The Official MMA Thread

coldm51

Reaction score
Koscheck Vs. GSP

This match had a lot of smack talk from Kos to GSP and Canada. GSP had all good intentions coming into the bout by just sticking to his game plan, coming out with the win, and shutting up Kos. Kos on the other hand just wanted to show that he is better than GSP and a lot improved fighter than their last bout. Overall the harder worker came out victorious and loser starts all over again.... In other words GSP stays at the top for the lb-for-lb chart while Kos goes home and has to work his way back on top for #1 contender.

All in my opinion..:agreed:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

coldm51

Reaction score
Edgar vs. Maynard

I see Edgar pulling out the victor this time not only because he looks and fights better than ever.. but because I'm sure he wants that win on the only man that has beaten him in the UFC. On the other hand though.. Maynard is hungry for that title and is undefeated (already beat Edgar once) so I think this is gonna be a crazy match-up.

heineken_fretwalker

Team Ibanez
Reaction score
Koscheck Vs. GSP

This match had a lot of smack talk from Kos to GSP and Canada. GSP had all good intentions coming into the bout by just sticking to his game plan, coming out with the win, and shutting up Kos. Kos on the other hand just wanted to show that he is better than GSP and a lot improved fighter than their last bout. Overall the harder worker came out victorious and loser starts all over again.... In other words GSP stays at the top for the lb-for-lb chart while Kos goes home and has to work his way back on top for #1 contender.

All in my opinion..:agreed:

Your opinion is correct, and I'm so glad Kos got beat. Would've preferred a GSP KO, but knowing how those two fight, I knew it would be a five round, drag out fight.

TheSixthWheel

bangetzit
Reaction score
I'm hanging out to see the Chris Camozzi vs Kyle Noke fight @ UFC 127 as I think Kyle's awesome, main card is BJ Penn vs Jon Fitch, Michael Bisping vs Jorge Rivera and George Sotiropoulos vs Dennis Siver. Other names for the card include Nick Ring, Ross Pearson and Chris LLLLLLLights out Lytle.

UFC 126 saw some interesting fights. The spectacular Anderson Silva vs Vitor Belfort, and the Jon "Dhalsim" Jones VS Ryan Bader was a surprise.

UFC 127 is being held in Sydney, Australia. It's next weekend, would love to have gone but loads of tickets were bought by scalpers and are on ebay for as much as AU$1500!

aslsmm

Banned
Reaction score
hey did you guys hear that oregon state is trying to get colleiget MMA started. apparently they wanna replace the college wrestling programs with it. Oregon and Oregon st had amazing wrestling teams but they dropped them because they wernt bringing in enough revanue for the schools. they replaced UofO wrestling with womens Soccer and Os just dropped it. little known fact is that rand coture was the wrestling coach at Os, he is really helping the MMA program out at OS. they did a trial run at the civil war in 2010, Oregon vs Oregon st. Oregon won (of course) but they are hoping that it picks up momentum. can you imagine a college MMA season!!!!! holy crap! that would be as bad ass as it gets. now i have always been a die hard duck fan but if randy coaches the OS MMA team i may find a reason to go there instead.haha. i cant find any youtube clips but they had the meet at college game day. any way just thought it would be totally bad to have college mma.

TheSixthWheel

bangetzit
Reaction score
hey did you guys hear that oregon state is trying to get colleiget MMA started...

This would indeed be totally awesome. I bet Dana White would find some way of getting his grubby little hands on it. I can imagine there would be so many kids in college who have amazing skills and energy. And of course some hopeless bastards who are just running on heart :lol: It'd be awesome to see college vs college in an MMA event.

Either way I just want more sanctioned violence. I've exhausted Pride and K1, I've seen every TUF season, and nearly all UFC events, including Fight Night events.

I definitely want more frequency with the seasons of The Ultimate Fighter. Every season has yielded great fighters, and have just been great to watch. Maybe some East VS West rivalry. I don't give a fuck, I want to see MMA advancing, becoming more widespread, and advancing the skills of KO artists, submission artists, and generally advancing the ancient art of hand to hand combat.

What I don't like about modern sports and the UFC in particular is the HUGE amount of energy drink bullshit (Red Bull, Rockstar, Monster, etc), it's beyond ridiculous. No athlete drinks that shit, it's poison. Loads of my students drink that crap and cannot think of a reason why when prompted.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I don't mind MMA being more widespread, but would you guys mind pumping out less douchey clothing lines? I'm sick of seeing every tool with a six pack walk around in a Tapout shirt like he knows what the fuck he's doing.

aslsmm

Banned
Reaction score
I don't mind MMA being more widespread, but would you guys mind pumping out less douchey clothing lines? I'm sick of seeing every tool with a six pack walk around in a Tapout shirt like he knows what the fuck he's doing.

hahahaahahaha, yeah nothing says bad ass like a flour de lance surrounded by roses and barb wire.

