The Veil Of Maya Superultramegathread!

• Thread starter JosephAOI
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
It's a great album. I'm really looking forward to their show here in a couple of weeks with Revocation... I want to see which of the new tunes make it onto the setlist and how they play live.

Maybe I'm crazy but I keep getting a Killswitch Engage does djent/whateverthefvckyoucallmoderncore vibe from a lot of these tracks :lol:

nothing wrong with that, IMO. This is closer to the vibe I thought djent would go towards until it got heavily contaminated by prog :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

-One-

Not So Kool-Aid
Reaction score
Sorry dude, I call BS on that view. God forbid the guy use backing tracks if he can play the material. When the album stuff has 3+ guitar tracks on every song, plus alot of ambient stuff, I'd rather put what I physically can't play on my mac and play a show that sounds just like an album because I'd feel like the audience would be missing the full effect of the song that I wrote. They can afford a decent stage rack setup, so why shouldn't they use it to add more to their live mix, on top of the awesome show they already put on?
I'm not saying playing to backing tracks is bad, my band does it. That said, when we use a backing track, we don't put lead guitar parts on it. We put rhythm parts on it, and both guitarists play the lead parts. That is not what Marc has been doing since Eclipse dropped. I know for a fact that Marc is capable of playing all of the leads in Unbreakable, because I've seen him do it less than ten feet from me, but that doesn't excuse him choosing to play the chugs under the leads, and having the leads prerecorded. That's just plain lazy. I don't know how he doesn't get bored letting a computer play so many of his leads and just chugging along to it.

molsoncanadian

Crunchy Riff, Eh?
Reaction score
You're not exactly progressing the conversation, but if you have a gripe with me dude feel free to message me. I'm not here poke at others, you obviously don't agree with me

Haha, Okay! I wont bother you anymore when you defend every comment made regarding vocals. Fill your boots buddy!:hbang:

It's a great album. I'm really looking forward to their show here in a couple of weeks with Revocation... I want to see which of the new tunes make it onto the setlist and how they play live.

nothing wrong with that, IMO. This is closer to the vibe I thought djent would go towards until it got heavily contaminated by prog

Or, the common djent bands idea of "prog" haha

I'm not saying playing to backing tracks is bad, my band does it. That said, when we use a backing track, we don't put lead guitar parts on it. We put rhythm parts on it, and both guitarists play the lead parts. That is not what Marc has been doing since Eclipse dropped. I know for a fact that Marc is capable of playing all of the leads in Unbreakable, because I've seen him do it less than ten feet from me, but that doesn't excuse him choosing to play the chugs under the leads, and having the leads prerecorded. That's just plain lazy. I don't know how he doesn't get bored letting a computer play so many of his leads and just chugging along to it.

Dude, have you ever tried playing leads in crab stance? Its tough business:agreed:

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score

yeah man it is so lazy to jump in a van with 3 other dudes, drive yourselves all across north america playing shows to more dudes every night when probably 20% of your "fans" are assholes waiting to tear down the slightest misstep, sleep in the van, eat on like $10 a day, try and play your ass off even though you feel like .... night in night out, for a month at a time. You are right. Mega lazy.

-One-

Not So Kool-Aid
Reaction score
yeah man it is so lazy to jump in a van with 3 other dudes, drive yourselves all across north america playing shows to more dudes every night when probably 20% of your "fans" are assholes waiting to tear down the slightest misstep, sleep in the van, eat on like $10 a day, try and play your ass off even though you feel like .... night in night out, for a month at a time. You are right. Mega lazy.
He's not lazy when it comes to making money, he's just gotten lazy with his guitar playing when playing live. If you've seen VoM enough times, you should know this. Marc's playing used to be spot on without any backing tracks, he would just use a looper and a harmonizer. Now, Marc's playing is sloppier, and he lets the backing tracks play most of the "difficult" leads. That is lazy guitar playing, no way around it. Don't try to misconstrue my post just because you don't agree with it :noway:

anomynous

Reaction score

None of that has anything to do with letting the backing tracks do the leads.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
He's not lazy when it comes to making money, he's just gotten lazy with his guitar playing when playing live. If you've seen VoM enough times, you should know this. Marc's playing used to be spot on without any backing tracks, he would just use a looper and a harmonizer. Now, Marc's playing is sloppier, and he lets the backing tracks play most of the "difficult" leads. That is lazy guitar playing, no way around it. Don't try to misconstrue my post just because you don't agree with it :noway:

