The .strandberg* Thread

• Thread starter Rook
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, the new J Artisan line is pretty hideous. I'm (almost) sure they play well, but they look terrible.

They did post this on Instagram tho, which I found interesting:

At first I thought it might have been a Jacob Collier 5-string sig, but I seem to count 6 strings AND see straight frets (or a straight bridge at least)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Yeah, the new J Artisan line is pretty hideous. I'm (almost) sure they play well, but they look terrible.

At first I thought it might have been a Jacob Collier 5-string sig, but I seem to count 6 strings AND see straight frets (or a straight bridge at least)

It's not just another resq? Typically when strandberg's promising a new groundbreaking thing these days, it's a new color.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score

That might be a Varberg

But also I have basically two Stranberg related interests left and that's one of them

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Even if it's a varberg, it's obviously the multi-wood ply build that was the whole concept behind that guitar.

lattjeful

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think you're right, actually. Straight scale, doesn't have the NX knobs. The bridge is blurred so it will likely have the cheaper one piece bridge from the cheap RAS6 model.
If that's the case, I wonder why it took them so long. The RAS6 has existed for a while, so it's not like they didn't have a budget guitar. One of the biggest knocks on Strandberg is their pricing (relative to the QC, anyway...)

I know the Classics and the Standards kinda started out as that, but then they kinda morphed into their own thing.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
If that's the case, I wonder why it took them so long. The RAS6 has existed for a while, so it's not like they didn't have a budget guitar. One of the biggest knocks on Strandberg is their pricing (relative to the QC, anyway...)

I know the Classics and the Standards kinda started out as that, but then they kinda morphed into their own thing.
Yeah, like I assume that's the appeal of the RESQD. I wouldn't spend £1700 on a Strandberg, but £1200 doesn't seem so bad.

So maybe these will be a permanent option around that mark.

It's amazing we're in a world where Strandberg makes budget guitars with nothing specifically ergonomic and Rick Toone is making posh strat copies.

AltecGreen

Reaction score
Strandberg Japan posted this earlier this week.

"The Swedish .strandberg* Futur series is produced in small numbers, so it is likely to be limited in Japan, but we are planning to introduce it. Please look forward to the return of Swedish-made products after a long time "

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, like I assume that's the appeal of the RESQD. I wouldn't spend £1700 on a Strandberg, but £1200 doesn't seem so bad.

So maybe these will be a permanent option around that mark.

It's amazing we're in a world where Strandberg makes budget guitars with nothing specifically ergonomic and Rick Toone is making posh strat copies.
Imagine if strandberg comes out with a budget line with straight frets, a normal bridge, and no endurneck to save on costs. WHAT A PROBLEM. :lol: I might consider one, depending on how "budget" they actually are, and use it as a mod platform/couch potato guitar. My Boden 8 is great to play on the couch, but the neck is beefy as hell and I have to spend an arm and a leg in replacement pickups if I want to upgrade it.

Strandberg Japan posted this earlier this week.

"The Swedish .strandberg* Futur series is produced in small numbers, so it is likely to be limited in Japan, but we are planning to introduce it. Please look forward to the return of Swedish-made products after a long time "
The only thing I find interesting about the Futur series is the Tom Anderson neck joint. Ball end frets hardly warrant the premium they're asking for, though they sure look pretty, especially on those drunk TT frets.

lattjeful

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Imagine if strandberg comes out with a budget line with straight frets, a normal bridge, and no endurneck to save on costs. WHAT A PROBLEM. :lol: I might consider one, depending on how "budget" they actually are, and use it as a mod platform/couch potato guitar. My Boden 8 is great to play on the couch, but the neck is beefy as hell and I have to spend an arm and a leg in replacement pickups if I want to upgrade it.

The only thing I find interesting about the Futur series is the Tom Anderson neck joint. Ball end frets hardly warrant the premium they're asking for, though they sure look pretty, especially on those drunk TT frets.
Yeah I wouldn't mind the lack of multiscale, but if they have no Endurneck, then what's the point? It's probably gonna be more expensive than the Ibanez Quest line so I'd much rather pick up one of those if Strandberg skips the Endurneck.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score

Yeah, echoing lattjeful. As a long time Strandberg advocate and player, the brand just doesn't have an identity since closing the M2M shop. They're not much different to any other guitar out there at this point and there's lots of competition in their space, so removing the last few Strandberg TM things is disappointing.

