The Laney Ironheart Owners Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shanike

Reaction score
the EU, 120W version:

IMG_1033.jpg

mat091285

Reaction score
Hi been using the IRT-Studio for sometime and thinking to replace the tubes. I was wondering, do you guys replace all of them at once or just the preamps? Are there any particular tube brands that spank nicely in it? Really want to get more saturation on this thing. Many thanks!

Mike

Reaction score
Well I don't have the studio, but I did just buy a whole new set for my 60H for the sake of tone tweaking. If there's nothing actually wrong with your tubes, and you simply want to replace them for tonal experimentation, then there's no need to replace all of them. The V1 preamp tube is probably the most important as far as altering the tone, so you could start there. Maybe try a Tung-Sol 12AX7 (ECC83 or ECC803 models). They're pretty high gain, but still nice and clear with low noise.

shanike

Reaction score
dialed it like this yesterday during rehearsal and it was nice. boost on for rhythm, I also use it like a clean boost
File_08_05_15_14_28_19.jpg

blackgecko

Reaction score
Just joined the IRT owners, this is my actual setup, Laney for the BROOTZ and Ibanez for the clean crunchy tones, both are awesome in its own, still finding my way trough the IRT, but so far it is a great purchase
20150427_094233.jpg

blackgecko

Reaction score
Nice setup bro. How do you like the Ibanez amp?

Im in love with that little bastard, the cleans are so mellow i almost forgot about metal, and the TS is just so glorious with my P90 guitar that is creamy and crunchy, really nice little amp.

About the IRT, do you guys have found the way to be able to change straight from Clean to Lead and back without having to tap the rhythm channel?

charlessalvacion

Reaction score
Im in love with that little bastard, the cleans are so mellow i almost forgot about metal, and the TS is just so glorious with my P90 guitar that is creamy and crunchy, really nice little amp.

About the IRT, do you guys have found the way to be able to change straight from Clean to Lead and back without having to tap the rhythm channel?

Can't you do that with the footswitch? I really cant confirm coz I am not using mine. hehe

mrdm53

Reaction score

actually using footswitch, just push the clean and lead button so both LED's are on. that way you have activate the lead channel

to switch into clean, just push the lead channel, so the only LED that on are just clean channel

it's my way to bypass rhythm channel

chassless

Don'tDeserveMyGuitar
Reaction score
using the footswitch, if you're on clean, then the green bulb is on. just press the lead switch and you'll be on lead, no need to go through the rhythm channel! make sure the switches on the amp itself are on the right positions though.

blackgecko

Reaction score
using the footswitch, if you're on clean, then the green bulb is on. just press the lead switch and you'll be on lead, no need to go through the rhythm channel! make sure the switches on the amp itself are on the right positions though.

Sorry i meant rhythm, lets see if i can explain better, i dont have the amp with me ATM, if im on clean bulb green, the press clean (bulb off) then im on rhythm, press lead (lead bulb on) then im on lead. till now all good.

But if now i want to go to clean i have to press both switches, so lead turns off and clean turns on, now i press lead both leds turn on and am on lead, if i want to go to rhythm, then have to press both switches again, so this sometimes gets confiusing.

I would like to find a way to "maybe" build a custom footswith to have a button for each channel, maybe im too old (and grumpy) to keep presing buttons.

chassless

Don'tDeserveMyGuitar
Reaction score
^ i think you can work around those hassles with a bit of foreplanning. When you know you want clean after lead, while mid playing, switch on the clean channel discreetly. When the time comes, simply turn off lead and you'll be on clean. You can do pretty much any switch with that same technique (and honestly you only need one foot to press both switches at the same time) The hierarchy of overrides are lead>clean>rhythm. I think it's more of a hassle to build a new footswitch altogether, imho of course. :2c:

blackgecko

Reaction score
^ i think you can work around those hassles with a bit of foreplanning. When you know you want clean after lead, while mid playing, switch on the clean channel discreetly. When the time comes, simply turn off lead and you'll be on clean. You can do pretty much any switch with that same technique (and honestly you only need one foot to press both switches at the same time) The hierarchy of overrides are lead>clean>rhythm. I think it's more of a hassle to build a new footswitch altogether, imho of course. :2c:

hahaha yeah i didnt mean build it myself, jeje, what bothers me is that even my bugera 333 has one switch per channel, so why didnt laney did that, one more switch will cost a few dollars more, put also a loop switch and this amp will be perfect, tonewise it is. only that s%&pid footswitch.:wallbash:

The Masala

Reaction score
Hi fellas, new guy here. I bought a Laney IRT-Studio a few days ago.

I notice that whenever i switch into the Clean channel (in the Rhythm channel), there is a noticeable "pop" sound that comes out from the speakers. It also happens when i disable the Clean channel too.

And, when i switch from the Rhythm channel to the Lead channel, the same "pop" sound appears albeit not as loud when compared to the situation above. However, when switching from Lead to Rhythm, it is silent instead.

Also, there is a loud "boop" sound whenever i switch the amp off.

Is this normal? Can other IRT-Studio users chip in?

chassless

Don'tDeserveMyGuitar
Reaction score
first of all, welcome to the forums!

we've been a bunch of people who seem to have the same popping problem as you, and i'm starting to think it's not that much of a problem if that's the case...

neurosis

Reaction score
Lots of cool posts here. I love my Ironheart Studio

Have any of you tried to pair this with an eq pedal in the FX loop? Did that help unlock new tones?

Also, I have been trying to record with the direct out and always end up getting way too much gain and fizz. I bypass the cab simulator and use Redwirez impulses loaded in Lepou. I have the tone I like and through a cab it sounds awesome. But it's not the same going into the computer. What are good settings to get a clear crunch? What are you setting the controls to?

I have the recording out level set to -12dB and an extra gain control on my track in Logic (another -18dB). Volumes are turned all the way up on there Laney channels. Gain is at noon.

I don't think it's clipping but I can't get it to sound clear when strumming chords. Guitar is a fairly bright PRS Custom 24.

Didn't want to open a new thread seeing that you are all gathering here. But I will do it if you think these questions has no place in this thread, though.:agreed:

Thanks!