Unpopular Opinions

• Thread starter Mortargag
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
These motherfuckers weren't doing anything anyways. Most people on forums just want to buy shit and get attention for having it. Many of them have no plans to keep the shit they get. They just take pics and sell it off for the next thing.

People who are going to make music, make music. The rest just sit around discussing which hand made boutique tube screamer pairs best with NOS Tungsols.

This is also why you can rarely ever get motherfuckers in forums to post clips of anything. Everyone keeps claiming they have the tone of the gods and in the age of easily accessible cameras you can't ever get any of these bitches to prove it and it's not even a thing that gets asked.

They just want to talk about shit, not actually do it.
I happily provide clips for people to ignore :lol: and then there’s always a chance a thing gets sold. I love my les pauls but if I get an itch for say a replica or a different shape? Well we’ll have to see. It was jazzmasters before it was back to lp’s, but home has always been lp’s.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
1 .Almost all online lessons are a waste of money. Sorry that youtuber Bernth is not going to give you a magic short cut that will save you "years" worth of practice. Stop obsessing about the perfect way to learn/improve and just work on what you suck at (which is likely almost everything).

2. The people that bought Rick Beato's "music theory" book are beyond saving.

3. Most entry level guitars are of such poor quality that it hurts the industry as a whole. Giving new players high action, impossible to keep in tune guitars will just lead to them giving up early. The brands can only blame themselves when there is a lack of new players to enter the hobby. Entry level guitars should be the best setup out of the box because that is exactly what a new player needs. While on that subject many mid range guitars are total garbage and not really worth it over a $400 MIC Squier sadly.

Couldn’t disagree more.

1. Right now is the best time in history to learn music. You have unlimited unfettered access to more info than a human being could consume in a lifetime. When I started was the same as Troy Grady. We had to record the song we wanted to learn on cassette and then replay over and over again hoping to figure out what was going on. Sometimes we got lucky and it was captured on 240p VHS quality recording. Meanwhile you can look up anything and find it for free, or find countless musicians with lessons. I had one guitar teacher in my town. He told me I sucked and to quit and that guitar wasn’t for me lol. I had no other choice. Meanwhile now I can do a video chat lesson with Paul Gilbert.

2. I own the book. I think its shortcoming is that it’s a music theory book for an established musician. If you bought it looking to learn theory you won’t. It more of a musician’s desk reference. I don’t personally recommend it to anyone because everything that’s in it can be found online for free, just not collated.

3. Entry level guitars are the best they’ve ever been. They’re shockingly insane quality for the price. My $200 Slick LP from Guitarfetish looks killer IMO, plays great, and sounds really good. I have a bunch of Squiers I picked up on sale from $200-400 and they are awesome. I’d put several of them up against anything. Are they as good as my $13,300 PRS Private Stock guitars? Not quite. But they’re 80-90% IMO. At a certain price point you’re just lying for rarity, status, options, and/or refinement beyond what a working musician requires. Legit quality and performance guitars, pedals, and amps can all be bought for low prices. I was just looking at a Blackstar HT5 as an amp to take with me while I’m away for work. That thing sounds amazing and has a ton of options for the price. Nevermind how good all these cheap Amazon type pedals like Joyo are nowadays.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Matt08642

Reaction score
3. Most entry level guitars are of such poor quality that it hurts the industry as a whole. Giving new players high action, impossible to keep in tune guitars will just lead to them giving up early. The brands can only blame themselves when there is a lack of new players to enter the hobby. Entry level guitars should be the best setup out of the box because that is exactly what a new player needs. While on that subject many mid range guitars are total garbage and not really worth it over a $400 MIC Squier sadly.

This is an extreme case of luck of the draw that I've thought about for a long time. Maybe someone who could have been a virtuoso got an unplayable piece of shit as a first guitar and quit the hobby in months :lol: Whatever the case, I feel extremely lucky that the random Squier Strat I got in a starter pack was by sheer luck an exceptionally well made guitar that I still play almost 20 years on.

Before forums (followed by smartphones) advertising was mostly paper, tv and radio. All fairly easy to avoid.

Move to computers, introduce cheaper laptops, eventually phones - and now advertising and scrolling are kicking into higher gear. If you’re already on a forum you may have multiple tabs open. Probably not working on your EP at the same time all this is going on, y’know?

Jokes on you, I was never working on anything anyway!

owlexifry

Reaction score
rarely ever get motherfuckers in forums to post clips of anything. Everyone keeps claiming they have the tone of the gods and in the age of easily accessible cameras you can't ever get any of these bitches to prove it and it's not even a thing that gets asked.