I'm going to get a resqd at some point and do some very intense modifications, like a replacement neck and Lundgrens. Resqd because it's the cheapest option when throwing away the neck, but no matter what these turn out to be it'll be a worse option for my project.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I wouldn't mind the lack of multiscale, but if they have no Endurneck, then what's the point? It's probably gonna be more expensive than the Ibanez Quest line so I'd much rather pick up one of those if Strandberg skips the Endurneck.
Yeah, echoing lattjeful. As a long time Strandberg advocate and player, the brand just doesn't have an identity since closing the M2M shop. They're not much different to any other guitar out there at this point and there's lots of competition in their space, so removing the last few Strandberg TM things is disappointing.

I'm going to get a resqd at some point and do some very intense modifications, like a replacement neck and Lundgrens. Resqd because it's the cheapest option when throwing away the neck, but no matter what these turn out to be it'll be a worse option for my project.

I see why you're saying that, and I actually kind of agree. However, I just happen to really like the body shape, both aesthetically and especially ergonomically. That is, to me, what Ola did best. Sure, I could always get a cheaper copy or knock-off, but strandberg has done it best so far. The only thing that I'd do differently with it (and only to make more ergonomic to my body and the way I play) is to have a sliiightly bigger forearm rest area. It would look kinda funky though, so I can live with the way it currently is without a problem.

I know a lot of people swear by the endurneck, and I'm sure it works for them. I just can't help but feel like he found a neck shape that solved a problem for people with a combination of hand shape and technique that is not fully representative of all guitarists, so he used that as his "N=1 study" to market it to the masses. Now that I have lived with an endurneck for over 2 years, I can say I'd appreciate it if they at least offered the option of a more rounded neck shape. I don't completely hate it, but I am sure not in love with it. I don't think the shape needs to go away by any means, I do believe people when they say they find it super comfortable, but giving an alternative to people who like everything else about the guitars would be nice.

A brand does need to maintain an image and offer a unique vision, but Ola seems hellbent on delivering a marketing message that claims the endurneck is better for everyone so... this is what you get, people telling you "no, it doesn't do it for me. Do it like this instead!" because the product doesn't align with the message. :lol:
Besides, I'm ultimately looking after my own interests here, not strandberg's, so give me a neck I like with the QC I want and the pricepoint I want damnit! :lol:

EDIT: and on fanned frets, I do like the fanned frets, with their pros and cons. I just don't find much of a use for them in 6 strings. Sure, they look cool on 6 strings, I just don't think it matters as much there, so I won't miss them too much if it means a lower price point. I also see the point of branding when it comes to strandberg's relationship with fanned frets though, but hey... I guess something's gotta give.

lattjeful

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I see why you're saying that, and I actually kind of agree. However, I just happen to really like the body shape, both aesthetically and especially ergonomically. That is, to me, what Ola did best. Sure, I could always get a cheaper copy or knock-off, but strandberg has done it best so far. The only thing that I'd do differently with it (and only to make more ergonomic to my body and the way I play) is to have a sliiightly bigger forearm rest area. It would look kinda funky though, so I can live with the way it currently is without a problem.

I know a lot of people swear by the endurneck, and I'm sure it works for them. I just can't help but feel like he found a neck shape that solved a problem for people with a (at least not fully) combination of hand shape and technique, so he used that as his "N=1 study" to market it to the masses. Now that I have lived with an endurneck for over 2 years, I can say I'd appreciate it if they at least offered the option of a more rounded neck shape. I don't completely hate it, but I am sure not in love with it. I don't think the shape needs to go away by any means, I do believe people when they say they find it super comfortable, but giving an alternative to people who like everything else about the guitars would be nice.

A brand does need to maintain an image and offer a unique vision, but Ola seems hellbent on delivering a marketing message that claims the endurneck is better for everyone so... this is what you get, people telling you "no, it doesn't do it for me. Do it like this instead!" because the product doesn't align with the message. :lol:
Besides, I'm ultimately looking after my own interests here, not strandberg's, so give me a neck I like with the QC I want and the pricepoint I want damnit! :lol:
Oh don't get me wrong, I love the Strandberg body shape. It's super comfy. I def agree on wanting a rounded off Endurneck (I think Per Nilsson's models have a thinner and rounder Endurneck?), but generally speaking, not having any sort of Endurneck at the price point these are likely to be at ($1k or so is my guess) would be a huge waste. Outside of the body shape, it's like the reason to go with a Berg over a Kiesel or a Quest or something.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Oh don't get me wrong, I love the Strandberg body shape. It's super comfy. I def agree on wanting a rounded off Endurneck (I think Per Nilsson's models have a thinner and rounder Endurneck?), but generally speaking, not having any sort of Endurneck at the price point these are likely to be at ($1k or so is my guess) would be a huge waste. Outside of the body shape, it's like the reason to go with a Berg over a Kiesel or a Quest or something.
Yeah, I've always been curious about the Per Nilsson models. Maybe it's a mod I can do on my own guitar, but I'd be scared of making it worse :lol: would love to try one of those.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score

