The .strandberg* Thread

• Thread starter Rook
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Waiting on the MTM list. FOR. E. VER. What's the deal with requesting a wood that Ola and the gang wouldn't just have laying around? I'm sure it has been discussed in here but 37 pages.....

Like what? I went out and found quilt maple that I thought was more suitable than what was in stock. I actually prefer that now - better to use wood you think is 5A than what other people say is 5A just to prevent any costly misunderstandings. And that's definitely the redeeming quality on #60 vs. what you could get through Washburn these days - that top is super nice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MemphisHawk

Reaction score
I found a small outfit that has a license to harvest the dead trees/burls of a particular endangered species. I know it sounds ridiculous but I'm just going full tilt when I get the call.

They only sell it in these coffee table sized sections though@ 3 inches thick and I would just love not to have to pay to ship something like that around the world. In my head, I feel like they could get anything that I could find though their own channels, but I'm looking for enlightenment.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I feel like redwood, buckeye, poplar, and olive ash are the only burls worth going for, regardless of rarity. But yea, if your wood has been properly cut and treated I don't think it's a problem to send it to Ola. Well, if it's endangered, you need the CITES in the delivery.

SevenStringJones

Oh Billy
Reaction score
If anyone else wants to get in on it, there is still about 3 weeks to commit to a deposit!

- - - - USA Custom Shop Strandberg Group Run - - - -
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1564289893818464/

I'm already in on that run. Some specs for those wondering include koa top, birdseye or ebony board, cocobolo/rosewood neck. Those are free upgrades as of now btw. Still working on deciding body wood options and pickups.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
I'm already in on that run. Some specs for those wondering include koa top, birdseye or ebony board, cocobolo/rosewood neck. Those are free upgrades as of now btw. Still working on deciding body wood options and pickups.

Yowza.

Applied for group just to see what the hell the details are :ugh:

Mehnike

SS.org Peruser
Reaction score
Waiting on the MTM list. FOR. E. VER. What's the deal with requesting a wood that Ola and the gang wouldn't just have laying around? I'm sure it has been discussed in here but 37 pages.....
Ola gave me the minimum dimensions he needed to make a top and I searched and wound up finding a $400 piece of burl wood online. The dealer was in Oregon. Ola ordered it months in advance so it would have time to acclimate to his environment. He did shoot me many possible options though from various online sources and pieces he had available. I requested to have scrap from the piece as I had payed in full for it, and he was okay with that.

Once he had milled and book-matched the top, I requested to see different variations and he sent me 5 of the best layouts in his opinion. He placed a piece of wood with the body shape cut out of it as to easily visualize what would make it on the body. I think you shouldn't have a problem getting what you want for your top wood.

You can always try to request specific cuts of wood you find online or in person through a dealer, but generally Ola does not provide pictures of the body/ neck/ fretboard wood you choose. From blog posts I have read, it all should be very quality cuts amongst whatever species he is willing to use.

Purelojik

Reaction score
Oregon Wild Wood sources some really sweet stuff, too :yesway:

they do but have been photoshopping the shit outta their thumbnails and preview pics. i stopped buying from them because one or two tops i've received didnt look nearly as they showed. its quite annoying because they have wonderful service.

MemphisHawk

Reaction score
Ola gave me the minimum dimensions he needed to make a top and I searched and wound up finding a $400 piece of burl wood online. The dealer was in Oregon. Ola ordered it months in advance so it would have time to acclimate to his environment. He did shoot me many possible options though from various online sources and pieces he had available. I requested to have scrap from the piece as I had payed in full for it, and he was okay with that.

Once he had milled and book-matched the top, I requested to see different variations and he sent me 5 of the best layouts in his opinion. He placed a piece of wood with the body shape cut out of it as to easily visualize what would make it on the body. I think you shouldn't have a problem getting what you want for your top wood.

You can always try to request specific cuts of wood you find online or in person through a dealer, but generally Ola does not provide pictures of the body/ neck/ fretboard wood you choose. From blog posts I have read, it all should be very quality cuts amongst whatever species he is willing to use.

Thank you very much for that rundown. Very helpful info!

eugeneelgr

Reaction score
So...whose MTM is under construction now? Progress pics perhaps??

(Waiting on #67)

Inceptic

Reaction score
If anyone else wants to get in on it, there is still about 3 weeks to commit to a deposit!

- - - - USA Custom Shop Strandberg Group Run - - - -
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1564289893818464/

I see almost 500 people have joined the FB group. So the advantage of joining the run is getting all the upgrades for free? Does that include the limba body option and the Sentient/Pegasus pickups? All those options seem to total about $545, so that translates to ~15% discount on the regular price. Would that be correct? Are there any other benefits?

SevenStringJones

Oh Billy
Reaction score
I see almost 500 people have joined the FB group. So the advantage of joining the run is getting all the upgrades for free? Does that include the limba body option and the Sentient/Pegasus pickups? All those options seem to total about $545, so that translates to ~15% discount on the regular price. Would that be correct? Are there any other benefits?

Yes, the advantage is the free upgrades and it now includes your choice of ash or limba body and the Duncans. Another benefit is the reduced deposit, only $650 I believe, and they're also working on getting the final price down. The group is also trying to decide between black and gold hardware at the moment.

Inceptic

Reaction score
Yes, the advantage is the free upgrades and it now includes your choice of ash or limba body and the Duncans. Another benefit is the reduced deposit, only $650 I believe, and they're also working on getting the final price down. The group is also trying to decide between black and gold hardware at the moment.

Very tempting to say the least!

Agreed, its like a cross between flamed and burl, which doesn't appeal to me at all. I think bigger companies like PRS have purchasing power and connections to get the most pure and figured woods that allude smaller companies.

You mean elude, right? ;)

But yeah, that top is very ugly.

ikarus

Reaction score
Agreed, its like a cross between flamed and burl, which doesn't appeal to me at all. I think bigger companies like PRS have purchasing power and connections to get the most pure and figured woods that allude smaller companies.

IMHO thats not true. There are always nice woods left. Even one man shops are able to source beautiful pieces. VIK, Rusti, etc for example
I hope they don't use this "PRS gets all the nice woods" as an excuse.

It's made clear on the site that this is a "B" stock:

The figure in the top of this Custom Shop Boden 7 does not meet our regular requirements. Available for immediate shipping.

... but we still want 3k for it! :lol:

MrTeatime

Reaction score
IMHO thats not true. There are always nice woods left. Even one man shops are able to source beautiful pieces. VIK, Rusti, etc for example
I hope they don't use this "PRS gets all the nice woods" as an excuse.
But bigger shops need consistent quality and bigger quantities. It's easy to source a few nice boards, harder to source lots of them

... but we still want 3k for it! :lol:

My point, exactly... I wouldn't buy a guitar with a top like that, except if the guitar is reeeeeaaaaaally great and reaaaaaally cheap
They should sand/fill the strandberg logo and sell it for much cheaper. Those kind of things hurt a brand's name/reputation IMHO