They just want to talk about shit, not actually do it.
Because they aren't interested in actual results...just talking about shit. And if they promote a culture of "show don't tell" that means they will have to do the same...and they certainly don't want that.
im glad to hear this being pointed out.

all talk and no walk.

I happily provide clips for people to ignore

people are happy to talk shit and gather opinions blindly from just about anyone on here, and it's kinda weird how there's rarely evidence to back up the talk, and the only time that seems to happen is a reference to a youtube clip made by someone else.

sometimes I see folks posting clips / demos, and yep they get ignored.
actually worse, you'll get smartarse dickheads mocking them or chastising them for daring to post a youtube clip. FISHING FOR VIEWS!! WAAHHHHHHH.
omg stfu and let the poor cunt show off his riffs/tones...
OHHH WAHH HE'S JUST TRYING TO BOOST HIS YT CHANNEL. who the fuck cares? let him. at least he's not spamming a stupid fucken tone stone or some other dumb product.
i'd rather see a ghost account share a clip about something they've worked on than some douchecanoe bragging about the latest rite of brand worship they've participated in.

sadly no one's going to give a fuck about any clip you post if you're not some gilded youtuber with a mass of followers, like that's some sort of credential. having said that, I'm sure badseed and guitarjon know what the fuck they're talking about, given their enormous caches for comparisons.

TL;DR
what's the point, no one cares anyway.

lost_horizon

Reaction score
Found some MGLA presets in the Eleven Rack database, decided to give them a spin.

Absolutely love their sound. Very simple riffs executed brilliantly.

Are they really death metal? Exercises in futility IV intro sounds like a Dokken intro....

Their parts sound like the guitarists from Dark Tranquility roughed up. Which i don't see as a bad thing.

Reaction score
im glad to hear this being pointed out.

all talk and no walk.

people are happy to talk shit and gather opinions blindly from just about anyone on here, and it's kinda weird how there's rarely evidence to back up the talk, and the only time that seems to happen is a reference to a youtube clip made by someone else.

sometimes I see folks posting clips / demos, and yep they get ignored.
actually worse, you'll get smartarse dickheads mocking them or chastising them for daring to post a youtube clip. FISHING FOR VIEWS!! WAAHHHHHHH.
omg stfu and let the poor cunt show off his riffs/tones...
OHHH WAHH HE'S JUST TRYING TO BOOST HIS YT CHANNEL. who the fuck cares? let him. at least he's not spamming a stupid fucken tone stone or some other dumb product.
i'd rather see a ghost account share a clip about something they've worked on than some douchecanoe bragging about the latest rite of brand worship they've participated in.

sadly no one's going to give a fuck about any clip you post if you're not some gilded youtuber with a mass of followers, like that's some sort of credential. having said that, I'm sure badseed and guitarjon know what the fuck they're talking about, given their enormous caches for comparisons.

TL;DR
what's the point, no one cares anyway.
giphy.gif

USMarine75

Contributor
Reaction score
I posted a snarky reply to an IG post and it has 1500+ likes.

Meanwhile, I post original pics of my rare Peavey guitars along with little known details and them… and it gets 9 likes.

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
recordings, live vids, and more of my band below 👀

JAWA

I'm gonna steer the topic back I guess. :lol:

Full thickness guitars are overrated. My favorite Les Pauls tbh are the thinner bodies ESP Eclipses and PRS Singlecuts. Melody makers are also cool.

I like FT on a Gibson but I also love the crap out of my S2 sc594

lost_horizon

Reaction score
I'm gonna steer the topic back I guess. :lol:

Full thickness guitars are overrated. My favorite Les Pauls tbh are the thinner bodies ESP Eclipses and PRS Singlecuts. Melody makers are also cool.
Gary Holt uses a Yamaha SG 3000 in the studio, it's so heavy he can only play it sitting down and can't tour with it. The pickups are cheapo replacements.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
I'm starting to get into sounds of the middle pickup. Barely anyone uses it on its own sans Rory Gallagher and Albert Hammond Jr from The Strokes, and those who do only use for out of phase sounds on position 2 and 4. But I'm loving the in between sounds for both cleans and the odd lead here and there.

I'll have to get a guitar with 3 P90s or 3 Humbuckers later down the line. Or mod an RG with them...

