GSP high-gain sounds prior to getting impulse support and being able to add in that critical (IMO) power amp distortion.

celariom

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before but searching yields nothing.

I have the C58 beta firmware loaded but i dont see any option anywhere to upload Impulses of my own.

Do i have to build it into a preset somehow and restore that preset or how?

any help would be great.

Kairos

Quintessentially So
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before but searching yields nothing.

I have the C58 beta firmware loaded but i dont see any option anywhere to upload Impulses of my own.

Do i have to build it into a preset somehow and restore that preset or how?

any help would be great.

You need the cab loader from mustbebeta, also get c59. It's my favorite version so far. Most of us are just waiting for a final version to update.

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
Most of us are just waiting for a final version to update.

If that's true then you would expect to either wait longer for final release or risk the release of a buggy version. Stan said some time back that he doesn't play so logic suggests that the only way he would know about issues is if people are testing the beta firmware and reporting them.

Kairos

Quintessentially So
Reaction score
If that's true then you would expect to either wait longer for final release or risk the release of a buggy version. Stan said some time back that he doesn't play so logic suggests that the only way he would know about issues is if people are testing the beta firmware and reporting them.

Well, I am :D Updating every other week just annoys me.

I don't really know anything about Stan (I'm surprised he doesn't play) but isn't there a forum on mustbebeta that people make suggestions in? I don't do it because my use of the GSP isn't to in depth, just basic patches, so I don't really come across any problems or bugs. I'm quite content with the unit right now at c59 :)