The Laney Ironheart Owners Thread

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Only thing that worries me is that since it's 15 watts, it won't cut the best in a gig, but I have a feeling running the emulated out into a PA or just running either the line out or preamp ouit into a power amp could solve that.

I'd rather not have to buy another Ironheart. :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ericjutsu

Reaction score
just buy a poweramp for it. Or you could always just mic the cab up. You could do small gigs with it without any mics. It's pretty damn loud. I personally don't care about any of that since I don't gig. For me it's a studio only amp.

Veritech Zero

Jeffy Turbo
Reaction score
So my amp switch cable finally bit the dust. And now I'm wondering what the hell I use to replace it! It looked like a regular 5 pin midi cable to me, but alas, none of my 5 pin midi cables seem to work with it. Has anyone figured out what the heck cable it uses?

nlaplante

Reaction score
Yeah that's a nice thread over there. No clue as to what the guy did to his amp. But I'm a bit skeptical about converting it to 120w. It shouldn't be that easy.

Last edited:

GoldDragon

Reaction score
Just wanted to share that I sent my IRT60h in for warranty service (USA) and they fixed the problem and the turnaround was excellent. They had it back to me in about a week. The service center is in NJ.

The amp used to get ground buzz when used with an FX processors in the loop, now it is working perfectly and I can use it with the 4cm.

I thought I would get the runaround or they would say it was working as it should, but they went to the trouble to fix it and they were very professional. I was concerned that the warranty would be shoddy or non-existant because its a UK company and a China built amp, but they get a 10/10.

In case anyone needs warranty service, they contact the reseller and they will either work with the repair center or in my case since I ordered the amp online, they gave me the contact information and I dealt with them directly.

This kind of thing helps restore my faith in humanity.

Ericjutsu

Reaction score
how noticeable was the ground buzz? Was it something that was obviously wrong? Also, did you need to fill anything out or do anything to activate the warranty?

GoldDragon

Reaction score
how noticeable was the ground buzz? Was it something that was obviously wrong? Also, did you need to fill anything out or do anything to activate the warranty?

I have had the amp for about six months and originally I thought the ground loop hum was because of my old FX processor; I wasn't ready to blame it on the amp. But then I got another FX processor (GT100) and it had the same problem with it.

When running an FX processor in the loop, there was some additional low level noise. You could hear it on the clean channel and there was extra noise when playing with gain, but it really multiplied the noise when run in 4cm. It was not loud enough that someone woiuld immediately think it was broken (it wasnt squealing like a pig or humming like a live wire.)

If you put an effects processor (with say a delay) in the FX loop, there should not be any extra noise, hum, or buzz created. The FX processor might add slight hiss depending on the quality of the FX box.

I called zzounds where i bought it, they gave me a phone number, and setting up the service was all handled through email after talking with the guy on the phone. They may have called zzounds to verify purchase or they could have seen the shipping label from zzounds on the original box. I didnt have to fill out any internet forms or register with Laney (although I may have registered with Laney website when I bought it.. dont remember.)

Veritech Zero

Jeffy Turbo
Reaction score
Finally got around to putting this together. I'm nowhere near as good at mixing as most people on this forum, but hopefully this gets the point across.

EVH 5150III 50W vs. Laney IRT60 w/ EL34 power tubes.

USA Jackson Kelley w/ EMG Het Set, Genz Benz G-flex, Shure Beta 57, M-audio profire 610, Reaper. Drums from DKFH (midi ripped from guitar pro).

All everything set to noon (EQ, resonance, presence, etc.) on both amps so you can hear how they sound without any dialing in at all. Gain dialed in to be roughly the same.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/jeff-swanson-2/5150-vs-ironheart[/SC]

Stijnson

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just joined the IRT club and got myself a Studio yesterday. Couldn't be happier with it, it sounds awesome. BUT! I cant figure out how to re-amp with it. Now bare in mind im not even trying to record a dry and wet track here. I just want to re-amp some stems that I have.

Im using Reaper, I want my monitors which are connected to my Scarlett interface to output the processed sound obviously. I have the ASIO4ALL driver, and have, in the audio preferences on the PC set my Laney as the input, the Scarlett as the output. In reaper I have activated the ASIO4ALL driver and here is where it gets confusing. What do I select as output/input in the ASIO configuration etc? I have checked the Chimp Spanner vid but that didn't solve it lol. All i keep hearing is the dry track when I play it. So its not actually going through the Laney I'm assuming.

Any one who can help me out with this?

Edit: Alright I got it partially to work, but I have this constant high screeching noise while im listening to the re-amped track. What could this be?