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This is an extreme case of luck of the draw that I've thought about for a long time. Maybe someone who could have been a virtuoso got an unplayable piece of shit as a first guitar and quit the hobby in months :lol: Whatever the case, I feel extremely lucky that the random Squier Strat I got in a starter pack was by sheer luck an exceptionally well made guitar that I still play almost 20 years on.

Jokes on you, I was never working on anything anyway!
Yup, I am the type of person that will wait months for a guitar and it will show up broken or have something like a twisted neck.

Also as I approach every traffic light it will turn red. Takes me forever to get anywhere. I am just slightly off synch with the universe.

More unpopular opinions. Celestion speakers suck. Why? Because they vary so much between the years you never know what you will actually get. V30s, Greenbacks or anything else, no consistency.

USMarine75

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm starting to get into sounds of the middle pickup. Barely anyone uses it on its own sans Rory Gallagher and Albert Hammond Jr from The Strokes, and those who do only use for out of phase sounds on position 2 and 4. But I'm loving the in between sounds for both cleans and the odd lead here and there.

I'll have to get a guitar with 3 P90s or 3 Humbuckers later down the line. Or mod an RG with them...

Yeah I’ve never understood why people don’t like and use the middle single more often. Whenever people complain about the bridge single being too shrill on a Strat I have then use the middle and they’re like where has this been all my life lol. It’s great for rhythm and also leads where you want less bass and more highs, but you don’t want to commit to the neck or bridge. Plus I love it for articulating sweep arpeggios.

_MonSTeR_

Reaction score
After reading some of the comments in here, I've got an actual unpopular opinion (and sincerely held) - country music is the best form of music to have ever been conceived. It's depth and breadth far outpace anything in other music forms in that it has genuinely incorporated all manner of musical innovation and contains the full range of emotional expression, political discourse and social commentary into a continuous, cohesive style that is strikingly diverse and yet undeniably country.

Where rock falls short with nothing left to rebel against, country comfortably occupies the "normal". Where popular music may tend towards vapid, meaningless drivel, country can turn to inspection of culture's darkest corners. Country is outlaw, it's conformist, it's big trucks and NASCAR, it's a solemn lament to God, it's calling for social justice, it's "kids ain't right these days", it's virtuosic musicianship, it's three chords over and over.

So yeah, TL;DR - country doesn't suck, you suck 😂😂😂
As a suburban, middle aged British guy, bro-county music (at least the stuff I've familiarised myself with) seems like an romanticised version of the life we were promised by the American television shows from my childhood. It's blue skies, open roads and good times. Which is exactly what I want from radio music for a road trip...

I'm not saying country music doesn't get deeper, because I recognise that it absolutely can, as I'm sure "normal" pop music does, but country seems to be so much more relatable to my childhood based aspirations than the stuff I'd hear on "normal" UK radio nowadays which seems so alien to me.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Yeah I’ve never understood why people don’t like and use the middle single more often. Whenever people complain about the bridge single being too shrill on a Strat I have then use the middle and they’re like where has this been all my life lol. It’s great for rhythm and also leads where you want less bass and more highs, but you don’t want to commit to the neck or bridge. Plus I love it for articulating sweep arpeggios.

For most people it gets in the way of their picking, especially pickups with staggered pole pieces. The quick solution is to sink the pickup down, but it affects the sound, IME to its detriment. Sinking the pickup will also have volume drop especially between dual humbuckers. Guys like Vai and Herman Li have the luxury to have signature middle pickups, usually increased output to compensate lower pickup, but these guys usually use the middle for position 2/4 anyway, certainly in Vai's case. Hell, Blackmore and Yngwie just cut the pretense and disengage the pickup altogether. Looking at my pickup history, all my HSH guitars have hotter middle pickups too since having a volume drop on it really bothered me.

Granted that it took me a long time to fully embrace the benefits of the middle pickup on its own, I can see why most people disregard it. Certainly, metal players who only need or want a humbucker or 2.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I posted a snarky reply to an IG post and it has 1500+ likes.

Meanwhile, I post original pics of my rare Peavey guitars along with little known details and them… and it gets 9 likes.

Comments sections everywhere are basically taken over by kids trying to be the edgiest NPC in Pleasantville. That's what bleeds. This is not the day and age for intelligent online content. Don't feel bad, you're not the problem.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
but little time was put into setup or none at all
Maybe this is its own unpopular opinion:
The setup is not part of the quality of the guitar. As long as it's possible to be setup correctly, it's not really fair to judge an entry level instrument on its factory setup. If it can be solved in 10 minutes with a hex wrench and a google search (or reading the manual), then it's not a quality problem.