I've seen VoM plenty of times. You can't tell me that I know anything. He never has been spot on when I saw him. I recall him having to start a song over... twice, because he messed up the loop on his first couple times. Even if he is only playing VoM rhythms they don't count as lazy... have you learned any of their songs? let's see you play Not Safe to Swim Today at the tempo he plays it live :nuts:

buddy is doing enough. last time I saw Josh Travis, I'm not convinced his amp was even on. the place went crazy anyways because in the end, people just want a good show. you can be a geek and pick apart a guy actually hitting the road with his music all you want ... thank ....in god you are in a tiny elitist internet only minority nobody really cares about

UnattendedGolfcart

SSO's Fat Mac
Reaction score
Even if he is only playing VoM rhythms they don't count as lazy... have you learned any of their songs? let's see you play Not Safe to Swim Today at the tempo he plays it live :nuts:

The person who made the music and then can't perform it is not justified in their sloppiness just because people who didn't make the music and criticize it can't perform it.

It's literally Marc's job to be able to perform the music he creates on the level that he created it. It's no other person's job. You don't have to be able to play everything perfectly because the responsibility doesn't fall on you.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
The person who made the music and then can't perform it is not justified in their sloppiness just because people who didn't make the music and criticize it can't perform it.

It's literally Marc's job to be able to perform the music he creates on the level that he created it. It's no other person's job. You don't have to be able to play everything perfectly because the responsibility doesn't fall on you.

I was actually just pointing out that even if he is only playing his rhythms, that is the furthest thing from lazy guitar playing... I've been on the Internet for awhile there bud, don't think I'd fall into this stupid argument like that

Wildebeest

Reaction score
This album sounds like Baby Periphery. People seem to love it though so good for the band I guess. I miss Brandon, that dude was raw.

Entropy Prevails

Reaction score
let's see you play Not Safe to Swim Today at the tempo he plays it live :nuts:

I´m so tired of this argument. You don´t need to be a musician to criticize music, just as you don´t need to be a politician to discuss politics. Why do people keep bringing this up?

If he has written and released the music and cannot play it live, then to me it´s inauthentic. The whole point of a liveshow is to see the band play their songs in the flesh. For anything else I have an ipod.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
I´m so tired of this argument. You don´t need to be a musician to criticize music, just as you don´t need to be a politician to discuss politics. Why do people keep bringing this up?

If he has written and released the music and cannot play it live, then to me it´s inauthentic. The whole point of a liveshow is to see the band play their songs in the flesh. For anything else I have an ipod.

I was actually just pointing out that even if he is only playing his rhythms, that is the furthest thing from lazy guitar playing... I've been on the Internet for awhile there bud, don't think I'd fall into this stupid argument like that

way to read the whole thread there buddy. absolutely outstanding job, congratulations.

side issue: what leads are we even talking about here? I can think of some easy atmospheric parts in which case, big ....in deal - the chugs are harder to play anyway - and one guest solo done by Jason Richardson on one of the new songs.

Entropy Prevails

Reaction score
way to read the whole thread there buddy. absolutely outstanding job, congratulations.

side issue: what leads are we even talking about here? I can think of some easy atmospheric parts in which case, big ....in deal - the chugs are harder to play anyway - and one guest solo done by Jason Richardson on one of the new songs.

Thanks! And congratulations back to you for not reading my post. It seems you´re too biased and butthurt to have a reasonable discussion. I won´t bother with your posts in this thread from now on.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Count me in the same "what leads?" bracket, what do you guys mean when you say he's putting his leads in the backing track?

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
Saw em tonight, sick show. They started a little shaky but got awesome. Was too bad Three-Fifty and Mowgli didn't make the playlist.

I didn't catch any samples aside from song intros. He doesn't use loops much on the new stuff, but for the couple old tunes he played with loops he still performed them in the way he did when he was using a looper pedal ... chugs first 8 bars or whatever, then atmospheric next 8, then second go around the loop would come in and he'd play the chugs.

shpence

Reaction score
I am liking this more and more with each listen. The tone is awesome and is my favorite that Larson has done so far. Makes me want to get a 50w 5150/Archon combo going!

Pweaks

Reaction score
The new album sounds pretty good, I especially like the last two tracks. Though, I have to say I miss the raw energy Michael Keene captured on CMC and [id]. Also I'm pretty certain Marc is using a 7 string guitar, at least on Aeris. Can anyone confirm on that?

-One-

Not So Kool-Aid
Reaction score
The new album sounds pretty good, I especially like the last two tracks. Though, I have to say I miss the raw energy Michael Keene captured on CMC and [id]. Also I'm pretty certain Marc is using a 7 string guitar, at least on Aeris. Can anyone confirm on that?
Yeah, a handful of tracks are on a 7-string tuned to Drop B like his 6-strings, but with a low F# below that.

Latest posts