Tightest high gain amps under $1000 used?

• Thread starter MoistTowelette
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
5150/6505, eh?
The 5150II/6505+ are easily much tighter, owing to the extra high pass filtering going on. Why would the OP want the looser version of the amps if they're asking for tightness?
Although I agree with you TWAT on the 5150III, that thing is tight as hell
I don’t think the 6505+ is really tight without being boosted a lot. The new EVH 5150iii (not peavey 5150) amps are definitely tighter, and they feel pre-boosted.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I don’t think the 6505+ is really tight without being boosted a lot. The new EVH 5150iii (not peavey 5150) amps are definitely tighter, and they feel pre-boosted.

If you dont think a 5150 is super tight, it's the settings you've used.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's interesting how the amp "tightness war" has shifted perception on what a "tight" amp is.

Folks talking about 5150s and derivatives as if they're pre-multiwatt three channel Dual Rectos is amazing.

Just an observation.

As for amps themselves, without knowing what exactly you're trying to get out of it (examples would be great) as well as what your current rig is, it's hard to really give a good recommendation.

Not to mention, one of the biggest factors is going to be the cab your putting the amp through. Even something known for being tight can be mush through the wrong cab.

I'd say the tightest rig under $1k would be a 5150 boosted with whatever TS you can afford into a Marshall Mode Four cab. Should be able to grab all that for the price.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Folks talking about 5150s and derivatives as if they're pre-multiwatt three channel Dual Rectos is amazing.

I'm a little unclear on how to parse this: are the multiwatts super tight?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm a little unclear on how to parse this: are the multiwatts super tight?

Not really, but they are tighter, and more importantly: less fizzy, than the older three channel variant.

I was just pointing towards what I feel is the least tight and most fizz and boom producing Recto.

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
If you dont think a 5150 is super tight, it's the settings you've used.
What would you recommend? I’m a 6505+ user and I generally feel that it isn’t butt-clenchingly tight, like a recto. I love it, but it is a more violent and less refined sound. Feels more “organic” I am generally close to 6/6/6/6/6 settings, although I sometimes up the treble and presence.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
For me the 5150II/6505+ were tight enough without needing a boost 24/7. Unless you needed surgical djent precision then a boost was needed.

6505/5150s IMO need a boost if you wanna downtune. You could get away with it in at most drop C IMO, but for super tight stuff, a boost is needed.

Also FWIW, even EVH thought the 5150 wasn't tight enough :lol:, which is why James Brown modded Eddie's main 5150 to sound tighter... Which eventually lead to the 5150II.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
What would you recommend? I’m a 6505+ user and I generally feel that it isn’t butt-clenchingly tight, like a recto. I love it, but it is a more violent and less refined sound. Feels more “organic” I am generally close to 6/6/6/6/6 settings, although I sometimes up the treble and presence.

Less gain, lower resonance, and can probably get away with treble and presence on 5 as well. If those are red channel settings, try gain on 3 (pick like you mean it), all eq at 4 or noon, and get the master working.

MoistTowelette

Reaction score
Kinda off topic but is a triple rectifier manageable at bedroom volume (by turning down the master to near zero and turning up the preamp)? I was just checking my local craigslist and I found one listed at a decent price. I don't need it to get whisper quiet, just quiet enough so my neighbors don't kill me.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Kinda off topic but is a triple rectifier manageable at bedroom volume (by turning down the master to near zero and turning up the preamp)? I was just checking my local craigslist and I found one listed at a decent price. I don't need it to get whisper quiet, just quiet enough so my neighbors don't kill me.

I don't think there's a master volume amp that's not at least decent at lower volume, but it's certainly not ideal, then again you can mitigate a lot of issues with proper speaker and cabinet selection.

What version of the Triple is it?

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
Less gain, lower resonance, and can probably get away with treble and presence on 5 as well. If those are red channel settings, try gain on 3 (pick like you mean it), all eq at 4 or noon, and get the master working.
will try later, thanks!

Humbuck

Can't stop, won't stop
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a great dual Rec right there...perfect! 2 channel...nice! Offer 700, maybe take it home for 750, get an od808 and a gate out in front of it and you're golden!

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Yeah that Rev G Recto will be tighter and less fizzy than the old pre-2010 2ch Dual Rectos. Still might want a boost.

EDIT: Buy an Airis Savage Drive. Thank me later.

Last edited:

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
I had an SLX for a little while and didn't dig it at all without a boost, wasn't crazy with one either. I'd like to try another but the DSL 20HR sounds way more appealing. I traded the SLX for a Mesa OS Slant Straight cab cause my Peavey Ultra 120 murdered it. Try an Ultra, pre XXX. Not as thick as a 5150/6505 but that's what you want.

Thrashman

Got Groove?
Reaction score
PRS MT15, essentially a mini archon. under 600 new - seriously one of the best amps I have ever played. Makes me want to buy one to use alongside my Axe FX.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
How would you compare the tone/feel between the CL and the UL?

I see the CL’s for sale every once in a while but I’ve never seen a UL here in the U.K.

Surprisingly small difference. I haven't cranked it loud and compared it, but I honestly expected more of a difference. I would think you'd do fine with a CL. But, get the 100CL, that way you have the bigger bottom end. I don't have one of those, but it'll give you that big iron sound, and diminish the difference between the EL34s and KT88s even more.