I know a lot of people swear by the endurneck, and I'm sure it works for them. I just can't help but feel like he found a neck shape that solved a problem for people with a combination of hand shape and technique that is not fully representative of all guitarists, so he used that as his "N=1 study" to market it to the masses. Now that I have lived with an endurneck for over 2 years, I can say I'd appreciate it if they at least offered the option of a more rounded neck shape. I don't completely hate it, but I am sure not in love with it. I don't think the shape needs to go away by any means, I do believe people when they say they find it super comfortable, but giving an alternative to people who like everything else about the guitars would be nice.

EDIT: and on fanned frets, I do like the fanned frets, with their pros and cons. I just don't find much of a use for them in 6 strings. Sure, they look cool on 6 strings, I just don't think it matters as much there, so I won't miss them too much if it means a lower price point. I also see the point of branding when it comes to strandberg's relationship with fanned frets though, but hey... I guess something's gotta give.
The 6 and 7 string Endurneck really works for me. The 8 is just all wrong geometrically around the low frets. I think it needs to be a little bit thinner or something, though I don't know if that's happened in the... decade since I got mine.

The shape is definitely the best current headless shape though (Varberg excluded).

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
The 6 and 7 string Endurneck really works for me. The 8 is just all wrong geometrically around the low frets. I think it needs to be a little bit thinner or something, though I don't know if that's happened in the... decade since I got mine.

The shape is definitely the best current headless shape though (Varberg excluded).
I have heard that as well. I find it super beefy. I'll measure it next time I change the strings (which should be soon for that guitar), but I've found online that the thickness at the first fret is something like 22.6 mm. As I remember, the neck shape is proportionally the same as the 6 and 7 string variants. Like nothing special was done to accommodate the wider neck as far as I can tell (though I may be wrong). For that reason alone I'd love to try the Per Nilsson profile.

I guess my perspective comes from the 8-string endurneck, since it's what I have. The only times I played the 6 and 7 string endurnecks was when I was shopping around for my strandberg, but I was dead set on a lightweight 8-string (and still am... hence the Oni) so I only got maybe an hour of collective playtime between all the 6s and 7s I tried. I had also never played an endurneck prior to that point so it all happened a little too fast. Took me a few months to really form an opinion on that neck shape.

Like I said though, if this is indeed a budget line, and it ends up being a decent price... I may consider a 6-string even with an endurneck. Something tells me it would be the same price point as a RESQ:D, except available at any time and also internationally. (I have seen none of the Canadian strandberg retailers carry any of them.)

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
I have heard that as well. I find it super beefy. I'll measure it next time I change the strings (which should be soon for that guitar), but I've found online that the thickness at the first fret is something like 22.6 mm. As I remember, the neck shape is proportionally the same as the 6 and 7 string variants. Like nothing special was done to accommodate the wider neck as far as I can tell (though I may be wrong). For that reason alone I'd love to try the Per Nilsson profile.

I guess my perspective comes from the 8-string endurneck, since it's what I have. The only times I played the 6 and 7 string endurnecks was when I was shopping around for my strandberg, but I was dead set on a lightweight 8-string (and still am... hence the Oni) so I only got maybe an hour of collective playtime between all the 6s and 7s I tried. I had also never played an endurneck prior to that point so it all happened a little too fast. Took me a few months to really form an opinion on that neck shape.

Like I said though, if this is indeed a budget line, and it ends up being a decent price... I may consider a 6-string even with an endurneck. Something tells me it would be the same price point as a RESQ:D, except available at any time and also internationally. (I have seen none of the Canadian strandberg retailers carry any of them.)
Pretty sure the resqd stuff is only direct through their website.

Robslalaina

Reaction score
Outside of the body shape, it's like the reason to go with a Berg over a Kiesel or a Quest or something.
I don't care about the Endurneck at all, or fanned frets, but wouldn't mind a Strandberg because it's headless so it's small, and some of them have trems. Kiesel is not as simple/convenient an alternative in Europe because what do you do if/when they fuck it up? Not taking a chance. I'd buy a Quest with a trem but Ibanez don't seem to care...