GoldDragon

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just joined the IRT club and got myself a Studio yesterday. Couldn't be happier with it, it sounds awesome. BUT! I cant figure out how to re-amp with it. Now bare in mind im not even trying to record a dry and wet track here. I just want to re-amp some stems that I have.

Im using Reaper, I want my monitors which are connected to my Scarlett interface to output the processed sound obviously. I have the ASIO4ALL driver, and have, in the audio preferences on the PC set my Laney as the input, the Scarlett as the output. In reaper I have activated the ASIO4ALL driver and here is where it gets confusing. What do I select as output/input in the ASIO configuration etc? I have checked the Chimp Spanner vid but that didn't solve it lol. All i keep hearing is the dry track when I play it. So its not actually going through the Laney I'm assuming.

Any one who can help me out with this?

Edit: Alright I got it partially to work, but I have this constant high screeching noise while im listening to the re-amped track. What could this be?

Screeching could be a ground loop. If you are using a notebook, unplug the power supply and run from the battery.

Stijnson

Reaction score
Screeching could be a ground loop. If you are using a notebook, unplug the power supply and run from the battery.

Guess ill have to buy a new battery then, since mine is totally ruined and the power supply is permanently connected. But this cant be fixed by using the ground lift switch on the back for example?

GoldDragon

Reaction score
Guess ill have to buy a new battery then, since mine is totally ruined and the power supply is permanently connected. But this cant be fixed by using the ground lift switch on the back for example?

Not usually fixed by doing that. You can buy cheap replacement batteries on Amazon.

HUGH JAYNUS

I’m a grown ass man
Reaction score
Yay! Im cool too now! I just ordered my IRT Studio today. I ordered one on scratch n dent from AMS and saved like $150. but it doesnt have the rack wings. Anyone here not using theirs and want to sell them to me?

or does anyone know of any replacement i can get that will fit correctly?

kenny ken

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been covered but is the irt studio loud enough for gigs and band practices without being micd up? I'm just looking to use it as a power amp for my pod hd pro

HUGH JAYNUS

I’m a grown ass man
Reaction score
I got my IRT Studio and im very underwhelmed. It doesnt sound as good as the one my friend had.
but my main concern is volume. I knew the 15 watt would not be enough for me at practice. So I bought a Crown X2000 (900w) for it. somehow the built in 15 watts is louder than the crown at full power? After about 15 min of messing with it I could not figure out what to do. I had it connected via XLR from the direct out into the crown. Nothing I tried changed it. Any ideas?

GoldDragon

Reaction score
Does anyone get a really good, high gain saturated lead tone out of their Ironheart? I have been using it with a boost pedal, but there seems to be limits to how much gain you can put in the front before the sound starts getting muddy and choked.

I plugged into my JSX and it has an insane amount of gain and the notes are fat and saturated. The JSX ultra channel with gain on half has more gain than the Ironheart is capable of with gain on ten and a boost pedal.

Veritech Zero

Jeffy Turbo
Reaction score
Does anyone get a really good, high gain saturated lead tone out of their Ironheart? I have been using it with a boost pedal, but there seems to be limits to how much gain you can put in the front before the sound starts getting muddy and choked.

I plugged into my JSX and it has an insane amount of gain and the notes are fat and saturated. The JSX ultra channel with gain on half has more gain than the Ironheart is capable of with gain on ten and a boost pedal.

This is a quick demo I made for one of my bands a little while back, everything is the ironheart. First solo is at 3.30, second is at about 4.45. Don't know about you, but I'm getting plenty of saturation and note definition out of mine. It was one take, that wasn't even very clean and the saturation ALMOST hides the mistakes haha.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/jeff-swanson-2/long-way-home-demo[/SC]

GoldDragon

Reaction score
This is a quick demo I made for one of my bands a little while back, everything is the ironheart. First solo is at 3.30, second is at about 4.45. Don't know about you, but I'm getting plenty of saturation and note definition out of mine. It was one take, that wasn't even very clean and the saturation ALMOST hides the mistakes haha.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/jeff-swanson-2/long-way-home-demo[/SC]

Sounds great, the solo tone has lots of separation and definition, it records really well for your style. Is that the Studio?

I think my issue is that I'm playing in standard tuning with light gauge strings and Evolution pickups. It is really dry and sharp on top, plenty of definition, but not as much saturation as I would like. I think if I was downtuned or using heavier pickups or thicker strings that it would sound better. Maybe different speakers would suit it. I have found that when I run it through a speaker sim in my GT100 that the top is fuller.