TheSixthWheel

bangetzit
Reaction score
The clothing I would never go near. I don't give a shit about others wearing it though, because wearing something associated with any martial art sooner or later results in someone challenging your fighting abilities. Sure it's a bit of a dick move to wear that stuff out and around like it's a piece of fashionable clothing, thinking you're the toughest guy in the room...but the people who wear that stuff tend to find the consequences out pretty quickly when just about everyone in a public place who wants to fight goes for them, especially when alcohol is involved.
Don't be too harsh on the douchbags, they'll get what's coming to them. The ones who know what they're doing will get a chance to prove it. The ones who don't will get the message and stop wearing shirts which make them feel macho, and will go back to wearing clothing which results in NOT getting their faces punched. Nothing says "cause me bodily harm" to intoxicated angry men like some visibly unfit, cocky, underweight or overweight guy wearing a Tapout/Venum/Affliction/etc shirt when going to a pub, club or bar.

I watched UFC 127 live today in a pub, sure there's gonna be a few people wearing MMA merchandise which suggests they know how to perform a Peruvian necktie. But some are genuinely skilled. There were a few local martial arts academies which were being represented, and a few mates of mine there who chose to wear that sort of stuff have extensive kickboxing, boxing and muay thai experience, for example.

Wearing that crap is just another form of chest-beating for those without practical experience, while others who live and breathe MMA either wear it all the time and don't think about it, or wear non-mma related clothing and go under the aggressive drunk radar, for the most part.

UFC 127 was good. All fights were entertaining and interesting.

NecroSamist

Necrophagist fanboy
Reaction score
Anyone one else ready for 129? I'm really intrigued by the Machida/Couture fight. Cant really call that one, it should be good tho. Looking forward to GSP/Shields as well.

mhickman2

The Abiding Dude
Reaction score
I'm thinking between the couture vs. machida fight their takedowns and takedown defenses are going to pretty much cancel eachother out. I'm picking machida because of his elusiveness and explosiveness in his ju jitzu. Randy definitely has the advantage against the cage because of his dirty boxing. Getting Machida there will be his biggest challenge.

Shields vs. GSP, I'm picking GSP. The guy is probably the most technically and mentally sound guy in MMA. He has no holes. The only way I see GSP losing that fight is by knockout.

heineken_fretwalker

Team Ibanez
Reaction score
I've boycotted ordering GSP PPV's unless there are at least two more interesting fights on the card because I know that the GSP fight will be five rounds of takedowns and him controlling the fight. While he is a technically superb fighter, that shit bores me.

Speaking of technically superb fighters, how long do you guys think Jon Jones can hang on to that belt? Honestly I've never seen anything like him. He combines elite wrestling talent like GSP has, but with even better striking. He made Shogun look absolutely silly, and I think he's going to kill Rashad.

TheSixthWheel

bangetzit
Reaction score
I know 129 is held in Toronto, but jesus - it's basically Canada VS USA being that out of the 24 fighters on the card, the only non CAN/USA fighters are Lyoto Machida, Jose Aldo and Vladimir Matyushenko :eek:

Anyone one else ready for 129? I'm really intrigued by the Machida/Couture fight. Cant really call that one, it should be good tho. Looking forward to GSP/Shields as well.

Tough to call, they're both so seasoned but with strengths in different areas, who the hell knows how that's going to go down?

Shields vs. GSP, I'm picking GSP. The guy is probably the most technically and mentally sound guy in MMA. He has no holes. The only way I see GSP losing that fight is by knockout.

Agreed, I just hope this is an exciting fight to watch. Shields' striking is great, but GSP's skills make him a more balanced fighter. Again, could be anyone's guess.

I've boycotted ordering GSP PPV's unless there are at least two more interesting fights on the card because I know that the GSP fight will be five rounds of takedowns and him controlling the fight. While he is a technically superb fighter, that shit bores me.

There's no heavy or even light heavy fights on the card, that might be an influencing factor too.

Speaking of technically superb fighters, how long do you guys think Jon Jones can hang on to that belt? Honestly I've never seen anything like him. He combines elite wrestling talent like GSP has, but with even better striking. He made Shogun look absolutely silly, and I think he's going to kill Rashad.

I think Jones is young and inexperienced, but not necessarily in a bad way. We'll only see him get better from here. He definitely made Shogun look amateurish and will undoubtedly walk through Rashad. But the sport is absolutely crazy - new elite fighters are coming out of the woodwork all the time. All it's gonna take is a slightly lankier and heavier Diego Sanchez, someone hellbent on victory.

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
I loved Machida's victory, especially being the 2nd after Silva so recently to KO by front kick.

GSP/Shields was pretty boring due to how well matched they were. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens in Silva's next fight and to see if he and GSP are brought together. GSP will need to be given a chance to bulk slowly, though. Don't want to lose GSP's character as a fighter.

Jones is certainly talented, as much as I hate that word. I do think he's a little too reckless but maybe that's what UFC needs to shake people up a bit. He seems like he could be like an unpolished Anderson Silva. We'll see!

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Hendo just got him men!!!
edit; Dan Henderson just whooped (first round KO) FEDOR, wow, thats how I wish all mma fights would pace.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Was this a fight night event?

Strikeforce on Showtime, although after this victory you can expect to see Dan Henderson back in the thick in UFC real soon.:hbang:

Also tonight the Brazzillians just kicked our ass all over the place.
Silva wins.
Big Nog wins.
Rua wins.

All 3 headliners went to the Brazillians.