The .strandberg* Thread

• Thread starter Rook
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crackout

The Yellow One
Reaction score
I have to say, a six string Varberg with fan in both directions and angled pickups is pretty cool. I also like the brown, white, black combination of body woods.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

littleredguitars2

green canaries
Reaction score
yeah they didnt really say what fan size for each model though. part of me doubts it'll be anything other than the 25.5 to 25 on the 6's. which is unlike the photo.

cubix

Spring of 86
Reaction score
While the Varberg is a cool guitar i REALLY love the drawing Ola did of the Varberg Bass. Such a beautiful shape and appeals to me more than the original Varberg. I hope this doesn't end up only as a sketch, this would definately work as a guitar body aswell... Fantastic!

Screenshot-2015-02-22-17.17.30.png

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Not a bad starting point at all! Seems like a step up from the boden bass.

olejason

Reaction score
Those specs look pretty terrible. It seems like all the "designed by a Facebook group" guitars turn into a gaudy Keisel style mess.

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
The black/green/purple have potential, but yea -- it needs a maple board or similar. What makes Skervesen and Kiesels often so cringe is this weird desire to go over the top on every single part of the instrument. No thought to balance, just every piece of wood as busy as possible. Sad to see it here as well -- Ziricote board not a good choice for burl tops on a minimalist instrument.

I think there is a sentiment that the more exotic each component is, the better the whole guitar. It's almost like there is an arms race to ensure each component of a custom shop guitar is spec'd "upwards" as far as possible.

Fretboard Heirarchy:
Brazilian Titanium Magic Wood > Ziricote > Ebony > Rosewood/Maple

It's resulted in a lot of guitars being, in my opinion, really gawdy. As you mentioned, there isn't a coherent design. There's no emphasis on one "star" component. With these crazy burls, you need neutral components to emphasize the burl. Some of the Kiesels with stained everything are more interesting as an exercise in guitar finishing than being actually attractive instruments.

Casper777

Slow Player
Reaction score
I think there is a sentiment that the more exotic each component is, the better the whole guitar. It's almost like there is an arms race to ensure each component of a custom shop guitar is spec'd "upwards" as far as possible.

Fretboard Heirarchy:

It's resulted in a lot of guitars being, in my opinion, really gawdy. As you mentioned, there isn't a coherent design. There's no emphasis on one "star" component. With these crazy burls, you need neutral components to emphasize the burl. Some of the Kiesels with stained everything are more interesting as an exercise in guitar finishing than being actually attractive instruments.

^^^ well said!

ramses

Guitar/pizza regular
Contributor
Reaction score

Fretboard Heirarchy:

I was hoping for a flame maple top and ebony fretboard. In particular since the top will have a satin finish. Maybe next time.

blacai

Reaction score
Final specs for the WG run:
6 strings Price($)1400 deposit+2595
-Your choice of color (options listed below)
-Poplar burl top (free upgrade)
-Roasted maple neck (free upgrade)
-Mahogany/Swamp ash body
-Ziricote fretboard (free upgrade)
-25″ to 25.5″ scale length
-Stainless steel frets
-Fishman Fluence pickups
-Hardtail
-Glow in the dark Luminlay side dots
-16″ to 20″ compound radius
-Special aluminium knobs
-Chambered core
-Satin finish
-Cases included

7 strings
Price($)1400 deposit+2695
-Your choice of color (options listed below)
-Poplar burl top (free upgrade)
-Roasted maple neck (free upgrade)
-Mahogany/Swamp ash body
-Ziricote fretboard (free upgrade)
-25″ to 25.75″ scale length
-Stainless steel frets
-Fishman Fluence pickups
-Hardtail
-Glow in the dark Luminlay side dots
-16″ to 20″ compound radius
-Special aluminium knobs
-Chambered core
-Satin finish
-Cases included
Varbergs-1.jpg

xzacx

Reaction score
I was considering one, because I think the Varburg is a super cool shape. But I'm only interested in a 6, so fanned frets kill that as 1, they're unnecessary since I don't tune down, and 2, I hate how strandberg does the parallel fret at the first fret on 6s. But after seeing the top wood and those finishes, I'm not even disappointed now. I would have even taken natural, but as many people have said, these specs look straight out of the Kiesel school of design.

MSUspartans777

Reaction score
The specs look crazy. I can't believe they group will have enough people throwing down almost 4 grand.

Despite my reservations, I can't wait to see what these turn out like.

jemfloral

Reaction score
I hate how strandberg does the parallel fret at the first fret on 6s.

Same here. My suggestion to strandberg on their survey was to make a line of guitars where the perpendicular fret is in the same location on the neck across 6,7 and 8 eight string models. That way you could move from one to the other without much adjustment/thought. For me personally, I prefer it being the same configuration as the OS7 (which I believe is the 9th fret on the 25.5"-26.25" neck).

Inceptic

Reaction score
Compared to the previous koaberg run, the response to this varberg run seems mostly apathetic. I'd be surprised if they even sell 10 of these.

The 1

Reaction score
Any of you have any idea what the current turnaround time for the M2M waitlist is?
I figure it's probably something ridiculous but I'm still curious.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
Since this run is coming out of the M2M factory, then that means that the builds of other customers (who have been waiting for months and/or years thus far) are going to be pushed back further.

That doesn't seem right.

Of course, this is all dependent on if any of those ugly Varbergs sell. And it doesn't look like any are going to. My theory regarding the massive flaw in WG's tactic of polling the community (specifically polling individuals without the money and who are not going to buy) now holds true. Deposits should be required in order to vote on specs because it proves who is serious about purchasing, and it will ensure that the actual buyers get specs that they want while still making compromises for everyone involved. (The issue with this is that people aren't going to want to put down money on something that they know nothing about. Not one single spec until they vote.)

Any of you have any idea what the current turnaround time for the M2M waitlist is?
I figure it's probably something ridiculous but I'm still curious.
3-4 years I what I last heard. Ola said that the bottleneck to the Swedish M2M shop is that he (Ola) has to be present. I find this odd to say since the shop seems to operating just fine building without him present. Either way, if that is the case, the wait time could be 5 years.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Since this run is coming out of the M2M factory, then that means that the builds of other customers (who have been waiting for months and/or years thus far) are going to be pushed back further.

That doesn't seem right.

It's only pushing it back the same as N number of custom shop orders. There's 2 queues: custom shop and M2M. They don't overlap.

eugeneelgr

Reaction score
It's only pushing it back the same as N number of custom shop orders. There's 2 queues: custom shop and M2M. They don't overlap.

IIRC it's the same team that's building both custom shop and m2m orders, unless there is a different "elite" department within the team itself that has been delegated to only handle the M2M orders, which again seems highly probable as a way to have a neat workflow.

Are there many on here still placing orders/waiting on M2Ms though? Let's hear some specs/mockups!