The Veil Of Maya Superultramegathread!

• Thread starter JosephAOI
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

QuantumCybin

Lost In Thought
Reaction score
Yeah, Common Man's Collapse and [id] are both just killer albums. So aggressive. Can't comment on Matriarch as I haven't listened to it yet.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
I've seen a few people state that their new vocalist doesn't sound like Spencer Sotelo. My question is this:

What the fuck are you smoking on?

Not to discredit him in any way, but he sounds nearly identical in some sections.

GiveUpGuitar

Give Up the Goods!
Reaction score
I've seen a few people state that their new vocalist doesn't sound like Spencer Sotelo. My question is this:

Not to discredit him in any way, but he sounds nearly identical in some sections.

This. There are so many areas that they sound the exact same.

sojourner

Reaction score

I'm a fan of Spencer's singing, but honestly VoM's new vocalist sound a lot more like Jonny Craig (Emarosa/Dance Gavin Dance) than anything by Spencer:

Jonny Craig:

I don't know how to explain it accurately, but both Jonny and Lucas Magyar has similar "contemporary r&b" or "soul" style singing which Spencer doesn't do:

Sorry for the long, over-excited reply

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score

What are these "some sections" then? I'd like reference points because I don't hear it either, similar styles but to say they sound exactly the same makes me wonder if you're smoking something yourself :lol:

molsoncanadian

Crunchy Riff, Eh?
Reaction score
pouting-child-girl.jpg

Haha, Jonathan give it a rest buddy. You don't need to hop in every time someone makes a comment on the vocals :lol:

You, as I take it, enjoy the album, and that's all that matters. I'm happy for ya:wavey:

On another note, while I loved TCMC and id, this seems like more bland "already been done before" reach that teeny demographic music IMO. Shame, but Ill live on!

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
What are these "some sections" then? I'd like reference points because I don't hear it either, similar styles but to say they sound exactly the same makes me wonder if you're smoking something yourself :lol:

The entire song of Aeris sounds like it belongs on PII.

SeditiousDissent

i drove bus
Reaction score
The entire song of Aeris sounds like it belongs on PII.

Haha yeah, I can totally see how you would draw that parallel. The end of that track would fit right in on The Contortionist's Language. I happen to enjoy both of those records, so I'm not complaining.

MetalheadMC

Reaction score
[=MikeH;4377997]I've seen a few people state that their new vocalist doesn't sound like Spencer Sotelo. My question is this:

Not to discredit him in any way, but he sounds nearly identical in some sections.[/QUOTE]

And this is why I can't stand this new album, and basically why I've never been able to enjoy periphery. Yes I believe they are talented, but I just can't stand that style of clean vocals at all. Oh well. I'll just enjoy the old VoM like some others

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Haha, Jonathan give it a rest buddy. You don't need to hop in every time someone makes a comment on the vocals :lol:

You, as I take it, enjoy the album, and that's all that matters. I'm happy for ya:wavey:

On another note, while I loved TCMC and id, this seems like more bland "already been done before" reach that teeny demographic music IMO. Shame, but Ill live on!

It's a discussion board, unless I'm out of line for promoting discussion? :spock:

I actually do enjoy the album quite a bit, it isn't too much to ask for some more information when someone makes a statement as broad as that? I've loved everything this band has put out, including the current album and I feel like it stands on it's own. Just how everyone evolves in their own musical tastes, musicians do as well and they don't play or write the same kind of music forever.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
I haven't listened to any VOM much before beside their single videos but 1:45+ in this song sounds very like Periphery/Spencer to me.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
I can actually hear that, there's quite a few similarities there. I guess I just never noticed when I listen through it lol.

I'm mainly jamming Teleute/Pheonix/Lisbeth/350/Ellie/Mikasa/Daeneyrs

molsoncanadian

Crunchy Riff, Eh?
Reaction score
It's a discussion board, unless I'm out of line for promoting discussion? :spock:

Calling vocals like these whiney and "emo", is as cringe worthy as someone calling any sort of heavy music with screaming vocals "screamo", or categorizing it all as Death Metal.

If they were trying to appeal to a mass audience and have the interest reciprocate financially, they wouldn't be playing metal at all. Or instead just go the way In This Moment went in recent years.

I think anyone making an immediate comparison to them needs to diversify their musical tastes a bit.

I'm not upset I just think it's a narrow minded comparison to make.

"Singing was singing", what when people couldn't hold a tune and had close to no range in their voices? The fact that you're pigeon holding vocals in the higher register as "emo kid whining" is a showcase of ignorance in and of itself. And whichever way you look at it, it was going to be a big deal because people don't like change, and it was going to be blown out of proportion by the "loyal" fans and people who hate them. It was mostly blogs and metal news pages making a large deal about them having a vocalist who pulls off cleans as well as screams.

What are these "some sections" then? I'd like reference points because I don't hear it either, similar styles but to say they sound exactly the same makes me wonder if you're smoking something yourself

:spock:

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
You're not exactly progressing the conversation, but if you have a gripe with me dude feel free to message me. I'm not here poke at others, you obviously don't agree with me :lol:

ayaotd

Reaction score
I have liked Veil for several years. I was afraid of the cleans but have to say I really enjoy the album. Some of the songs are really powerful. Tons better than Eclipse. I'm hoping they come to Ottawa again!

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe I'm crazy but I keep getting a Killswitch Engage does djent/whateverthefvckyoucallmoderncore vibe from a lot of these tracks :lol:

that short guy

Reaction score
I feel like they spent a lot of time listening to ATB and BOO because I can hear a lot of elements that are similar to those bands on the new album. All in all I really like it, I feel like it's the closest thing they've done that sounds like actual song writing and doing what's best for the song as opposed to juts being really technical and just putting a lot of cool riffs together that flow decently.

Slunk Dragon

Gear Nerder
Reaction score
After listening to this album and digesting it a bit, I've grown to like it significantly.

Yeah, some of the songs are a bit unusual for your normal Veil of Maya fare, but honestly there are enough tracks here to also tell me that VoM isn't going to turn into a radio-friendly pony any time soon. They're still who they are, but honestly the variety this album has is something that I am kind of glad to hear, because monotony is just one step away from boredom.

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
Yeah, after quite a few more listens, I really really like this album. It reminds me a lot of TCMC & id era Veil. Teleute for example feels almost like a newer, more polished It's Torn Away. Leeloo and Phoenix also definitely remind me of the more vivid, punchy, old school Veil riffs.